Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 09:35 AM

37,928 posts, read 42,181,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Yet it's constantly trashed here on C-D. I agree that it's a media darling because it always scores well in objective measurements like jobs, crime/safety, public schools, adult education level, growth rates, creative industry, parks, affordability, etc.
Those items are not hype, they are data.
Almost nobody talks positively about Raleigh in terms of subjective qualities or caché that seems to be very important to people who talk about cities in these forums. It's in these conversations that I can make a case for Raleigh being very underrated.
Well you know the Sunbelt cities in particular are ragged on here on C-D, but to say that Raleigh's hype is only confined to NC is waaayyyy off-base.

You really can't mistake what happens on these boards to what's going on in real life, that's for sure.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:56 AM

1,462 posts, read 1,436,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
it was 2009-2010. I still think it's overrated. The city get a lot of hype due to the region it's in but if you were to move Atlanta to either on the northeast or west coast it would just be an average city. It's not a bad city at all it's just over hyped like Austin IMO.
So you have NOT done most of what I posted: Beltline,PCM,KSM,O4W Park,Streetcar,2 new national museums,Edgewood Ave Entertainment District and so much more but its irrelevant because you contend that you know something based on outdated info.

You trying to hard.LOL
The hype is not coming from Southerners.Its coming from those outside of the region.Southerners LOVE to hate on Atlanta. The Southerners are usually in two different categories:
a)Southerns that cant wait to leave the South and want so bad to be cosmopolitan that Atlanta is a path to get out of the South.These Southerners are almost ashamed to be Southern.

B)Southerners that think Atlanta represent the "NYC of the South", aka Sodom and Gomorah"

If a person from any other region thinks about moving or visiting Atlanta, then they are considering it because of the region its in. Generally wanting something different. If the people in all these other regions were so great,Atlanta would not even be considered unless it was worthy of where people in those regions came from.
For instance:Minneapolis is a good city with good growth but no one is flocking to it like Atlanta.Its has jobs and good economy and salaries are higher.

If it(Atlanta) were in the Northeast it would probably be bigger and not remotely like it is today.Lack of a waterfront determines growth patterns traditionally.
Many people dont want to live in cities like Philly,Boston,or even NYC. The allure of Atlanta is that you have more space,green and cheaper and quite frankly,its not those cities.

Heres a crazy notion for you:Sunbelt cities are what people want just like they are NOT what people want.Nonetheless they are booming for a reason.

Now if I do think physical natural features can make a city better than its actually built environment like a waterfront or mountains which for those who have grown up in those environments usually cant live without.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:23 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,706,007 times
The pro-Raleigh crowd on this site is large and at minimum, is equal to the anti-Raleigh crowd, although I think the pro-Raleigh group is larger. The pro-Raleigh group most certainly whines incessantly when someone prefers somewhere besides Raleigh...

Without doubt, Raleigh is not underrated in real life. That's not even debatable, as Raleigh's attributes are WIDELY known. It is debatable that Raleigh is a little overrated. It gets a lot of face time for a city that isn't self-supporting, self-reliant, and on the whole isn't characteristically or culturally unique from even cities within its own state, outside of industry. Personally, I think its rated about right--it ain't underrated, though, don't even try that...

Having a large creative industry, good job growth, affordability, a good park system/outdoor culture, and high educational attainment are not unique to Raleigh. Raleigh nay excel in some of these measures over other cities, but not to the extent tgat its a Raleigh hallmark. And I think thats what the pro-Raleigh crowd on here ignores. The magnificent population growth is unique to Raleigh, puts it within the top 1% of cities nationwide seeing that much growth, but that'll end one day--such awesome growth ends for every city. What will Raleigh leave behind? Raleigh's cache is tied to education; besides that, and possibly only that, there are plenty of cities that offer a mixture of what Raleigh supposedly excels at...

I've been to Raleigh a dozen times. I like it just fine, have friends either from there or have moved there. My pre-stated views are a response to the notion Raleigh can be considered "underrated", and do NOT mean I don't like Raleigh. I just think some Raeigh boosters are a little out of sorts when Raleigh is sized up with other cities on this website...

Old 05-02-2016, 12:36 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,715,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post
So you have NOT done most of what I posted: Beltline,PCM,KSM,O4W Park,Streetcar,2 new national museums,Edgewood Ave Entertainment District and so much more but its irrelevant because you contend that you know something based on outdated info.

You trying to hard.LOL
The hype is not coming from Southerners.Its coming from those outside of the region.Southerners LOVE to hate on Atlanta. The Southerners are usually in two different categories:
a)Southerns that cant wait to leave the South and want so bad to be cosmopolitan that Atlanta is a path to get out of the South.These Southerners are almost ashamed to be Southern.

B)Southerners that think Atlanta represent the "NYC of the South", aka Sodom and Gomorah"

If a person from any other region thinks about moving or visiting Atlanta, then they are considering it because of the region its in. Generally wanting something different. If the people in all these other regions were so great,Atlanta would not even be considered unless it was worthy of where people in those regions came from.
For instance:Minneapolis is a good city with good growth but no one is flocking to it like Atlanta.Its has jobs and good economy and salaries are higher.

If it(Atlanta) were in the Northeast it would probably be bigger and not remotely like it is today.Lack of a waterfront determines growth patterns traditionally.
Many people dont want to live in cities like Philly,Boston,or even NYC. The allure of Atlanta is that you have more space,green and cheaper and quite frankly,its not those cities.

Heres a crazy notion for you:Sunbelt cities are what people want just like they are NOT what people want.Nonetheless they are booming for a reason.

Now if I do think physical natural features can make a city better than its actually built environment like a waterfront or mountains which for those who have grown up in those environments usually cant live without.
I have been back to visit friends and family every year. You're missing the point here. I don't think Atlanta is a bad city. I think Atlanta has all of the basic requirements to be a good city without excelling at none for my personal taste.Calm down will ya, if you reread my posts, I never said anything bad about Atlanta. I just stated my opinion that I think it's overrated. I noted that Nashville and Savannah were underrated because from the little I've heard about them I was pleasantly surprised.

Also consider the fact that I've lived in NYC, DC, Chicago and now SF so my perspective could be skewed. Maybe if I was from Knoxville or Buffalo my opinion would be different.

Last edited by Ebck120; 05-02-2016 at 12:48 PM..

Old 05-02-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I have been back to visit friends and family every year. You're missing the point here. I don't think Atlanta is a bad city. I think Atlanta has all of the basic requirements to be a good city without excelling at none for my personal taste.Calm down will ya, if you reread my posts, I never said anything bad about Atlanta. I just stated my opinion that I think it's overrated. I noted that Nashville and Savannah were underrated because from the little I've heard about them I was pleasantly surprised.
It's pretty interesting that you lived in Atlanta but didn't hear much about Savannah. Savannah gets a ton of positive press in Atlanta.

Old 05-02-2016, 02:00 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,715,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's pretty interesting that you lived in Atlanta but didn't hear much about Savannah. Savannah gets a ton of positive press in Atlanta.
I did when I was in Atlanta but not anywhere else I lived in minus the random blips here and there.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:16 PM

9,728 posts, read 9,497,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Chattanooga gets positive press in Nashville as well. It is a weekend getaway for a lot of Nashville residents, especially outdoor or festival enthusiasts. Chattanooga is also very family friendly. It is interesting that Charleston is definitely talked about much more than Savannah here, anyway. There are even a few Charleston restaurants and establishments opening up shop here in town.

Butcher & Bee | Charleston & Nashville

Caviar & Bananas coming to Nashville near Vanderbilt

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...nashville.html

Old 05-02-2016, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Chattanooga gets positive press in Nashville as well. It is a weekend getaway for a lot of Nashville residents, especially outdoor or festival enthusiasts. Chattanooga is also very family friendly. It is interesting that Charleston is definitely talked about much more than Savannah here, anyway. There are even a few Charleston restaurants and establishments opening up shop here in town.

Butcher & Bee | Charleston & Nashville

Caviar & Bananas coming to Nashville near Vanderbilt

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...nashville.html
Charleston has been a tourist destination longer than Savannah but from my perspective, they get nearly equal amount of press today.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:21 AM

31 posts, read 33,925 times
To me Atlanta has always been very overrated. Yeah it's huge and got everything but the sprawl is just too much, along with the traffic and just the general culture of the place.

Memphis is very underrated. Awesome people, amazing food, culture, and history. I got family in both cities and every time I go to ATL it's just a frustrating nightmare, it doesn't even feel like the South anymore to me.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:25 AM

31 posts, read 33,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello Is Here View Post

You trying to hard.LOL

Your not lying. Me and my whole family are from the South and we can't stand ATL. Atlanta metro barely has any southerners left outside the ghettos and suburbs that deep in suburban sprawl hell. True, it might have alot of black folks like most southern places but most of them are from the Northeast, Midwest, or West coast and they all seem to think there going to be the next big movie star or rapper just cause they live in Atlanta now. I swear half of Atlanta's population is transexual lesbian or gay wannabe strippers or rappers from New York or California that follow whatever trends the mainstream media pushes like there life depends on it. If the media ever promotes a rapper aggressively that wears pink tutus and black face with a chain made out of chicken drumsticks and calls his homies "my coon" there's gonna be thousands of tools down in Atlanta doing just that.
Only in Atlanta is getting robbed by a man wearing lipstick and pink shorts that say 'juicy' on the butt a common occurrence.

Last edited by SlimGravy; 05-03-2016 at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City