Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 04:57 AM

36,661 posts, read 67,572,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
The West Coast is "faux liberal" in the sense that it's socially liberal but also libertarian. Ultimately its materialistic values trump its social justice values.
Meh.

Conservatives out west might be more Libertarian definitely than their counterparts in the South, I suppose.

But the Liberals out west who could be perceived as more inclined to care for their wealth than social issues are no more into 'materialistic values' than Liberals in Manhattan or DC. It's all the same.

I also think as one ages, one becomes less idealistic about things, or at least they should be more realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 11:48 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,646,079 times
To the people lumping west coast politics in a single bucket, to the people equating SF with OC due to desire to protect and flaunt "material wealth", to the people claiming SF is a homogeneous white suburb now.

Wow. Just wow.

I offer up the suggestion that you quit typing. The hippies flourished most in the 60s when SF was largely Catholic and conservative. Harvey Milk was assassinated in 1978, only 37 years ago, when gays had no rights and were controversial, even in SF. As recently as 1984 30-40% of the city voted for Republican presidential candidates.

Politics changes with time. But if you want to read the most scientific study on liberalism in American cities, look no further than the 2014 study done by MIT/UCLA that attempted to see if city politicians adapted and responded to their voter constituents.

It found that indeed they do, and it found that the top 5 most liberal major cities were San Francisco, DC, Seattle, Oakland, and Boston, in that order.

https://newsoffice.mit.edu/2014/city...to-voters-0729

Daily chart: Urban ideologies | The Economist

If you think the entire west coast is flashy and materialistic and "faux" liberal, you should just stop talking now. I can legitimately count 9 American cities that I feel I have spent enough time in to understand to a degree the locals, local politics, etc. I have visited many dozens of cities. Of those 9, 5 aren't even considered liberal. So I have really only spent substantial time as a resident or extended/connected (through family, work, or close friends) visitor in 4 cities that are "liberal", and none strike me as liberal or progressive as San Francisco.

Also, with only one exception, I can't name another city that feels less homogeneous on the ground. NYC is the only other city in America where I've been where I legitimately hear more languages just walking around, see more skin colors, and see just as much variation in perceived income.

Certainly anyone in SF making less than $150K is feeling the crunch these days, and noticing more people making more than that threshold comfortably moving in. Such is the nature of this boom and bust town, ever since it came into existence as a Western settlement in the late 1840s. But where most cities would welcome the boom with open arms, SF is probably the most antagonistic city to its own up cycles. Due to the extreme activism of its locals, and that even includes relative newcomers who get sucked into local politics. In fact, I know one girl who came to work for Google, and now is a holistic healer instead. No other city in America has the power to do that to people like SF does. One cannot make statements about SF politics without in depth knowledge of the local politics, and I highly doubt anyone on this board aside from a few locals knows anything about local politics. Nationally, Nancy Pelosi, Diane Feinstein, the Ninth Circuit, the Sierra Club are all names still eponymously tied to SF. That's not indicative of a faux liberal city. That's indicative of a boldly entrenched union stronghold favoring environmentally forward thinking policy and social justice.

On this notion that SF is like OC...I doubt posters making that equation have been to either place? SF couldn't be more different...like the two look, feel, are complete opposites. A mansion in SF is anything over 4-5,000 sf. There basically are no homes over 10,000 sf. For as much wealth as there is, nobody drives around in cars > $100K in the Bay Area. You just don't see that. Even in the suburbs, on average, the nice homes are relatively modest in appearance and size, favoring privacy and a rare big yard. Berkeley and Stanford are politically soooooo different from USC, which is filled with OC/SoCal students. (UCLA being an LA stronghold and also very different from USC, probably more like a Stanford student body).

I just have to quit now...this is too much to hear outside posters making comments on CA, LA, OC, SF, and other places based on Google Streetview and major economic changes happening, at the moment. I don't know if SF is absolutely, scientifically the most liberal major city in America. MIT/UCLA conclude that, and on my own more limited experience I feel it is more liberal than any other city I've spent in depth time in (and my list does not include Seattle or DC...but from a distance, what those cities are allowing in terms of development and change would never fly in SF, so I don't know...are they more liberal?). But I know enough that SF won't turn into OC and is not resembling OC now.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:48 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,395,952 times
Like others have said, there is a difference between someone being a Democrat and being a Liberal. The political parties in this country are big tents. Each has a variety of groups in them. There are plenty of conservative democrats. Especially in more rural states.

Then you have places like Massachusetts which are heavily dominated by the democratic party that the REAL elections are the democratic primaries. Same goes for my fellow republicans in different areas.

The "Liberals" are a group that is housed under the democratic party tent.

Old 07-12-2015, 02:30 PM

275 posts, read 416,615 times
The terms "liberal" and "faux liberal" are problematic, but I think OP's question is indicative of growing fragmentation within the American left (and American politics, more generally). IMO the Democratic Party has two main wings right now:

1. An internationalist wing that is popular with Wall Street and Silicon Valley. These Democrats tend to support free trade, military interventionism, amnesty, government surveillance, gun control, etc. Their rhetoric revolves ideas like "diversity" and "pragmatism." They are best represented by Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. I've always felt like they are a reincarnation of the old Rockefeller Republicans who were associated with the Eastern establishment.

2. A populist wing that draws most of its support from less urban areas like Vermont, Oregon, Colorado, etc. These Democrats tend to be against free trade, government surveillance, and military intervention. They are less interested in gun control and immigration. Their rhetoric revolves more ideas of "inequality" and the "one percent." They are best represented by Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren. These populists are the ideological descendants of the old Democratic Party (FDR, William Jennings Bryant, etc.) when it was the party of the "common man."

Now, there are plenty of populist Democrats in cities and internationalist ones in rural areas. Generally speaking, though, internationalists are associated with cities like NYC and San Francisco.

Last edited by Frank Bones; 07-12-2015 at 02:39 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 02:38 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,801,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Seems like a lot of cities claim to be liberal but only in the sense that there are young people who are "liberal" who live in the city for a few years only to get married, move to the suburbs, reproduce, and become conservative (justifying it as "for fiscal reasons" or what not). I am 29 and have several friends who have done this. Just saw a pretty awful Facebook post from a friend who lived in liberal Chicago and now lives in Naperville posting about how marriage should be between a man and a woman. Bleh. Anyway, I honestly think there are only a few truly liberal cities in the country: NYC, Boston, Philly, Seattle, LA, DC, Minneapolis, Portland, and a handful of smaller less important cities.

SF used to be the poster child of liberal America but it is so monocultural these days, I don't even know what to think about it. Seems like the next OC to me, or will be in terms of demographics. The Bay Area overall is liberal though. Chicago is another weird case. I think it's sort of half and half between faux liberals and actual liberals.

Most other Midwestern cities including KC, Indy, etc are pretty fake liberal IMO.

Do you agree? Disagree? Any other cities to add to the list?
This is an absolutely ridiculous post.

There are tons of social conservatives that I have met when I lived in NYC (that still voted Democrat), and there are tons of social conservatives that I know in LA (that also vote Democrat).

And yes, I had to de-friend some of them on FB because they posted anti same-sex marriage blurbs. These people were born and raised in the so called "Actually Liberal" cities you mentioned.

I don't know the point you are trying to mention about Chicago, but I found it equally as accepting as all the other cities! I don't see much difference in your black and white attitude on life than in the one's you are painting a negative portrait of. Not everybody in every city is going to agree on everything.

"Faux Liberal" and "Actual Liberal" doesn't really exist. Chicago, New York, and LA are all solidly liberal but there are clearly grey areas where everybody won't agree on everything. Minorities in big cities sometimes are very socially conservative while Whites are sometimes economically conservative (especially in NYC) - so that's where the grey lines are drawn.

Look at the world with more open eyes.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:27 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,870,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
This is an absolutely ridiculous post.

There are tons of social conservatives that I have met when I lived in NYC (that still voted Democrat), and there are tons of social conservatives that I know in LA (that also vote Democrat).

And yes, I had to de-friend some of them on FB because they posted anti same-sex marriage blurbs. These people were born and raised in the so called "Actually Liberal" cities you mentioned.

I don't know the point you are trying to mention about Chicago, but I found it equally as accepting as all the other cities! I don't see much difference in your black and white attitude on life than in the one's you are painting a negative portrait of. Not everybody in every city is going to agree on everything.

"Faux Liberal" and "Actual Liberal" doesn't really exist. Chicago, New York, and LA are all solidly liberal but there are clearly grey areas where everybody won't agree on everything. Minorities in big cities sometimes are very socially conservative while Whites are sometimes economically conservative (especially in NYC) - so that's where the grey lines are drawn.

Look at the world with more open eyes.
As you state above, Los Angeles certainly has a large contingent of conservatives. They are just mostly drowned out by the millions of left-leaning residents.

Much of Los Angeles' left-wingedness comes from its massive Mexican and Central American populations. While they are never going to vote Republican, they do hold fairly conservative social values; there is a reason that Los Angeles County (embarrassingly) voted in favor of Prop 8. I think Santa Barbara County was the only Southern Californian county to vote against it.

And of course, Los Angeles is home to many "limousine liberals" or "latte liberals," as they are derided. The types that claim to espouse very populist ideas but then vote against subways (to keep "them" out), try to keep affordable housing out of their vicinity, block bike lanes in other neighborhoods because the street is along their commute, etc.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:01 PM

9,687 posts, read 9,418,052 times
Faux Liberal: Drives a BMW. Wears skinny jeans, sips espresso on their laptop at Starbucks, pretends to care about social issues but would never think about interacting with people of different cultures on a daily basis. Only stays in the "good section" of town. Watches MSNBC but worships Rand Paul. Places blind faith in fads, trends, and gimmicks. Spends time buying vinyl records, catching Uber rides, making fun of fat people. Doesn't have any conservative friends. May be found at Nordstrom, Whole Foods, Starbucks, Crossfit Gyms, Wall Street, or online at Tinder or Facebook. Beware of narcissistic tendencies.....

Actually Liberal: Drives a Subaru. Wears whatever fits their personality. Has a pantry full of Zevia, Kettle potato chips, and Harry and David chocolate truffles. Shops local. Gives to charities. Spends time helping others grow and develop their talents. Has a diverse group of friends from varied backgrounds and socio-economic classes. Places self worth on creativity and contributing to the betterment of society. Has conservative friends they truly care about. May be found at nature retreats, homeless shelters, the voting booth, the mountains, nude beaches and campgrounds, or at the library doing research. Beware of hippy tendencies...

Old 07-14-2015, 10:25 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,541,944 times
I don't think that I can express how much I hate the term "real liberal" (or "real conservative" for that matter). This stupid litmus testing of ideological purity is ruining America.

"Oh, this person opposed raising taxes for more social programs? FAKE LIBERAL!!!"

"Oh, this person supported Obama on something? FAKE CONSERVATIVE!!!"

It's polarizing and creates the absolute gridlock we see in Washington today. Nobody can compromise or work together on anything for fear of antagonizing the ideology police.

I'll step off my soapbox. I guess I CAN express how much I hate these terms lol.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:39 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,535,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
"Faux Liberal" and "Actual Liberal" doesn't really exist.
Yup. [/thread]

Old 07-15-2015, 10:47 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,686,375 times
The West started off with social liberal movements, such as gay acceptance and drug use. On the East, it took a while for these socially liberal initiatives to take root. What's ironic about these "liberal" cities is that they are often hotbeds of concentrated poverty and high inequality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City