Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa FL vs Phoenix AZ summer weather
Tampa 81 62.79%
Phoenix 48 37.21%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 09:44 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,995,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
If Phoenix is not "far worse," then why does Tampa have double the amount of points in this poll?
City vs City wouldn't dare vote Phoenix into a positive light. Never has never will. They'll tell us that El Paso is more desirable first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 10:23 AM

183 posts, read 250,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post

So, it still stands that Tampa and Houston are basically tropical vacation paradises compared to the Desert Hell of Phoenix.
No you didn't try to sneak Houston in with Tampa as a "tropical vacation paradise". lol

The area around Houston is more in the order of an industrial paradise. The city itself does have decent man-made amenities (museums, parks, JSC), beyond that not much of interest for many leisure travelers.

Also, your backhanded slap of Phoenix is ridiculous. For much of the year, Phoenix is considered to be more of a "paradise" than Houston. Probably even during the summer.

Topic: I prefer the summer in Tampa over Phoenix. Not an extended dry weather or desert loving person. I enjoy the almost daily afternoon thunderstorms in the Southeast U.S.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:35 AM

390 posts, read 599,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
No you didn't try to sneak Houston in with Tampa as a "tropical vacation paradise". lol

The area around Houston is more in the order of an industrial paradise. The city itself does have decent man-made amenities (museums, parks, JSC), beyond that not much of interest for many leisure travelers.

Also, your backhanded slap of Phoenix is ridiculous. For much of the year, Phoenix is considered to be more of a "paradise" than Houston. Probably even during the summer.

Topic: I prefer the summer in Tampa over Phoenix. Not an extended dry weather or desert loving person. I enjoy the almost daily afternoon thunderstorms in the Southeast U.S.
Houston is warmer than it gets credit for, in the winters. Plus Phoenix's winters are much colder than people think. The winter nights there often hit freezing. I've even witnessed snow in Scottsdale, and that was in the daytime.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Houston is warmer than it gets credit for, in the winters. Plus Phoenix's winters are much colder than people think. The winter nights there often hit freezing. I've even witnessed snow in Scottsdale, and that was in the daytime.
If we're going by averages, temperature-wise Phoenix and Houston are almost identical for the months of December, January and February. No doubt Phoenix can be blasted by brief cold spells. At least it usually remains sunny and dry. I've experienced some cold, gloomy and damp days in Houston during the winter. A tropical vacation paradise it's not.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:11 AM

390 posts, read 599,304 times
Quote:
If we're going by averages, temperature-wise Phoenix and Houston are almost identical for the months of December, January and February. No doubt Phoenix can be blasted by brief cold spells. At least it usually remains sunny and dry. I've experienced some cold, gloomy and damp days in Houston during the winter. A tropical vacation paradise it's not.
IMHO, temperature is the most important variable. And in that regard, Houston and Phoenix are equal in the winter. Throw in the fact that Houston has cooler and milder summers than Phoenix, and Houston wins. You said Phoenix is paradise for more of the year than Phoenix, and I disagree with that statement. When I moved there from Houston, I couldn't understand why I gave up milder summers to get roughly equivalent winters.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
IMHO, temperature is the most important variable. And in that regard, Houston and Phoenix are equal in the winter. Throw in the fact that Houston has cooler and milder summers than Phoenix, and Houston wins. You said Phoenix is paradise for more of the year than Phoenix, and I disagree with that statement. When I moved there from Houston, I couldn't understand why I gave up milder summers to get roughly equivalent winters.
Better weather is highly subjective obviously based on personal preferences.

It's not just me saying Phoenix is more of a year around paradise than Houston. It's the owners and patrons of all those luxury resort hotels, golf courses, baseball spring training facilities etc.. that Phoenix has more of than Houston.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:21 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,937,378 times
Quote:

Can you not read? If you read my post carefully, you would have seen that when I was using the term "tropical vacation paradise" for Tampa and Houston, I was referring to how relatively comfortable their summers were compared to Phoenix. I also was referring to how average summer highs for both Tampa and Houston were pretty much identical to many tropical vacation resorts around the world, such as Cancun, or Zanzibar; all the places have average highs no higher than the lower 90s during the hottest month, and all get frequent thunderstorm activity during summer. Both Houston and Tampa go summers without reaching 100F (Tampa has never recorded 100F in its history of weather recording), Phoenix averages summer highs above 100F. Phoenix has higher heat indexes than both during summer. Enough said.

Now, Houston doesn't present itself as a leisure destination, and the sprawl throughout the metro, as well as heavy industry, don't help at all; I don't dispute that. However, Houston does have potential to become a great leisure destination under the right leadership, given the good location and climate for such ventures. But, I digress; given that the thread topic simply involves summer temps, and that was strictly what I was referencing in all my posts throughout the thread, it becomes clear that your post is simply a red-herring.

Quote:
Houston can have some cool spells, no doubt, but the winter on average, is mild. Same goes for Phoenix. I like the winters in both places.

But it is all irrelevant in the end as this thread is all about summer weather, and Houston and Tampa have comfortable summer weather compared to Phoenix. Again, I used "tropical vacation paradise" in the context of summer weather for Houston and Tampa, especially compared to Phoenix. So, yet another red-herring from you.

Quote:
Better weather is highly subjective obviously based on personal preferences.

It's not just me saying Phoenix is more of a year around paradise than Houston. It's the owners and patrons of all those luxury resort hotels, golf courses, baseball spring training facilities etc.. that Phoenix has more of than Houston.
Three red-herrings in a row, keep it up!

Again, as far as summer is concerned, Phoenix is basically the deepest pits of Gehenna, as is the rest of the low elevation areas of the Desert Southwest. Quite fitting that the city shares its name with the legendary bird of fire.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:47 PM

2,219 posts, read 3,918,394 times
Here is the 10 day forecast for both cities.

Tampa
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USFL0481:1:US

Phoenix
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USAZ0166:1:US

Both are awful but Phoenix is worse due to no cloud cover or daily thunderstorms for relief.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:30 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,033,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
City vs City wouldn't dare vote Phoenix into a positive light. Never has never will. They'll tell us that El Paso is more desirable first.
Eh, don't take it personally. Truth is they're probably 20 year old kids posting this drivel during class when they should be paying attention. I like Phoenix, as do millions of others living in the valley.

Old 07-05-2015, 05:37 PM

300 posts, read 442,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Here is the 10 day forecast for both cities.

Tampa
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USFL0481:1:US

Phoenix
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USAZ0166:1:US

Both are awful but Phoenix is worse due to no cloud cover or daily thunderstorms for relief.
If you're talking about the forecasts, they've said sunny the past week, but they actually are cloudy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City