Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which can endure better living in?
Chicago Cold Season 87 50.88%
Houston Heat Season 84 49.12%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 10:05 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,152,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think he was talking about the population of the respective metros.
Yet if you look at the current growth of the two meteos, it's not close. Clearly, more people these days desire to live in Houston's unbearable summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 11:24 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,861,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I think he was talking about the population of the respective metros.
Exactly!

Old 08-04-2015, 06:06 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,422,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yet if you look at the current growth of the two meteos, it's not close. Clearly, more people these days desire to live in Houston's unbearable summers.
My guess is that it has more to do with jobs and COL than weather desirability for the lion's share of people who are moving. I mean there were years in which Chicago was one of the fastest growing cities in the entire world; it was probably not because of the weather desirability.

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 08-04-2015 at 07:05 AM..

Old 08-04-2015, 09:20 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,979,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
My guess is that it has more to do with jobs and COL than weather desirability for the lion's share of people who are moving. I mean there were years in which Chicago was one of the fastest growing cities in the entire world; it was probably not because of the weather desirability.
Bingo!

Chicago's winters can be brutal at times, but the summers more than make up for it. I dont think there are too many people who long to live in Houston's climate. Look at South Dakota's growth in recent years. I believe it leads the nation, actually, and its climate is notoriously bad. People go where jobs are.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:26 AM

20,524 posts, read 33,599,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Bingo!

Chicago's winters can be brutal at times, but the summers more than make up for it. I dont think there are too many people who long to live in Houston's climate. Look at South Dakota's growth in recent years. I believe it leads the nation, actually, and its climate is notoriously bad. People go where jobs are.
Yeah but Houston's winters are like Chicago Summers. Pleasant. But I get both you and his point. It comes down to can I live comfortably somewhere and have everything I need. If so, time to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City