Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which can endure better living in?
Chicago Cold Season 87 50.88%
Houston Heat Season 84 49.12%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 07:22 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,410,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
In the winter I will wait until the temp reaches at least 50f so maybe it is different strokes but I love running in moderate heat , to me that's under 92 or so, and humidity. The aerobic buzz is so much better after a good sweaty run.

So you could breath better in below zero temps ?
Around 30F with a light snow is actually my favorite running condition. I feel like I could run for days during that kind of weather (figuratively speaking). I don't do much layering until 10-15F, which doesn't happen too frequently in Chicago until Jan-Feb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 07:26 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,505,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
50 degrees is pretty mild for a runner, considering that one should dress if it were 20 degrees warmer. If its 90 degrees and then your performance is reduced, and run the risk of heat stroke. Measuring your aerobic buzz by the amount of sweat is an interesting concept, but to each their own; i get my buzz when i can nail a hard training at a specific pace, or complete a long run.
I have no doubt that anybody's aerobic buzz will be more intense after running in heat than in cooler or cold weather. You will lose more weight and excrete more toxins. I have years of personal running experience to draw on. Keep in mind I'm running 3 or 4 miles not training for a marathon but Houston has been and is a magnate for track and field athletes who see the heat and humidity as a good training environment.

I wear short sleeve oxford grey t-shirts, shorts and running shoes with low cut socks.If you are in reasonably good shape low 90's is mild, especially if you are used to it. I used to run in the hottest part of the summer up until about 5 years or so ago (except for the major heat waves) but I have run in temps of over 100f before and wasn't that uncomfortable. I mind you I do run in as much shade as possible and run circular routes so I will be running into the breeze at least half of the time.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 07-15-2015 at 07:49 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Around 30F with a light snow is actually my favorite running condition. I feel like I could run for days during that kind of weather (figuratively speaking). I don't do much layering until 10-15F, which doesn't happen too frequently in Chicago until Jan-Feb.
30 is way to cold for me and 15f is alien territory lol. I would pick about 85f as my perfect running temp..

Old 07-15-2015, 07:54 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,088 times
Quote:
I have no doubt that anybody's aerobic buzz will be more intense after running in heat than in cooler or cold weather. You will lose more weight and excrete more toxins. I have years of personal running experience to back this up. Keep in mind I'm running 3 or 4 miles not training for a marathon but Houston has been and is a magnate for track and field athletes who see the heat and humidity as a good training environment.

I wear short sleeve oxford grey t-shirts, shorts and running shoes with low cut socks.If you are in reasonably good shape low 90's is mild, especially if you are used to it. I used to run in the hottest part of the summer up until about 5 years or so ago (except for the major heat waves) but I have run in temps of over 100f before and wasn't that uncomfortable. I mind you I do run in as much shade as possible and run circular routes so I will be running into the breeze at least half of the time.
Sure, i guess we just measure aerobic buzz differently (if that is even such a thing), and is that scientifically proven that you lost more weight and excrete more toxins in the heat? I dont agree, especially if you cannot complete a workout to your maximum potential because weather is impacting your performance. I dont disagree that heat and humidity helps some track and field athletes, but colder environments in the midwest/new england have also produced its share of top notch runners.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Sure, i guess we just measure aerobic buzz differently (if that is even such a thing), and is that scientifically proven that you lost more weight and excrete more toxins in the heat? I dont agree, especially if you cannot complete a workout to your maximum potential because weather is impacting your performance. I dont disagree that heat and humidity helps some track and field athletes, but colder environments in the midwest/new england have also produced its share of top notch runners.
To me "aerobic buzz" is the feelings of euphoria you get towards the end of your runs and afterwards. As far as measuring pulse rates and BP to gauge athletic performance, I don't do that but I don't think you will argue that you will at least lose more water weight running in the heat than the cold will you?

Old 07-15-2015, 08:18 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
I'd rather deal with the cold in Chicago, I mean...come on, Chicago vs Houston? Game over.

Ice Skating in Millennium Park, Skiing at various resorts in neighboring Wisconsin, sledding/innertubing, snowmobiling, snowball fights, a TRULY White Christmas. You can't have any of that in Houston. Sure the climate is more amiable, but there is practically no snow there, ever.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'd rather deal with the cold in Chicago, I mean...come on, Chicago vs Houston? Game over.

Ice Skating in Millennium Park, Skiing at various resorts in neighboring Wisconsin, sledding/innertubing, snowmobiling, snowball fights, a TRULY White Christmas. You can't have any of that in Houston. Sure the climate is more amiable, but there is practically no snow there, ever.
ah ha, finally a honest answer. Although this poster admits that Houston's weather is "more amiable" he votes for Chicago because he likes Chicago as a city more, which is fine however it is not what the OP asked which was which season is more bearable Houston's summer or Chicago winter. Thank you Coldailment this puts the thread and poll results in their proper perspective. bye bye..

Old 07-15-2015, 09:06 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,982,700 times
Quote:
ah ha, finally a honest answer. Although this poster admits that Houston's weather is "more amiable" he votes for Chicago because he likes Chicago as a city more, which is fine however it is not what the OP asked which was which season is more bearable Houston's summer or Chicago winter. Thank you Coldailment this puts the thread and poll results in their proper perspective. bye bye..
Well if you're going to endure the weather you have to be able to endure the city too. If it was just about climates he could have said midwest winter vs deep south summer, but he didn't.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
Both are long brutal seasons and makes you want to stay in. You must wear layers and shovel snow during winters up north, while summers in south are over 100 degrees and very humid where you must shower everyday from sweaty clothes. Which do you prefer to endure if you were forced to live between the these two weather extremes?
the OP ^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Well if you're going to endure the weather you have to be able to endure the city too. If it was just about climates he could have said midwest winter vs deep south summer, but he didn't.
No he was speaking strictly about the weather extremes, read it yourself...

Old 07-15-2015, 09:56 PM

3,580 posts, read 3,082,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
Both are long brutal seasons and makes you want to stay in. You must wear layers and shovel snow during winters up north, while summers in south are over 100 degrees and very humid where you must shower everyday from sweaty clothes. Which do you prefer to endure if you were forced to live between the these two weather extremes?
It is not frigid cold and it does not snow every single day during Chicago winters. There are many days in the 40s and 50s throughout typical winters. Some years little to no snow falls until after Christmas. If it snows too much, you may have to stay home and miss a day of school or work.

While it rarely goes over 100 in Houston during a typical summer, outside of a late cold front in early June, early cold front in late September, or a hurricane/tropical storm - EVERY-SINGLE-DAY in June thru September highs range from 92-99 and lows from 75-80 with dew points in the upper 70s. At 6am when you leave your house, moisture condenses on your a/c chilled skin, and coupled with the sweat that doesn't evaporate in near 100% humidity atmosphere of early morning leaves you dripping and soaking thru your clothes even before the heat of day approaches. Throw in a relentless sun thru milky white haze typical of Houston - as you approach your job in a city where over 1000 cars a week are added to the grid, and you are left in a hot soaking misery only to then be blasted into freezing by over-cooled buildings trying to chill down prior to the daytime heat soaking in. Then maybe, once you have resolved yourself to living in the hazy heat and near drought conditions over several days or weeks, in come the tropical rains - first in pop-up thunderstorms that always seem to appear during your commutes, steam rising from the scorching roadways like smoke, but never drench your thirsty lawn and garden - then in tropical waves that drop 1 to 4 inches an hour, drenching, and periodically flooding entire neighborhoods. Then, if you have managed to avoid the storms by parking and staying on high ground, and think it is over and the drier heat returns for a few days, in come tropical depressions, storms, or even hurricanes from the gulf - and you hope and pray that if they do hit and damage your home that the damage exceeds the 5% hurricane deductible for your $5000+ near-gulf coast homeowners policy on your $150000 suburban home. You still debate whether to leave town since you got stuck in evacuation traffic for over 20 hours during Rita - and your dog died in the car from overheating when you ran low on fuel and couldn't run the a/c - but being at home during Ike was no picnic when the tornadoes hit the neighborhood and your back fence pieces kept slamming into your back wall while the tiles on your kitchen wall started falling off when the walls swelled at 3 in the morning, and wind-driven rain pushed thru your ridge vent into the attic and seeped thru your ceiling drywall. Anyway, I digress...

I pick Chicago winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City