Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 07:10 AM

82 posts, read 88,469 times

Advertisements

Admin feel free to move/delete as necessary

Which 'remote' city do you think has the most advantages? By 'remote' or inland, I meet a city with significant distance to a coast. Some might classify different cities under this. I'll give my personal examples here:

I have grown up and lived my entire life in Nashville, TN. The closest coast on a major body of water is north FL/S AL/S MS/LA. This means that almost all seafood has to be trucked in. A lot of our goods are trucked or flown in.

This raises costs on a lot of things-for example, I estimate I spend ~2x what I would spend on my high quality diet in Nashville compared to say, Los Angeles, maybe more so if you were to go to the farms north of Santa Barbara.

I am about to move to Colorado, an arguably more extreme example of 'remoteness.' With an obvious choice being Denver if you don't count Chicago as inland, what other cities/states/areas do you see as having a high quality of life that are not along the coasts?

What makes people want to sustain these places with the amount of effort required to get goods and services available to the general public? Is it fixed simply by money?

For example, while Nashville is far inland, we have better access to fresh produce than anyone within 500 miles, outside of Atlanta-though Atlanta is readily considered an east coast city by many. While there are certain drawbacks to living in Nashville, the year I spent in rural TN showed that Nashville is fortunate to have certain resources that it has compared to the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 07:14 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times
Pittsburgh does well in QOL rankings.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:34 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,070,430 times
Twin Cities come to mind.

Old 07-31-2015, 07:35 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,956,558 times
Minneapolis, Madison, Kansas City, Dallas, Austin, Salt Lake City, Columbus, Grand Rapids, Calgary, and Edmonton come to mind. Even Toronto sort of fits this criteria, but since it is on a Great Lake that empties into a river with direct access to the ocean, I don't count it.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:38 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
This list may help: City Rankings

Old 07-31-2015, 10:08 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
It depends on what you mean by "remote". As for cities in landlocked states, I would say Denver, Kansas City, Minneapolis, Indianapolis, and possibly Louisville.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:16 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,533,154 times
I don't quite get the gist of this. Areas where "seafood has to be trucked in" are at a disadvantage? That's the only negative I saw listed in the OP. I'd say that's of pretty small concern, overall. All coastal cities have items "trucked in" as well.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:34 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,731,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I don't quite get the gist of this. Areas where "seafood has to be trucked in" are at a disadvantage? That's the only negative I saw listed in the OP. I'd say that's of pretty small concern, overall. All coastal cities have items "trucked in" as well.
No kidding. Apparently the OP thinks there are grain fields and cattle farms in the ocean.

And the comment about why we "sustain" cities that aren't on the coast is just bizarre.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:42 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,070,430 times
For the OP to reason that their "high quality diet" would cost less in LA to me indicates that they haven't ventured very far from Nashville at this point. Certainly never bought a "high quality diet" in LA. You would also have to deliberately ignore the fact that the nations middle section is loaded with farms and some of the most fertile soil on the planet.

It would seem to be somewhat uninformed as to how economics work. Which is why the cost of living for "inland" cities is less than coastal cities. I wouldn't take it too seriously, the OP needs to get out a little and their perspective will align with reality.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:43 PM

82 posts, read 88,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
It would seem to be somewhat uninformed as to how economics work. Which is why the cost of living for "inland" cities is less than coastal cities. I wouldn't take it too seriously, the OP needs to get out a little and their perspective will align with reality.
I have been to 33 states. Is that good enough for you? I have spent the last 10 summers outside of Nashville (3 months each, in different places such as DC, Rochester, NY, rural Alabama, Colorado, etc). Still not good enough right? Of course, because there's no true scotsman.

Some people are so dense. After some research, it turns out Tennessee has some of the highest sales tax to an extreme since we don't have a state income tax. This makes the cost of things like food out of proportion compared to elsewhere, where people pay higher taxes on property/income but much less on individual purchases. A good breakfast sandwich I've had in NYC for $2.50 would cost around $6 here. I've had the sandwich in lots of places in both NYC and as many as I can find here in Nashville.

I'm curious about the '10%' or those who are not the 90% of Americans that live within a short distance of a coast. Thanks for those who replied with reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City