Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 04:42 PM

7 posts, read 6,987 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I would love to get your opinion on living in Miami vs Detriot vs Charlotte. Factors to consider:

-Salary would be the same (just under 40k)
-Looking for a community of young professionals
-Not into clubbing/drinking/partying
-Some sort of urban life, however, would be nice
-Food culture would be nice
-I don't own a car - public transit (that is safe) would be great
-I'm okay with a car being a necessity, even if its not preferred
-I'm a female in her early 20s who may or may not be living by herself - safety is an issue
-Originally from a big city in the Midwest and likes the amenities of a city
-Preferably would NOT like to live hand-to-mouth and would like to save some of my paycheck at the end of the day
-Diversity of any kind is a huge plus
-I'm South Asian; some sort of South Asian presence would be welcomed
-I'm a practicing Muslim and would prefer to be in a place where Islamophobia will be less of a concern and where there might be a Muslim presence

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 06:08 PM

14,748 posts, read 14,737,404 times
I'd cross off Miami because $40k/year won't go far at all there, especially if you want to live in a halfway safe neighborhood. Not familiar with Charlotte, though it definitely has better COL than Miami. Detroit, metro Detroit, may be your best option, as there is a huge Muslim population, especially in Dearborn. Plus you're already a Midwestern girl, so it wouldn't be as much of a culture shock. Also, very affordable COL unless you live in one of the swanky suburbs like Gross Pointe. Only downside may be lack of public transit, but if you live near work and in a walkable community that may not be a huge issue.
Good luck!

Old 07-05-2015, 06:35 PM

1,464 posts, read 2,974,742 times
Charlotte sounds perfect with the salary and other factors you listed.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:10 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,631,075 times
Detroit seems like your best option. The metro area is pretty diverse and you can get a lot for 40K if you're single. There's not really much in the way of public transit, but you'll have plenty to be able to get a car.

The popular areas for young professionals tend to be Royal Oak or Dearborn. South Asians are typically scattered about in Dearborn, Warren, Sterling Heights, Troy, Royal Oak, Farmington Hills, West Bloomfield, and Novi, (and maybe Canton). All these areas are pretty safe, but otherwise are typical suburbs. Royal Oak would probably be the most walkable and full of young singles but slightly more on the expensive side.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:03 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,490,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Charlotte sounds perfect with the salary and other factors you listed.
Charlotte has a history of Christian fundamentalism (specifically with the Southern Baptists), and I don't think anyone in good conscience could say that Charlotte will be more welcoming than an area where at least a third of the population is Arabic by ethnicity and/or Muslim.

Dearborn, MI: Where Muslims Are

Old 07-05-2015, 08:53 PM

7 posts, read 6,987 times
I'm actually looking forward to a culture shock -- I've been in the Midwest my whole life and I really want to be in a place that's unlike what I've known thus far.

Miami does seem appealing however, lol. Do you feel like living with a roommate would make Miami more liveable? Or having a part time job (if so, suggestions? I currently tutor for a standardized test prep company on the side)?

Old 07-05-2015, 09:04 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,490,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shynot02 View Post
I'm actually looking forward to a culture shock -- I've been in the Midwest my whole life and I really want to be in a place that's unlike what I've known thus far.

Miami does seem appealing however, lol. Do you feel like living with a roommate would make Miami more liveable? Or having a part time job (if so, suggestions? I currently tutor for a standardized test prep company on the side)?
If that's the case, then the only thing between you and living in Miami is the $$$. If you are willing to make more $$$ and/or have a roommate, then it's certainly going to be easier to live there!

Old 07-05-2015, 09:45 PM

9,728 posts, read 9,497,308 times
Atlanta sounds like the perfect choice for you considering the factors you mentioned. I would cross off Detroit and Miami immediately. Charlotte would be second choice. Despite its Christian fundamentalists, it is progressive and welcoming city with a healthy economy.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:13 PM

6,843 posts, read 11,008,732 times
Quote:
-I'm a practicing Muslim and would prefer to be in a place where Islamophobia will be less of a concern and where there might be a Muslim presence
Greater Detroit would be the strongest option for you. It has the largest Arab population in the United States and one of the largest Muslim population in the United States. You're South Asian so the Persian and Arab factors wont matter to you as South Asian Muslims are culturally different than those of the Persian and Arab worlds but still the factors in place for an easier cultural transition are there. Greater Detroit, particularly in the outlying suburbs has a large South Asian population and community. You'd probably get all of your usual amenities there and stuff.

Detroit is also an actual stop for most South Asian entertainment groups too, the region has a bit of a pull with South Asians, which is a continuously growing segment of the regions population.

The sheer number of mosques offered in the Greater Detroit area would dwarf the other two, regardless of what sect of Islam you follow.
Quote:
-I'm South Asian; some sort of South Asian presence would be welcomed
Being South Asian in Southeast Florida is fine, you fit into the Asian group that actually has significant presence in this area and growing.

Greater Detroit would be the better option though.
Quote:
-Diversity of any kind is a huge plus
This would be Southeast Florida's area of expertise over the other two but given your background, I can see where you're going with "diversity." Look there isn't anyway around it, Detroit is a more Asian city in general than the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area by a little bit. If that is what you're looking for in "diversity" then just go with that, though the Miami areas offerings and Asian population is growing substantially itself, particularly South Asians.
Quote:
-Preferably would NOT like to live hand-to-mouth and would like to save some of my paycheck at the end of the day
I think you can do that in Detroit. The area in general would have the lowest cost of living, you could probably save an exponential amount of your salary and then buy yourself a nice house without the need of engaging in mortgages or loans there easily in a few years.

The Miami area isn't excruciatingly expensive like a San Francisco Bay Area, Vancouver, Honolulu, or San Diego but it is on the pricier side of things compared to these other two cities being compared here in Detroit and Charlotte.
Quote:
-Originally from a big city in the Midwest and likes the amenities of a city
Yeah this is why you should be leaning more towards Detroit and Miami among these three, if anything.
Quote:
-I'm a female in her early 20s who may or may not be living by herself - safety is an issue
Go to the local forums for each of these three cities and request a list of neighborhoods that are safe, prosperous, and fairly decent prices. Get the list, do your own research on them, Google, Bing, whatever these neighborhoods. Get a feel of what their reputations are, if they accommodate your transportation needs and location needs (near your job, so on), and then go from there when deciding.

You can DM me and I can give you a thorough list of neighborhoods in Miami and Detroit that are safe, possibly what you are looking for in a living environment.
Quote:
-I'm okay with a car being a necessity, even if its not preferred
Good, because you're going to need a car in all three of these cities. Sure, you want need a car for everything you do in Miami, depending on where you live but to enjoy what the area offers and to live conveniently, it is advised to have a motor vehicle.
Quote:
-I don't own a car - public transit (that is safe) would be great
Look up the bus maps and transit rail maps for all three cities (I don't think Detroit has constructed it's M-Line yet) and gauge where you want to live with ease of transport.

Other than that, I advise either looking into buying a car or renting one because you're going to need it unless you want to live a marginalized life.
Quote:
-Food culture would be nice
You'll be fine in any of the three on this. Detroit and Miami more so, given their diversity, size, and niche offerings. You'll have more variety and more options.
Quote:
-Not into clubbing/drinking/partying
Yeah, that's fine.

Contrary to popular belief, two of the cities you are looking at are seriously big cities. You can carve out a niche, or a lifestyle to your liking, and stick with it. You don't "have to" go clubbing, partying, or be out drinking just because you live in a city that is popularly associated with such activities.
Quote:
-Looking for a community of young professionals
Young professionals dwell and live in the core regions of every major city in America. From as far back in the pecking order as Fresno to as far ahead in the pecking order as New York.

Something to keep in mind, as you'll get this in every city, since every city has its "young professional" pockets, these three cities aren't excepted from that.
Quote:
-Salary would be the same (just under 40k)
Good, so with the pay being the same and all, you can pick from the three on what things you want, need, or value most.

Now the decision is something you have to make for yourself and it would be advisable that you make your own decision and not allow others to interject in it, since its your life and all. However I will say this though, given who you are, what your background is, what you are asking for, what your priorities are, and what sort of environment you would be comfortable in, I would say look more closely into Greater Detroit. There are lots of unsafe and questionable areas within the actual city itself (although not the city core though), so I would advise looking into some of the suburban areas, which are generally much more diverse, safe, and pleasant than a lot of inner city neighborhoods (that is if you are unwilling to live in the core: Downtown, Midtown, New Center, whatever).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City