Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 02:08 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Neither are terribly walkable on the whole but Atlanta is a lot more walkable than Houston is. That is for sure.
When you compare them with the top 7, they're both a joke, but Atlanta is still more walkable than Houston no doubts about that. He wanted to come up with a smart ass remark to me so I had to prove him wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 02:16 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I think you need a new "book", then, esp. for Miami.

Miami is not a particularly walker-friendly city, and is laughably far from "perfect" in terms of the pedestrian realm. Even right downtown isn't very pleasant from the pedestrian perspective. It's all giant parking garage podiums and blank walls.
Really? Little Havana, Allapattah, Edgewater? How about Coral Gables or North Miami as suburbs?

Old 06-15-2015, 02:54 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I think you need a new "book", then, esp. for Miami.

Miami is not a particularly walker-friendly city, and is laughably far from "perfect" in terms of the pedestrian realm. Even right downtown isn't very pleasant from the pedestrian perspective. It's all giant parking garage podiums and blank walls.
Just right for ME. Everyone doesn't desire a highly compact city like New York or San Francisco. I would have no interest in living in downtown Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Houston didn't rank higher than Atlanta....as % of residential, about 25% live in 70+ in Atlanta while not even 5% in Houston.

And if we do 80+ walkscore, it's even more tilted in Atlanta's favor. Face it. Atlanta is more walkable than Houston. Get over it.

80+ Walkscore:

Atlanta: 43016 with 10 neighborhoods
Houston: 37539 with 2 neighborhoods

Houston is a far larger city than Atlanta is.
I'm referring to this right there, from the OP:
Quote:
20. Houston | 97,404 people
21. Atlanta | 95,299 people
We quickly forget that Atlanta's unusually small city limits will skew things like this in its favor. But even if we were to look at urban areas, Houston is easily more dense all around. Atlanta has a slight advantage in its core, but the decline of walkability as you get further from downtown is less dramatic in Houston.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 06-15-2015 at 03:10 PM..

Old 06-15-2015, 03:04 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Thanks for doing this! Interesting data.

As far as having good walkability in the suburbs, Los Angeles is probably one of the best in this regard. Lots of areas with even 90+ walkability 5+ miles from the core.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:12 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Thanks for doing this! Interesting data.

As far as having good walkability in the suburbs, Los Angeles is probably one of the best in this regard. Lots of areas with even 90+ walkability 5+ miles from the core.
Do you mean 5+ miles from the city limits? Because I'm pretty sure in most directions 5 miles is still city and not suburb in LA.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:30 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Miami's 'ghettos' are not like Chicago ghettos. Dreary landscapes of rotting homes, boarded up shops, and liquor stores.

They are loaded with stores and strip malls. You might not consider that the epitome of walkable but at least Miami residents do have their choices unlike the blacks in the middle of your Chicago's southside.
LOL. I guess you n ever walked around Scott's Projects in Liberty City by Northwestern.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:35 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Do you mean 5+ miles from the city limits? Because I'm pretty sure in most directions 5 miles is still city and not suburb in LA.
Well I meant city core, but I guess the emphasis should have been on the "+", maybe more like the 7-20 mile from the core range.

A problem with figuring this out is that suburban cities usually are not subdivided on Walkscore. I wouldn't count as being in a 70+ walkscore neighborhood because the entire city of Pasadena is measured (and gets a score of 62) even though my walkscore is 86. The same issue happens in Glendale and Long Beach. I'm sure it happens to other suburban/satellite cities around the country.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:15 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Just right for ME. Everyone doesn't desire a highly compact city like New York or San Francisco. I would have no interest in living in downtown Miami.

I'm referring to this right there, from the OP:

We quickly forget that Atlanta's unusually small city limits will skew things like this in its favor. But even if we were to look at urban areas, Houston is easily more dense all around. Atlanta has a slight advantage in its core, but the decline of walkability as you get further from downtown is less dramatic in Houston.
You mean, Houston's unusually large city limits? Atlanta's city limits are a little below average. Atlanta's urban core is more compact and cohesive than Houston's is and Houston does not have a neighborhood that can stand up to Midtown Atlanta for walkability.

You know what I kind of hate about Walkscore? That a neighborhood like this in the video only scored a 54. It's a classic walkable neighborhood in Atlanta with restaurants, shopping, and residential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFPU8KxRrdI

It's not very good at reading what's walkable and what's not. You can't see some of the residential units in the neighborhood, but here are some in the photos. Most people would consider this walkable.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:15 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I wonder what European cities would look like on walk score? Would most of the major cities be 80+ average? I can imagine cities like Paris or Rome above 90 average and would be number one in America since I considrr Paris and Rome far more walkable than NYC.
There's a thread on the World forum on "what's your walk score", there are some issues in other countries especially ones more culturally different from the US on missing shops. England has few problems, Italy some more, Latin Americans a lot more since a lot of the commerce is causal. There aren't city scores for outside the US & Canada just by address. Seemed like Europeans tended to get high numbers, but many weren't getting 90s or even 80s. I doubt Paris would much different from NYC since it just measure proximity to shops not being pedestrian friendly. There's also the city limit difference.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:29 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,338,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Really? Little Havana, Allapattah, Edgewater? How about Coral Gables or North Miami as suburbs?
No way are those areas close to "perfect" walkability. They aren't even good walkability.

The only places in the South with good walkability would be New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, and Miami Beach. And even those areas are far from perfect. I'm not aware of any other such places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City