Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa FL vs Phoenix AZ summer weather
Tampa 81 62.79%
Phoenix 48 37.21%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 01:04 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,153,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
A quick look at weather underground shows:
Don't take data for one day, instead take data averaged over the entire summer, over many summers.

Quote:
1 Phoenix-Mesa, AZ 97.7 104.577.0 55.7 20%
2 Las Vegas-Paradise, NV 94.4 103.1 75.2 42.2 13%
3 Dallas-Fort Worth, TX 92.4 94.9 73.1 67.5 41%
4 Houston-Sugar Land, TX 92.3 92.0 74.3 72.9 54%
5 Austin-Round Rock, TX 92.2 94.8 72.3 69.1 44%
6 San Antonio, TX 92.1 94.4 72.6 69.3 44%
7 Miami-Fort Lauderdale, FL 92.0 90.3 75.3 73.1 57%
8 New Orleans-Metairie, LA 91.7 90.7 74.5 73.2 57%
9 Orlando-Kissimmee, FL 91.6 91.9 73.3 72.4 53%
10 Tampa-St. Petersburg, FL 91.5 90.8 73.9 73.0 56%
Sizzling Cities ranked – our new Heat Index « Bert Sperling

So Phoenix has an average heat index that is 6.2 degrees worse than Tampa.

But quite frankly it doesn't stop there, heat index is really not "heat index" but a human mathematical model incorporating dew points and temperature. It doesn't take into account the sun. The sun is the biggest culprit in making us "hot" in the summer, not humidity, not necessarily even outside temperatures. And there Phoenix is worse. Not a cloud in the sky. In Tampa you have constant passing cloud systems.

It's not even close, Phoenix is far worse than Tampa. Not to say Tampa is a walk in the park, but there is no competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 02:19 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
A quick look at weather underground shows:
Tampa:: 95, 104 heat index
Houston: 95.2 109 heat index

Lush, tropical paradise, call it what you want. I just know that my clothes would be quite wet in sweat.

Phoenix right now is 98 with 102 degree heat index. But that's only because of the extra humidity this time of the year. Usually the H. Index is lower than the actual temperature.
You messed up as soon as you used Weather Underground. Let's use a more reliable weather site, like NOAA:
Houston:
Phoenix, AZ vs Tampa, FL summer weather?-houston.png
Current Temp: 91F
Heat Index: 100F

Tampa:
Phoenix, AZ vs Tampa, FL summer weather?-tampa.png
Current Temp:91F
Heat Index:95F

Phoenix:
Phoenix, AZ vs Tampa, FL summer weather?-phoenix.png
Current Temp: 99F
Heat Index: 100F

So, according to NOAA, Tampa is 91F with 95F heat index, and Phoenix is 99F with 100F heat index. Houston is 91F with 100F heat index. So, officially, Tampa is much cooler than Phoenix, and feels much cooler too, while Houston is the same as Phoenix in feeling, currently. But, take into account the lush, natural shade Houston has compared to Phoenix, and it too feels more comfortable in Houston than in Phoenix, even if Heat index is the same.

The Wunderground site is not as reliable for temps as NOAA because all the stations for Wunderground are unofficial, personal weather stations, and thus wont be as controlled for confounding environmental circumstances as official stations designated by NOAA. For example, many unofficial station thermometers may be right on a hot concrete/metal surface, and thus temp readings can be too high because the surfaces will absorb heat faster than the air, causing temp readings to be higher than if the thermometers were away from the surface. As a result, temp readings may not be as accurate from Weather Underground as they are for NOAA. If you looked carefully, you would have seen that the Wunderground data you saw from Houston came from the Port of Houston; that portion of Houston's viewing area has heavy industrial activity, from all the plants and shipping processes, and temps there were skewed towards looking quite high from all the UHI in the environment.

Also, keep in mind that both Houston and Tampa are farther east than Phoenix, and thus experience their solar maximums (and resulting peak heat conditions) before Phoenix does, as per rotation of the Earth. So, at the this time, Houston and Tampa are at their peak heat, and temps/heat index will start to let up (Tampa first, then Houston); meanwhile, there is still a longer time left for Phoenix to get and feel hotter than it is right now. So, even though Houston and Phoenix have the same heat index at the moment, Houston's will let up quite soon, while Phoenix's is still going to climb (as will temps, forecast high for Phoenix is 106F).

So, it still stands that Tampa and Houston are basically tropical vacation paradises compared to the Desert Hell of Phoenix.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 07-04-2015 at 02:33 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 03:05 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
I've never been to Tampa, but I live in Houston which is similar. I previously lived in Phoenix, and HATED the summers there. Not only was the air hot, but everything heated up. When getting into the car, I remember trying not to get burnt on the seatbelts, steering wheel, shifter, buttons, etc. It was not just uncomfortable, but literally painful. And the worst part was that the delusional Arizonans would try to sugarcoat it, and act like it was lovely weather. I became very nocturnal in my time there, going grocery shopping after dark. Plus summer lasted until October; I remember walking out of Target in early October to 100 degree weather, after dark. I didn't realize it was October, until I saw the Halloween candies and decor. Yet when I walked out, it was scorching.

Compared to that, Houston's summers are a cakewalk. I also have spent time in Orlando in the summer, which was also a cakewalk when compared with Phoenix.

If Phoenicians didn't always say things like "It's a dry heat," then there would be less people moving there, and in turn, less complainers. They need to just be honest that the summers are incredibly hot. It's unfortunate how people die of dehydration/heat exhaustion each year on the hiking trails, because they are told how heavenly the dry heat is.

Yeah seriously, they act like "dry heat" is not real heat at all and that Phoenix summers might as well be a constant 70 degrees!

Old 07-04-2015, 03:18 PM

182 posts, read 718,876 times
phoenix sucks as does most of the west coast. compared with tampa fl and st. augustine, houston, and mobile there is no comparison they all outwin phoenix. phoenix is a horrible city as is albaquerque.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:49 PM

389 posts, read 596,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Yeah seriously, they act like "dry heat" is not real heat at all and that Phoenix summers might as well be a constant 70 degrees!
Yep. And the icing on the cake is that it still hits freezing in the winters there, yet they still act like it's heavenly.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:24 PM

8,631 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Some of you people are absolutely delusional. Yes, Phoenix is hot. So is Houston. So is Tampa. Technicalities aren't going to change those facts. While Houston and Tampa have more vegetation, some of you act like there's no shade in Phoenix at all and people do not know how to use AC (do you think they sit outside all day in the heat??)...and what's with the "not even close" and "far worse" comments?

Last edited by JMT; 07-04-2015 at 09:38 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Some of you people are absolutely delusional. Yes, Phoenix is hot. So is Houston. So is Tampa. Technicalities aren't going to change those facts. While Houston and Tampa have more vegetation, some of you act like there's no shade in Phoenix at all and people do not know how to use AC (do you think they sit outside all day in the heat??)...and what's with the "not even close" and "far worse" comments?
If Phoenix is not "far worse," then why does Tampa have double the amount of points in this poll?

Last edited by JMT; 07-04-2015 at 09:39 PM..

Old 07-04-2015, 11:34 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,268,147 times
Tampa. The women are way better looking.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:21 AM

8,631 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
If Phoenix is not "far worse," then why does Tampa have double the amount of points in this poll?
Because some people can't think for themselves? IDK... Just because some posters selected Tampa does not mean that they believe it is FAR better or FAR worse. In fact, those words weren't even a part of the poll or OP. In any case, do you actually make life decisions based upon what CD posters think?

Last edited by AZLiam; 07-05-2015 at 08:35 AM..

Old 07-05-2015, 09:41 AM

I'm actually flying from Houston to Phoenix today, to visit my aging parents. I'll check back tonight and update y'all as to whether it's far worse or just kinda worse...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City