Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tampa FL vs Phoenix AZ summer weather
Tampa 81 62.79%
Phoenix 48 37.21%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:10 PM

8,657 posts, read 10,206,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
I'm actually flying from Houston to Phoenix today, to visit my aging parents. I'll check back tonight and update y'all as to whether it's far worse or just kinda worse...
Why the dramatics? It's weather we're talking about...and why are you even trying to sell us on which is better or worse? What do you get out of this? lol...Is it an attempt to try to paint Houston in a positive light by pitting it against the whipping child of CD? Furthermore, why did you have to bring Houston into a thread that has nothing to do with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 05:00 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
Theres no comparison here. Phoenix, while scorching, is much more comfy than Tampa in Spring, Summer, and Fall. The humidity is atrocious down south. Its so thick you swear you were choking on it. Id rather bake in dry air than drown in swampy air any day of the year. And while its hot here in mid-summer, at least by late September our dry air starts to cool down and it feels better than anything youll ever find in Florida. Ever experienced a late October day in Florida where its 80 degrees with 10% humidity and a gorgeous breeze? Thats Phoenix for the vast majority of the year, unlike Tampa where its a steamy pile of cow crap year round, complete with nasty, daily rains. Ill deal with our 3-4 piping hot months in Phoenix (with 8-9 months of bliss) versus 12 steamy months in Tampa.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:02 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
Quote:
Houston is warmer than it gets credit for, in the winters. Plus Phoenix's winters are much colder than people think. The winter nights there often hit freezing. I've even witnessed snow in Scottsdale, and that was in the daytime.
"Often"? If you call maybe 1-3 times a winter "often", then I guess youre correct?

PHX's climate is far superior to Houston's. The swampy air there is ultra gross. At night its even worse. At least here at night we just feel warm n toasty, not beat down by humidity.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:08 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,161,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
"Often"? If you call maybe 1-3 times a winter "often", then I guess youre correct?

PHX's climate is far superior to Houston's. The swampy air there is ultra gross. At night its even worse. At least here at night we just feel warm n toasty, not beat down by humidity.
The heat index (which incorporates Relative Humidity) is lower for Houston than Phoenix during the summer.

I can echo something, in Houston the heat has felt uncomfortable, it never felt dangerous. I felt in danger when I was Kingman, Arizona and the car thermometer read 127 F while driving on the highway. What was worse, wind at that temperature didn't feel like a relief, it felt like a blow dryer to the face. The sun was unrelentless, and the desert just proves how inhospitable the climate was.

A humid 90 degree day, and the breeze still feels good, and cooling.

Anyways Kingman isn't Phoenix, but you both get the same weather.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:00 PM

390 posts, read 599,377 times
Quote:

That is your opinion, and you are trying to present it as fact. I'm in Phoenix now, and feel dehydrated. Also, it should not stay warm at night in Phoenix, that is a result of the Urban Heat Island effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
The heat index (which incorporates Relative Humidity) is lower for Houston than Phoenix during the summer.

I can echo something, in Houston the heat has felt uncomfortable, it never felt dangerous. I felt in danger when I was Kingman, Arizona and the car thermometer read 127 F while driving on the highway. What was worse, wind at that temperature didn't feel like a relief, it felt like a blow dryer to the face. The sun was unrelentless, and the desert just proves how inhospitable the climate was.

A humid 90 degree day, and the breeze still feels good, and cooling.

Anyways Kingman isn't Phoenix, but you both get the same weather.
I would agree with that statement. In Houston, the heat/humidity is a minor annoyance that comes and goes with the rain. In Arizona, you really have to be careful about staying hydrated, not being out in the sun too long, etc..

Old 07-06-2015, 10:16 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,937,645 times
Quote:
Theres no comparison here. Phoenix, while scorching, is much more comfy than Tampa in Spring, Summer, and Fall. The humidity is atrocious down south. Its so thick you swear you were choking on it. Id rather bake in dry air than drown in swampy air any day of the year. And while its hot here in mid-summer, at least by late September our dry air starts to cool down and it feels better than anything youll ever find in Florida. Ever experienced a late October day in Florida where its 80 degrees with 10% humidity and a gorgeous breeze? Thats Phoenix for the vast majority of the year, unlike Tampa where its a steamy pile of cow crap year round, complete with nasty, daily rains. Ill deal with our 3-4 piping hot months in Phoenix (with 8-9 months of bliss) versus 12 steamy months in Tampa.
Quote:

The dry heat argument is moot because even with that, the heat indices are still higher for Phoenix than they are for Tampa, or Houston. Phoenix, along with the rest of the lowland Southwest, is still Gehenna compared to Houston or Tampa, especially during summer.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:06 AM

8,657 posts, read 10,206,666 times
Quote:
That is your opinion, and you are trying to present it as fact. I'm in Phoenix now, and feel dehydrated. Also, it should not stay warm at night in Phoenix, that is a result of the Urban Heat Island effect.

I would agree with that statement. In Houston, the heat/humidity is a minor annoyance that comes and goes with the rain. In Arizona, you really have to be careful about staying hydrated, not being out in the sun too long, etc..
LOL, ok...you feel dehydrated because YOU forgot to drink water. You should be drinking water regardless of whether you are in a humid or dry climate. People in the desert do not usually feel the urge to drink water because they've been sweating or because it's hot. They usually forget to drink water because they do not realize they've been sweating.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:17 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,996,840 times
Some of you should visit Phx in the Summer to see what this is really like.

It's hot there's no getting around that, but its only bad for 1 month, it's been cloudy for over a week now and will be for a few months and then next thing you know? The elderly have made their unwanted return and we are basking in the glory of Phx weather.

My folks live in Houston, I'm there fairly frequently. The constant wetness wears me down more than the heat does. The perk of dry weather is that shade from the sun makes a huge difference. To each their own, were all aware of the inherent biases of City vs. City, it compared Phx to Death Valley one of the hottest places on earth. Phx is far from that. As for the heat island, this is a problem that Phx like any large city experiences? What a point to bring up, building cities around the US regardless of location is a cancer to natural resources.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:31 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,161,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
My folks live in Houston, I'm there fairly frequently. The constant wetness wears me down more than the heat does. The perk of dry weather is that shade from the sun makes a huge difference. To each their own, were all aware of the inherent biases of City vs. City, it compared Phx to Death Valley one of the hottest places on earth. Phx is far from that. As for the heat island, this is a problem that Phx like any large city experiences? What a point to bring up, building cities around the US regardless of location is a cancer to natural resources.
Shade makes a huge difference in humid climates as well since it's the sun that's the primary object that heats people up. If it's 80s, humid, windy and cloudy, I'm actually cold. If it's 90s humid, windy, and cloudy I'm pleasant. That changes completely if the sun comes out.

In my patio, it's covered by trees, and I can stay out there comfortably (no sweating) in the dead noon in the summer.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:41 AM

390 posts, read 599,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
LOL, ok...you feel dehydrated because YOU forgot to drink water. You should be drinking water regardless of whether you are in a humid or dry climate. People in the desert do not usually feel the urge to drink water because they've been sweating or because it's hot. They usually forget to drink water because they do not realize they've been sweating.
With the higher heat and dryness, you have to drink more just to stay hydrated. There's no way around it. I felt parched just driving around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Some of you should visit Phx in the Summer to see what this is really like.

It's hot there's no getting around that, but its only bad for 1 month, it's been cloudy for over a week now and will be for a few months and then next thing you know? The elderly have made their unwanted return and we are basking in the glory of Phx weather.

That's probably a valid comparison. Phoenix in the summer should not be compared to non-desert climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City