Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most liberal metro among the big 4 in the South
Atlanta 98 32.89%
Miami 160 53.69%
Dallas 15 5.03%
Houston 25 8.39%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 03:17 PM

14,256 posts, read 27,016,759 times

Advertisements

Even Miami-Dade with its conservative Cuban base, voted 61% for Obama in 2012. Miami is home to the most reliably Republican Hispanic base in the US, and yet it hasn't gone red since 1988.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 03:47 PM

37,928 posts, read 42,181,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Definitely not Houston or Dallas.

I think overall the Washington DC metro is the most liberal, followed by Miami and then Atlanta. Atlanta's city core maybe liberal, her suburbs are not.
Some of Atlanta's suburbs are liberal, like Decatur. Others may not be quite so liberal but are reliably blue, mainly towards the south.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:06 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,937,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
This is about Southern metros(I just now realized this). Miami Beach is a part of Metro Miami, as is Wilton Manors(Fort Lauderdale). Miami metro has multiple Gay Villages scattered about the metro area. If we're going by metro areas, than clearly South Florida takes this one. Broward County(pop. 1.8million) and Palm Beach County(pop.1.3million) have consistently gone DEEP Blue for the past 20 or so years. The Tri County Area is a sure fire Democratic stronghold come election time. The 2012 election was the first time since 1996 that the Democratic nominee got less than 60% of the vote in Palm Beach County. Obama only got 58% of the vote, compared to 2008 when he got 61% of the vote. Broward County went 67% for Obama in 2008(dang near 70%), and 67% Obama again in 2012. Broward is the most reliably Democrat county in Florida. And possibly in the whole Southern US. Broward hasn't voted below 60% Democratic since the 1992 election.
The thread (as well as the poster I was responding to) talks about cities, however. But, in terms of metro areas, you are correct (along with the other poster) that the Miami metro area has a strong LGBT friendly area in Miami Beach, allowing for influence across the metro area as a whole.

MEI anyways just measures whether or not ordinances pertaining to the LGBT community exist; it really says nothing about the atmosphere a city in terms of relations with the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Definitely not Houston or Dallas.

I think overall the Washington DC metro is the most liberal, followed by Miami and then Atlanta. Atlanta's city core maybe liberal, her suburbs are not.
Both Houston and Dallas city cores are liberal as well.

Old 07-03-2015, 05:42 PM

37,928 posts, read 42,181,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
MEI anyways just measures whether or not ordinances pertaining to the LGBT community exist; it really says nothing about the atmosphere a city in terms of relations with the community.
Generally, a high score correlates with good working relationships between local government and the LGBT community. However, there are some cities that didn't score quite as highly that are also gay-friendly to some extent.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:35 PM

7,739 posts, read 6,522,841 times
In terms of interracial couples and gay people, I see plenty in Texas. I'm gay, and in an interracial relationship. I'm white Cuban of Spanish/Portuguese ancestry. My boyfriend's dark skinned Mexican American. Interracial relationships, can't speak much for Dallas and Houston, but in west Texas cities, are very common. I worked in a restaurant in Abilene and the amount of interracial families was very surprising. And I came from Miami.

Growing up in Miami, I can tell you that it's more of intercultural than interracial. Lots of people will date different races as long as they are from the same culture. Like a white Cuban might date a Mulatto Cuban, though I don't see many full white Cubans with full black Cubans. But you wouldn't see that many Cubans dating or marrying Venezuelans, or Hondurans or what have you.

In Miami, it is kind of like this: Interracial relationships are usually intercultural and intercultural relationships and often of the same race. Lots of white Cubans marry white non-Hispanics. (Protestants and Jews in my family's example) Meanwhile, the one white Cuban person in my family to marry a full black non-Hispanic African American, lives in rural north Florida, which is rednecky and conservative.

Young people in Miami are more likely to be in interracial and intercultural relationships than immigrant generations. A fresh of the boat Cuban is more likely to date another fresh of the boat Cuban, than a second generation Cuban American. Regarding gay rights, Miami is pretty liberal. You'll find older people who claim to be against it, but by large, most people support gays.

Dallas has a big LGBT presence as well, so I'm not sure what you mean. I wouldn't include Dallas and Houston as "southern cities" personally, because I don't see Texas as southern state. Yea culturally it's very southern but it has too much of a western feel to it. Dallas has more in common with Tulsa, Kansas City, and other plains cities in feel to it. Houston you can argue is more southern, as it can be compared with New Orleans. I think you should have included New Orleans and maybe Memphis in the poll. Maybe keep Dallas or Houston, but NOLA and Memphis are quintessential southern cities, and New Orleans sure is an anomaly in Louisiana, politically speaking.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:45 PM

650 posts, read 872,205 times
Miami. But Miami isn't really the south. South Florida is a different beast.

Out of the others, Houston.

Old 08-18-2015, 09:51 PM

20,533 posts, read 33,660,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Miami. But Miami isn't really the south. South Florida is a different beast.

Out of the others, Houston.
You know what....neither are Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:27 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,485,042 times
1. New Orleans
2. Miami
3. Atlanta

Old 08-18-2015, 11:23 PM

20,533 posts, read 33,660,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
1. New Orleans
2. Miami
3. Atlanta
NO isn't part of the thread.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:31 PM

9,728 posts, read 9,497,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
1. New Orleans
2. Miami
3. Atlanta
1.Baltimore
2.Louisville
3.El Paso

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City