Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 06:37 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I know several people who live in the NW suburbs (some of the more desirable ones in terms of school districts) and none of them describe it as an "easy" commute. The other thing to consider is that in many of those suburbs you have to "commute" to get to the Metra, and depending on how demanding his job is Metra may not run late enough.

My bigger point though, was that if you live in the suburbs you really don't get a chance to fully enjoy all that Chicago has to offer, imo. There are exceptions (Oak Park/some other Western suburbs, Evanston, etc). That's why I mentioned the weekend in my earlier post.
I think you missed my point. I was merely responding to your notion that you can't enjoy Chicago if you live in the suburbs during a weekday. That is just false. I have friends who live in the suburbs, not near a city train line who have no problems doing it. Hell, I once dated a girl who lived in a southern suburb who would come into the city on weeknights no problem. Tons of people do it whether it's for a sporting event, going out to dinner, or some other event. To think that the only people enjoying themselves in the city, even on a Wednesday night, are just people who live in the city or tourists is just not true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 08:05 PM

89 posts, read 132,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
I agree with your point, but why be so defensive? You could just as easily and simply correct the misinformation.

The belligerence diminishes your post.
That's how most people from Sacramento respond. They are very defensive because what you said is quite true. Sac can't compete even with similar sized cities such as Portland in terms of art and culture let alone Chicago.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:13 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,864,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I think you missed my point. I was merely responding to your notion that you can't enjoy Chicago if you live in the suburbs during a weekday. That is just false. I have friends who live in the suburbs, not near a city train line who have no problems doing it. Hell, I once dated a girl who lived in a southern suburb who would come into the city on weeknights no problem. Tons of people do it whether it's for a sporting event, going out to dinner, or some other event. To think that the only people enjoying themselves in the city, even on a Wednesday night, are just people who live in the city or tourists is just not true.
The OP mentioned he is also looking for good schools, so I assume he has kids. If you work a demanding job and have kids you're not going to be hanging out in the city regularly during the week if you live in the suburbs. If he was a single person in his 20-30's then okay. I didn't mean you "can't" (in absolute terms) enjoy Chicago during the week if you live in the suburbs. I said you can't enjoy all the city has to offer (as a figure of speech); and it was based on the OP's situation of having kids and potentially living in the suburbs. Sure he could have a few nights out in the city during the week, but he would be able to enjoy it more if he actually lived in the city.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:17 AM

6,885 posts, read 8,263,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILife09 View Post
That's how most people from Sacramento respond. They are very defensive because what you said is quite true. Sac can't compete even with similar sized cities such as Portland in terms of art and culture let alone Chicago.
There is plenty of Arts and Culture in Sacramento.

The City of Sacramento is 485,000, metro 2.3 million. I would say it has just the right amount of Art and Culture.

Tons of outdoor cafes and restaurants, high cuisine at half big city prices, great mexican and asian food like most California cities.

Street life, street performers, respectable night life scene

Top notch museums, philharmonic, Musical theatre in the Round (65 year old cultutual institution, think musical summer stock), Musical theatre through-out the year, several medium size musical venues.

A New Downtown sports-entertainment complex is currently being built for big name concerts and for the NBA. (It will replace the current 32+ year old facility). New complex is called the Golden One Center. (Golden One is one of the largest credit unions in the nation with its headquarters in Sacramento)

Downtown SAC and Downtown SF by car can be easily done in 1hr 10mins with light traffic so that adds a whole over level of cultural options; Berkeley is 55mins away. The Amtrak has 12 trains a day to the Bay with direct connections to BART.

I live in Sacramento and in defense of Pistola; he is usually very fair I suspect it was a knew jerk response after years of living in SF, lol. notice how he lives half his time in SF.

I lived many years in LA and SF, Sacramentans are by far more humble and friendly and midwest-like with a West Coast Vibe.

Now, for HiLife, he will jump on every opportunity to put down Sacramento.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:42 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,909,459 times
^ Yes, it doesn't have zero art. However, compared to Chicago in pretty much all those categories whether it's arts, theatre, food, etc - it's not going to come out ahead.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:55 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Sac reminded me of a giant suburb. It wasnt bad by any sense, but Chicago and its suburbs just offer more. To think otherwise is bizarre.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:12 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Downtown SAC and Downtown SF by car can be easily done in 1hr 10mins with light traffic so that adds a whole over level of cultural options; Berkeley is 55mins away.
Yeah if you can manage to drive 80mph the entire way....

Old 06-23-2015, 03:15 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
As a fast lane only driver, I would say 80mph is the average left lane speed, with no congestion obviously.

80 off the freeway is another story.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:30 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
I question how much you actually drive in the Bay Area if you think 80mph is the average left lane speed.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:40 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,592 times
With no traffic yeah.

Edited before I saw post below - Oh SF to Sac is not something I do (regularly) so you got me there but I wasnt being completely serious in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City