Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which can endure better living in?
Chicago Cold Season 87 50.88%
Houston Heat Season 84 49.12%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 01:40 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,534,781 times

Advertisements

Right, I hope that was sarcasm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 02:02 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
you're lying, last year snow came to Chicago sometime in november.
The first legit snow we had in Chicago this past winter was the huge storm on February 1st.

The snow that came to Chicago in November was a 1.2" snowfall at the end of the month. Other than that (which wouldn't even be acknowledged, it melted immediately) there was no snow in November and again nothing in December.

January saw a few smaller storms around the 10th that had built up around 6" on the ground by the 15th, but that was all melted away within a day or so and then highs in the upper 30's to mid 40's through the last half of the month.

It was then clear on the ground until the big snow on February 1st, and THAT'S when the "snow came to Chicago" for this past winter, it was very late, but it lasted all month.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 07-13-2015 at 02:23 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 02:07 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,534,781 times
Right, it came very late this year, though spring lasted later than usual (right into our cool summer). People complain like mad when there isn't any snow by January, like several of the last few years. Lots of outdoor winter enthusiasts in the Upper Midwest.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:12 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times
I don't mind Chicago weather really, and I would actually miss November and December greatly. I need that shot of coldness and I love snow. It's always so busy around the city in November and December anyway that the cold never keeps anyone inside during those months. My body just can't stand the heat, I absolutely hate it. For winters though, I would be fine if we could just go from January 31st to March 1st and skip February, that's always when it gets a bit annoying.

My favorite times of the year in Chicago are probably June and then September through early Novemer. I think October is such a beautiful month, highs between 60 and the low 70's, the trees...football weather.

Old 07-13-2015, 03:42 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,927,566 times
I would be much more comfortable in a Chicago winter, but that's not the best example. You should be comparing a hot Houston summer with a Minneapolis winter, since both would be extremes...( I'd rather be in Minneapolis, by the way).

Old 07-13-2015, 04:31 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,422,433 times
Houston, I've been to Detroit during the winter and hated it. Houston summers are more tolerable imo.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:31 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,927,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwwwc View Post
The fact that you think that layering doesn't work shows you don't really have experience with it, and if you do then you were most likely doing it completely wrong. And I brought up arctic expeditions as something else about layering in general. If you honestly think that Chicago is even close to as cold as the arctic, then you are very ignorant. 30 degrees is extremely different than -30 degrees.
Layering does work, but the problem is that, compared to dressing for a Houston summer, it takes lots of effort; not only do you throw on the jackets and long sleeves, you also have to ensure that insulation is sound, with the proper material, and no exposed areas where the biting cold can come in and chill the body. On top of that, after you are done, the body is not too free to move around in, due to all the layers being worn, and moving about can be grating. In the end, the whole thing can be rendered nearly useless if any part of the body is exposed, even the face area around the eyes. And when you breath in that chilling air, that sends a straight shot of cold right down to the core; in the end, you are left feeling cold, while sweating on the inside from all those layers. Such a bad combination.

Meanwhile, in Houston summers, all you have to do is throw on a tee, some shorts, and some shoes, and you are good to go. Even with the heat and humidity, walking around in Houston summers would just be an annoyance at most, and will not keep you at bay like Chicago cold will. The plentiful natural shade in Houston, frequent breezes from the sea, fluffy clouds to block the sun from time to time, and frequent rainfall on many days provide lots of opportunity for comfort during summers, enough to get the person recharged and ready to go. Houston summers are easy money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I would be much more comfortable in a Chicago winter, but that's not the best example. You should be comparing a hot Houston summer with a Minneapolis winter, since both would be extremes...( I'd rather be in Minneapolis, by the way).
The degree of heat Houston has during summer is less than the degree of cold Chicago has during winter, so there is no way Houston summers can compare to Minneapolis winters. To illustrate how much less extreme Houston's heat is compared to Chicago's cold, there is the fact that Houston's average summer temps are similar to that seen in many tropical resorts, meaning that people vacation and relax in such conditions frequently (and thus can't be described as "hard to deal with"). Furthermore, areas of Chicago have seen temps as high as 111F, which is hotter than the record high of the entire Houston area.

If you want to see truly comparable heat to the cold of Chicago (or Minneapolis), then look no further than the Desert Southwest.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 07-13-2015 at 09:25 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 09:18 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,283,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
The degree of heat Houston has during summer is less than the degree of cold Chicago has during winter, so there is no way Houston summers can compare to Minneapolis winters. To illustrate how much less extreme Houston's heat is compared to Chicago's cold, there is the fact that Houston's average summer temps are similar to that seen in many tropical resorts, meaning that people vacation and relax in such conditions frequently (and thus can't be described as "hard to deal with"). Furthermore, areas of Chicago have seen temps as high as 111F, which is hotter than the record high of the entire Houston area.

If you want to see truly comparable heat to the cold of Chicago (or Minneapolis), then look no further than the Desert Southwest.
Tourist, professionals, highly educated and business travelers. Do choose Chicago.... especially its downtown over Houston. It may affect the vote too? Because we can dislike winters. But still have a preference for Chicago.... sorry.

Houston begs for the day it can declare Overtaking Chicago. Annexing land to faster population increase. But in reality.... Chicago remains a superior city.

Tourist on visitor feedback sights. Place Chicago. A HIGH#2 behind NYC. Because of high visitor feedback comments.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travelers...ions-cTop-g191

Old 07-13-2015, 09:42 PM

492 posts, read 1,150,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Right, I hope that was sarcasm.
The superior Houston weather vs the inferior Chicago area weather can clearly be shown by the stats.

Metrostudy’s 1Q15 survey of the Houston new home market showed continued strong performance. Houston’s resale market closed on 83,224 single-family homes from Mar 2014 through Mar 2015.

Metrostudy’s survey of the twelve county Chicagoland region shows that only a total of 5,228 units during a twelve month period ending Mar2015 closed. Even with the recent uptick in job growth, the slowdown in closings gives cause for concern.

Houston Market | Metrostudy Report | Primary and secondary housing market information, research and consulting.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:08 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,929,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
The superior Houston weather vs the inferior Chicago area weather can clearly be shown by the stats.

Metrostudy’s 1Q15 survey of the Houston new home market showed continued strong performance. Houston’s resale market closed on 83,224 single-family homes from Mar 2014 through Mar 2015.

Metrostudy’s survey of the twelve county Chicagoland region shows that only a total of 5,228 units during a twelve month period ending Mar2015 closed. Even with the recent uptick in job growth, the slowdown in closings gives cause for concern.

Houston Market | Metrostudy Report | Primary and secondary housing market information, research and consulting.

Regardless, Houston will never be a Chicago. The lakefront and skyscrapers are stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City