Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa FL vs Phoenix AZ summer weather
Tampa 81 62.79%
Phoenix 48 37.21%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 05:44 PM

390 posts, read 600,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Why are you asking so many questions and why is it so important for you to discredit Arizona?? Why did we need a weather report from you?
I'm not "discrediting" Arizona. I was refuting the claim that it would have as large a population as Florida, if it had more private land. Never mind the fact that it doesn't have enough water or any kind of natural resources.

I believe Phoenix has lousy summer weather, yes, even compared to the Gulf Coast.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-10-2015 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 05:59 PM

5,649 posts, read 6,012,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
Phoenix may have a larger population than Tampa, but that is because Florida's population is more evenly distributed. That is a nonsense argument, as there are plenty of humid places with larger populations than Phoenix.

And second of all, Florida has almost 20 million inhabitants, whereas Arizona is just underneath 7 million. Not that Arizona won't grow, but that speaks volumes. Florida had grown a lot more than Arizona, before the advent of air conditioning. In addition, Arizona lacks a coastline. Mountains are nice, but they are no substitute for the coast. Most people would rather spend a day at the beach than go hiking up a mountain. Florida offers that, and Arizona does not.
As I said, if AZ's landscape was more "workable", our population would soar. Its just too hard to build roads and subdivisions on steep, craggy mountains than it is on flatland. More people would be apt to move here, especially up north, as its much cooler, but the landscape makes it almost impossible to build homes on.

I know there are plenty of humid places with larger populations than Phoenix, but this thread title is "Tampa vs Phoenix".

AZ might lack a coastline, and we're fine with that. The whole beach-vs-mountains debate is one for a different day, but Id say its a 50-50 split between those that prefer beaches to mountains and vice versa. And saying "mountains are no substitute for the coast" is laughable to me. I far prefer mountains to beaches. Why? You can only have so much fun on the beach, surrounded by crowds, loud noises, and monotonous scenery. If youve seen one beach, youve seen em all, for the most part.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:37 PM

73,208 posts, read 63,063,199 times
I'll take Phoenix. Low humidity beats high humidity.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
As I said, if AZ's landscape was more "workable", our population would soar. Its just too hard to build roads and subdivisions on steep, craggy mountains than it is on flatland. More people would be apt to move here, especially up north, as its much cooler, but the landscape makes it almost impossible to build homes on.

I know there are plenty of humid places with larger populations than Phoenix, but this thread title is "Tampa vs Phoenix".

AZ might lack a coastline, and we're fine with that. The whole beach-vs-mountains debate is one for a different day, but Id say its a 50-50 split between those that prefer beaches to mountains and vice versa. And saying "mountains are no substitute for the coast" is laughable to me. I far prefer mountains to beaches. Why? You can only have so much fun on the beach, surrounded by crowds, loud noises, and monotonous scenery. If youve seen one beach, youve seen em all, for the most part.
There is something more to add. Florida grew more because of relative proximity to more highly populated areas. It was a winter break haven for people from northern states. Highways going from NYC to Miami. Highways from Chicago/Detroit to Tampa. Florida is surrounded by water on three sides, hence, several port cities.

The major incentive for Californians leaving that state are government issues/cost of living. Arizona isn't the only place they are going to. Nevada, Colorado, Texas, Utah, Idaho, other parts of the west and south.

Arizona grew later on as the west(especially California) started growing in population.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:39 AM

8,684 posts, read 10,232,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
I'm not "discrediting" Arizona. I was refuting the claim that it would have as large a population as Florida, if it had more private land. Never mind the fact that it doesn't have enough water or any kind of natural resources.

You Arizonans think you live in a utopia, then throw a hissyfit when someone disagrees. I believe Phoenix has lousy summer weather, yes, even compared to the Gulf Coast.
I'll state this again since my last post got deleted. Please do not speak for other Arizonans. As you should know, Phoenix is the whipping child here at CD and people have a right to defend the misconceptions. I certainly wouldn't call that a hissyfit especially when some posters specifically target cities like Phoenix because they have some ridiculous points to prove. Yes, everyone is entitle to their opinions, but it does not matter what the reality is, some people are incapable of using critical thinking skills.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:32 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,165,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoCville View Post
Guess we can spot the Floridian who's never been to Phoenix. I'll take 110 in Phoenix over 90 in Virginia even.
I'm originally from Los Angeles and once upon a time had a girlfriend who was from Phoenix. I been there several times just to see her.

I doubt you ever experienced a 90 degree day here in Florida. At least with a 90 degree day, a wind picks up and you feel cooled off. A wind that picks up at 110 hurts even more.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoCville View Post
Guess we can spot the Floridian who's never been to Phoenix. I'll take 110 in Phoenix over 90 in Virginia even.
I used to live in Texas(Ft. Worth). 100 F in Fort Worth is more comfortable than 90 in Atlanta. Considering that Phoenix is even drier than Ft. Worth,TX, Phoenix at 110 F would be more comfortable than 90 in Tampa.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:50 AM

3,748 posts, read 4,996,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
I'm originally from Los Angeles and once upon a time had a girlfriend who was from Phoenix. I been there several times just to see her.

I doubt you ever experienced a 90 degree day here in Florida. At least with a 90 degree day, a wind picks up and you feel cooled off. A wind that picks up at 110 hurts even more.
Yeah I think when you are talking about temperatures hotter than the human body, the "Dry heat" defense doesn't work as well. The air simply won't cool you off period at those temps, regardless of how humid or dry it is.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:53 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,012,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post

Its not that often we experience those temps, maybe a handful of days a year.

Here's why Phoenix's summer weather is better than Florida's... low humidity. Last night we were at a glorious 84 degrees with 10% humidity. I cannot express how much more comfortable that is over Tampa's swampy air. As I said before, there's a reason youll find lots of Floridians moving to AZ, and not vice versa.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:56 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,165,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its not that often we experience those temps, maybe a handful of days a year.

Here's why Phoenix's summer weather is better than Florida's... low humidity. Last night we were at a glorious 84 degrees with 10% humidity. I cannot express how much more comfortable that is over Tampa's swampy air. As I said before, there's a reason youll find lots of Floridians moving to AZ, and not vice versa.
A lot of Floridians move to Arizona? That's news to me. Florida is growing at an alarming pace, we're the 3rd largest populous state (after California and Texas) and unlike those states, we're much smaller. Florida has about 3x the population of Arizona, yet Arizona has much more geographic area.

Last night I had party outside on my patio, night was in the low 80s, and it was beautiful. People could have gone inside if they wanted AC but no one did, Miami has beautiful nights, much more so than Phoenix. And we don't pay for them with 110 daytime temperatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City