Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which can endure better living in?
Chicago Cold Season 87 50.88%
Houston Heat Season 84 49.12%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 10:01 PM

125 posts, read 206,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
The superior Houston weather vs the inferior Chicago area weather can clearly be shown by the stats.

Metrostudy’s 1Q15 survey of the Houston new home market showed continued strong performance. Houston’s resale market closed on 83,224 single-family homes from Mar 2014 through Mar 2015.

Metrostudy’s survey of the twelve county Chicagoland region shows that only a total of 5,228 units during a twelve month period ending Mar2015 closed. Even with the recent uptick in job growth, the slowdown in closings gives cause for concern.

Houston Market | Metrostudy Report | Primary and secondary housing market information, research and consulting.
I would give more credibility and importance to professionals at Metrostudy, who make their living by studying the marketplace and coming up with the above numbers; than some opinionated CD "professionals".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 10:15 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,984,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
the OP ^^^^

No he was speaking strictly about the weather extremes, read it yourself...
I did read it, I see "Chicago winters" vs "Houston summers". I still pick Chicago winters on based on two criteria:

1. I'd rather be in snowy Chicago in the winter, lots of wintry things to do.
2. Summer in Chicago is much more mild, and there are still a number of summer activities you can do in the warmer months.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:16 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,984,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diet1 View Post
I would give more credibility and importance to professionals at Metrostudy, who make their living by studying the marketplace and coming up with the above numbers; than some opinionated CD "professionals".
Those numbers are skewed, obviously no one wants to move in the winter when it's snowy.

Old 07-15-2015, 11:36 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
It is not frigid cold and it does not snow every single day during Chicago winters. There are many days in the 40s and 50s throughout typical winters. Some years little to no snow falls until after Christmas. If it snows too much, you may have to stay home and miss a day of school or work.

While it rarely goes over 100 in Houston during a typical summer, outside of a late cold front in early June, early cold front in late September, or a hurricane/tropical storm - EVERY-SINGLE-DAY in June thru September highs range from 92-99 and lows from 75-80 with dew points in the upper 70s. At 6am when you leave your house, moisture condenses on your a/c chilled skin, and coupled with the sweat that doesn't evaporate in near 100% humidity atmosphere of early morning leaves you dripping and soaking thru your clothes even before the heat of day approaches. Throw in a relentless sun thru milky white haze typical of Houston - as you approach your job in a city where over 1000 cars a week are added to the grid, and you are left in a hot soaking misery only to then be blasted into freezing by over-cooled buildings trying to chill down prior to the daytime heat soaking in. Then maybe, once you have resolved yourself to living in the hazy heat and near drought conditions over several days or weeks, in come the tropical rains - first in pop-up thunderstorms that always seem to appear during your commutes, steam rising from the scorching roadways like smoke, but never drench your thirsty lawn and garden - then in tropical waves that drop 1 to 4 inches an hour, drenching, and periodically flooding entire neighborhoods. Then, if you have managed to avoid the storms by parking and staying on high ground, and think it is over and the drier heat returns for a few days, in come tropical depressions, storms, or even hurricanes from the gulf - and you hope and pray that if they do hit and damage your home that the damage exceeds the 5% hurricane deductible for your $5000+ near-gulf coast homeowners policy on your $150000 suburban home. You still debate whether to leave town since you got stuck in evacuation traffic for over 20 hours during Rita - and your dog died in the car from overheating when you ran low on fuel and couldn't run the a/c - but being at home during Ike was no picnic when the tornadoes hit the neighborhood and your back fence pieces kept slamming into your back wall while the tiles on your kitchen wall started falling off when the walls swelled at 3 in the morning, and wind-driven rain pushed thru your ridge vent into the attic and seeped thru your ceiling drywall. Anyway, I digress...

I pick Chicago winters.
That's quite a hatchet job you posted there but I guarantee you that more people and dogs die each year in Chicago blizzards than heat, tropical or rain events in Houston.

The Four Worst Winters Ever In Chicago « CBS Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I did read it, I see "Chicago winters" vs "Houston summers". I still pick Chicago winters on based on two criteria:

1. I'd rather be in snowy Chicago in the winter, lots of wintry things to do.
2. Summer in Chicago is much more mild, and there are still a number of summer activities you can do in the warmer months.
Yes when confronted with the actual OP you reason after the fact, but you yourself posted that Houston's weather was more "amiable" meaning having or displaying a friendly and pleasant manner in your original reply in the thread. Too late to back track now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Those numbers are skewed, obviously no one wants to move in the winter when it's snowy.
If Chicago winters are more bearable than Houston summers why wouldn't people want to move in the winter? People have no problems moving to Houston in the summer ? You betray your own argument

Old 07-16-2015, 05:49 AM

3,581 posts, read 3,084,096 times
Quote:
That's quite a hatchet job you posted there but I guarantee you that more people and dogs die each year in Chicago blizzards than heat, tropical or rain events in Houston.

Sounds like some rough winters. How many people died? Were thousands of homes damaged and destroyed? Were tens of thousands made homeless? Do you pay higher insurance rates for "snow insurance"?

Texas Floods: Death Toll Rises as More Bodies ID'd Amid Another Storm - NBC News

Grisly finds put Houston-area Ike death toll at 32 - Houston Chronicle

Exodus weighs heavily in death toll: 107 - Houston Chronicle

https://www.hcfcd.org/storm-center/t...storm-allison/

The Five Worst Tropical Weather Events in Houston History | Houston Press

Old 07-16-2015, 06:30 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,929,908 times
Quote:

Yes when confronted with the actual OP you reason after the fact, but you yourself posted that Houston's weather was more "amiable" meaning having or displaying a friendly and pleasant manner in your original reply in the thread. Too late to back track now...

If Chicago winters are more bearable than Houston summers why wouldn't people want to move in the winter? People have no problems moving to Houston in the summer ? You betray your own argument

Probably a bad choice for a comment. And, according to the poll results, just because you don't like winter, doesn't mean everyone feels that way. AND, Chicago doesn't have the worst winters or nearly the most snowfall out of northern cities. Once again, you really shouldn't be talking about death tolls from weather events.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:52 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,859,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Wow, reading this thread makes it readily apparent that there are definitely weather wimps in this country.
My thoughts as well. I acclimate well and I'm able to adapt to either, very easily. I'm from Chicagoland and I've lived in TN and I live in GA. I spent a summer in TX in my youth. I was stationed in Fairbanks, AK for three years.

After a summer, brief or otherwise, I enjoy the winter. The inverse is also true.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:00 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,267,693 times
Ask George H Bush who is up in Maine now

Old 07-16-2015, 07:04 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Every year 20 to 30 or more people die in Cook County (I won't bring the rest of the state into this or even the rest of the MSA) from hypothermia. These are deaths reported in normal winters not some once in a decade or two events or some Hurricane that hit Galveston over 100 years ago . BTW is Chicago still on fire ?

https://www.google.com/#q=cold+relat...ounty+annually

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Probably a bad choice for a comment. And, according to the poll results, just because you don't like winter, doesn't mean everyone feels that way. AND, Chicago doesn't have the worst winters or nearly the most snowfall out of northern cities. Once again, you really shouldn't be talking about death tolls from weather events.
Anybody who puts any credence into any C-D poll result obviously doesn't understand what scientific polling methods include. The results of this particular C-D poll is particularly bogus and reeks of homerism. They may be fun but are not in any way probative of the society at large. It has already been posted that in general people prefer Hot/warm over freezing cold at least 2 to 1.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:17 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Wow, reading this thread makes it readily apparent that there are definitely weather wimps in this country.
That's America for ya. I've seen exaggerations on both sides on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City