Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 03:29 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,079 times

Advertisements

Which, US city do you feel has an urban scale that's most similar to that of Montreal? I would have to go with Philadelphia. The populations (within the city limits) are fairly similar. The CBDs seem similarly-sized and both seem to have the same level of urban contiguity between their respective CBDs and surrounding neighborhoods. I think Philadelphia has more office space in its core and Montreal has more retail. Also, Montreal has a bit more foot traffic in its core; all that aside, the two seem comparable in urban scale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 04:26 PM

233 posts, read 333,900 times
It is a bit closer to Boston in terms of metro size, although I don't think the Philly comparison is crazy either. It definitely felt more like an east coast city than anywhere else in the US when I visited

Old 07-18-2015, 04:47 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Having never been to Montreal, I am going to go with Philadelphia. Maybe San Francisco?

Boston seems too small.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Maybe San Francisco?
I feel like SF's core feels significantly bigger/more intense than Montreal's.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:05 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,377 times
Definitely Philly

Old 07-18-2015, 05:30 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,108,341 times
Don't the people of Montreal have to retreat to the underground city for like half the year?

Old 07-18-2015, 06:27 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,489,799 times
When I visited Montreal and actually explored the city, DC came to mind frequently. Think areas of DC like Adams Morgan, or maybe Dupont Circle. A good case could be made for Philly or Boston, too.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:03 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,285,733 times
If you consider Boston's core to be made up of Boston proper/Cambridge/Somerville/Brookline then definitely Boston. Basically all my friends in Montreal and the Montreal folks who have relocated to Boston basically say these two are sister cities in many ways.

Philly definitely is a close second, Brooklyn also comes to mind.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:16 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,044 times
The Montreal metro is 3.8 million, placing it just above San Diego, Minneapolis, and Seattle, and just below Detroit and Phoenix.

Montreal's urban population density is 5.7K per square mile, which is higher than San Diego, Detroit, and Phoenix, but lower than Minneapolis and Seattle.

Given geographic similarities, I'll say that Montreal is most similar to Minneapolis in terms of its urban scale alone. However, comparing other factors, Montreal has more in common with Boston and Philadelphia than in does with Minneapolis.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
If you consider Boston's core to be made up of Boston proper/Cambridge/Somerville/Brookline then definitely Boston.
When referring to the urban scale in the OP, I'd originally intended to just compare the sections of the city where walking and taking public transit reign supreme; so in Montreal this would be virtually all of Ville-Marie, le Plateau-Mont-Royal, Cotes-des-neiges, Outremont. In Philly, I was guessing it'd include Center City, half of West Philly (including UCity), lower North and lower Northeast Philly (Northern Liberties,Brewerytown), and about half of South Philly. In Boston, it would include Downtown,Back Bay,South End, Fenway-Kenmore, parts of Allston/Brighton; also Cambridge around Harvard/Central squares and Somerville around Davis Square can be included.

I do think that Montreal's pedestrian/transit-dominant zone is quite a bit larger than Boston's. I'd be curious to see the population in Boston/Cambridge living above 30k/sq mile vs Montreal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City