Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 09:28 AM

699 posts, read 612,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I disagree. Outside of the coastal areas, I found the Miami area to be fairly boring. You go there to soak up the sun, get sand between your toes, and party.
First of all, South Beach is not the only coastal area. You have non-stop beach communities all the way up to Juno Beach, and beyond actually, with their own downtowns, nightlife and shopping scenes, vibes. Which fall under Miami's sphere is questionable since a lot of communities in South Florida have fiercely independent identities.

Second, what you say is not true at all, some of the best places to party and explore in Miami are Wynwood (a Bohemian, artsy, funky, eclectic place), Brickell (full of rooftop lounges, restaurants, clubs, bars and young latino professionals), Little Havana, Edgewater, Dt/Overtown, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables (Miracle Mile).

I have been to Atlanta, and I can safely say, subtract South Beach, Miami still offers more than Atlanta when it comes to nightlife and shopping at least.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:03 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,760,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
First of all, South Beach is not the only coastal area. You have non-stop beach communities all the way up to Juno Beach, and beyond actually, with their own downtowns, nightlife and shopping scenes, vibes. Which fall under Miami's sphere is questionable since a lot of communities in South Florida have fiercely independent identities.

Second, what you say is not true at all, some of the best places to party and explore in Miami are Wynwood (a Bohemian, artsy, funky, eclectic place), Brickell (full of rooftop lounges, restaurants, clubs, bars and young latino professionals), Little Havana, Edgewater, Dt/Overtown, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables (Miracle Mile).

I have been to Atlanta, and I can safely say, subtract South Beach, Miami still offers more than Atlanta when it comes to nightlife and shopping at least.
True Miami clubs stay open later and Miami has more upscale stores but Atlanta has more jobs, better economy, no toll roads, no hurricane threats, better music festivals, better festivals, more concerts, better transportation, better airport, more stuff to do, better class of people, better looking people, better colleges, more growth, etc.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
True Miami clubs stay open later and Miami has more upscale stores but Atlanta has more jobs, better economy, no toll roads, no hurricane threats, better music festivals, better festivals, more concerts, better transportation, better airport, more stuff to do, better class of people, better looking people, better colleges, more growth, etc.
Better looking people? Miami is known for her beautiful people, we are a center of modeling for European and the USA. Atlanta is not.

Atlanta has no toll roads? That's news to me when I drove in Atlanta, there were a ton of toll roads. What I love about Miami toll roads is they are completely automated, even if you don't buy one of those passes, they just snap your license plate and send you a 0.75-1.25$ toll in the mail to your address (the one your car is registered under).

Better Music Festivals? Miami has Ultra Music Festival, which is the king of electronic music festivals. There are even now spin-offs in other European countries, like the Split, Croatia Ultra Music Festival that takes place in the summer there. We have Winter Music Conference [where every single one of our clubs has a widely known electronic music act], Urban Beach Weekend (hip-hop), etc. It's people from Atlanta that come down here for our music festivals.

Better festivals? Atlanta doesn't have Art Basel, doesn't have Calle Ocho (Carnival/Mardi Gras), doesn't have the Boat Show, doesn't have the Food Festival hosted by the Food Network, doesn't have the swimsuit fashion week hosted by Mercedes Benz, doesn't have Funkshion, and many more.

Better airport is debatable, ATL is bigger, MIA serves more international destinations.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:19 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,078,830 times
Quote:
Better looking people? Miami is known for her beautiful people, we are a center of modeling for European and the USA. Atlanta is not.

Atlanta has no toll roads? That's news to me when I drove in Atlanta, there were a ton of toll roads. What I love about Miami toll roads is they are completely automated, even if you don't buy one of those passes, they just snap your license plate and send you a 0.75-1.25$ toll in the mail to your address (the one your car is registered under).

Better Music Festivals? Miami has Ultra Music Festival, which is the king of electronic music festivals. There are even now spin-offs in other European countries, like the Split, Croatia Ultra Music Festival that takes place in the summer there. We have Winter Music Conference [where every single one of our clubs has a widely known electronic music act], Urban Beach Weekend (hip-hop), etc. It's people from Atlanta that come down here for our music festivals.

Better festivals? Atlanta doesn't have Art Basel, doesn't have Calle Ocho (Carnival/Mardi Gras), doesn't have the Boat Show, doesn't have the Food Festival hosted by the Food Network, doesn't have the swimsuit fashion week hosted by Mercedes Benz, doesn't have Funkshion, and many more.

Better airport is debatable, ATL is bigger, MIA serves more international destinations.
Yeah much of what he said was off, and I prefer Atlanta over Miami. But the only toll road Atlanta used to have was on GA 400 which went away about two years ago, so I'm not sure where these "tons" of toll roads were you experienced there. There are express lanes that are tolled but those are optional.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah much of what he said was off, and I prefer Atlanta over Miami. But the only toll road Atlanta used to have was on GA 400 which went away about two years ago, so I'm not sure where these "tons" of toll roads were you experienced there. There are express lanes that are tolled but those are optional.
Last time I drove in Atlanta was the summer of 2012. I don't remember the roads I was using, but I was driving from Sandy Springs to Midtown, Atlanta for business reasons. I remember this many-laned freeway coming to a complete stop at a toll booth where I payed with quarters every single time.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Last time I drove in Atlanta was the summer of 2012. I don't remember the roads I was using, but I was driving from Sandy Springs to Midtown, Atlanta for business reasons. I remember this many-laned freeway coming to a complete stop at a toll booth where I payed with quarters every single time.
That's GA 400 but it's no longer tolled. That was the only true toll road in metro Atlanta, and only at that spot. If you were traveling only above or below the toll plaza, you didn't have to pay a toll at all.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:

Most of those cute women are on vacation visiting South Beach. They aren't Miami residents generally speaking.

Atlanta has tons of toll roads??? Our only toll rd was GA 400 and they stopped collecting money for it a few years ago. We only have an option hot lane and that is it. New hot lanes are coming but those are optional

Music Festivals....We have Music Midtown, TomorrowWorld, Counterpoint, Shaky Knees, Shaky Beats, Imagine Festival, etc. We have more and better festivals.

Miami is only good for its beaches and partying and that's about it. Yes Miami has the best beach in the USA, great topography, fun culture, great winter weather, etc. Not dissing Miami though, Miami is alright in my book

Old 01-08-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:

What did I say that was off to you?

Old 01-08-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
What did I say that was off to you?
The points he specifically addressed except toll roads. Plus more stuff to do, which is debatable, and more growth as Miami is currently growing faster.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:38 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,154,114 times
Quote:
The points he specifically addressed except toll roads. Plus more stuff to do, which is debatable, and more growth as Miami is currently growing faster.
Last census estimate had Atlanta MSA growing faster than the Miami MSA. I doubt that trend had stopped considering Atlanta's job growth is much better than Miami's right now and that's almost directly proportionate to population growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.