Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 10:59 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I wonder if LA's urban core or DC is adding more units right now (both adaptive reuse and new construction). I know DC's height limits exert a lot of pressure to build up while LA's urban core's pressures come from a lack of supply compared to overall demand as well as massive foreign direct investment. LA's certainly going to have more high rises because of those height limits in DC, but does anyone have a count on which is actually adding more total units?
I don't know for the larger core but there are just over 10,000 units under construction in the 3 square miles of DTLA right now. My guess is that's a clear majority of what's happening not just the core but LA city on the whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 11:29 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
How many multi-family units are actually U/C in DC at this moment?
I'll see if I can get a rough count. I know Capital Riverfront has over 6,000 units U/C. NOMA/Union Market also has around 6,000 units U/C. That's just two neighborhoods. It's pretty insane right now. I don't even keep count anymore like I used to because the construction is getting out of hand. Supposedly we are still filling 400 unit buildings up in 6-9 months so they keep breaking ground on more. We are probably somewhere between 25,000-30,000 units citywide that are either about to deliver, under construction, or have just broken ground but that is just a guess. I'll see if I can get a count when I have the time.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I don't know for the larger core but there are just over 10,000 units under construction in the 3 square miles of DTLA right now. My guess is that's a clear majority of what's happening not just the core but LA city on the whole.
LA is so much larger so there is no way DC has more in the city. I don't know about region though. The hardest part about the count is not knowing which buildings have delivered. Also, we have buildings that are supposed to have broken ground that get held up with reviews by DCRA.

I'm a developer so I deal with DCRA which is our permit office in DC and they are a mess. Trying to get through all the reviews to get approval is insane. You would be surprised the amount of things they want us to pay for. We are building a 150 unit building that is supposed to break ground by August and DDOE just asked us to provide pervious concrete to get Stormwater Managment approval.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:16 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
LA is so much larger so there is no way DC has more in the city.
I'm not so sure about that. I doubt that we have over 20,000 under construction right now. There's a few thousand in Hollywood. Maybe the same in koreatown. Mid city maybe a few hundred or one thousand. It's hard to say. I don't know if a comprehensive list except downtown.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I'm not so sure about that. I doubt that we have over 20,000 under construction right now. There's a few thousand in Hollywood. Maybe the same in koreatown. Mid city maybe a few hundred or one thousand. It's hard to say. I don't know if a comprehensive list except downtown.
We are delivering around 15,000 units a year as a region with the lionshare of that coming from DC proper. Construction is speeding up now actually after a slow to construction starts early in the year. We have thousands of units that are supposed to be breaking ground by the end of the year, but we also have thousands of units delivering so it's hard to keep track of what has finished up and what has broken ground. Some buildings break ground but don't start actually digging for another month or so. You know how that goes.

Either way, downtown LA is building an incredible amount of housing that is really transforming that area. We are just finishing up a strategic plan to begin the repurposing of many of our downtown office buildings to residential. We also just changed our downtown overlay to include an area three times the size it used to be to incentivize residential construction through density bonuses. DC's downtown is about to go through a complete (and much needed) remake. As for the other areas across the city, if you haven't been here in awhile, you need to plan a trip soon. You're going to be blown away by the level of construction activity.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:53 PM

This link shows different neighborhoods and their population density despite their design. Very interesting stuff and shows that urban design has more to do with high density than building type. It would be interesting if someone could do this for L.A. too.

What do 80,000 people in a square mile look like? Depends on where you put them. - Greater Greater Washington

Old 12-19-2020, 10:22 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Fascinating thread. I'll chime in. I'm a fan boy of both LA and DC. What I like about LA is there's this unbridled energy about it. But, I think DC feels more walkable and I'd like to point out that most of the inner burbs around DC have a lot of high rises with low level retail. You could live in Clarendon and never have to leave a 3 mile radius. You need a car in LA. LA is sprawlish, like Atlanta, Houston, Dallas etc.
Lord I was so young. I find it ironic that I've lived in both DC and LA and can't figure out which I would prefer. Life is good I guess

Old 12-19-2020, 10:39 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Wow, resurrected thread!

I think outside the top 5, Seattle, Boston, DC, would be the top candidates. As for walking, Seattle is quite good plus you get that great calf workout due to the hills.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:33 PM

Coming back to this thread 4-years later, DC has definitely changed the most across the city overall compared to NYC, Chicago, Boston, San Fran, Philadelphia, Seattle, or LA. The city builds in every neighborhood so I don’t know if any other cities have changed citywide compared to DC.

Old 12-19-2020, 11:33 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Wow, resurrected thread!

I think outside the top 5, Seattle, Boston, DC, would be the top candidates. As for walking, Seattle is quite good plus you get that great calf workout due to the hills.
OP put Bosotn in the top 5. NYC Chicago SF Philly Boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City