Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you think makes the best shows / movies?
NYC 7 24.14%
LA 20 68.97%
No way to tell if ie a native LA actor is performing on NYC streets vs a native NYC actor 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 08:22 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,949,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
What georgia needs to be doing is establishing actual film studios and television studios near their beautiful coastline , southern california is gorgeous and there is nothing like california, and but it is so expensive to live and so crowded, manhattan is another ridiculously expensive place to live, would be great if more original productions came from a place that was more affordable to live. Just watch out for the koch brothers and their campaign against tax incentives, look at what happened to north carolina after that group prosperity for america campaigned and nc legislature ended them.

North carolina film industry was booming before the legislature ended the tax breaks and now it is a shell of its former self
The proposed Moon River Studios just outside of Savannah will be one of the largest film production complexes in the nation ... if it becomes reality. The project has had trouble getting off the ground but has some impressive names associated with it. The Savannah College of Art and Design -- the nation's largest and most prestigious private arts university -- has a booming film and television program with ties to Steven Spielberg. They recently established their own film studio in Savannah as well.

Moon River Studios

Savannah's Meddin Studios sold to SCAD | Savannahnow.com Mobile

Georgia's entertainment industry has VERY strong support in the Republican-controlled legislature and in the Governor's Mansion. There was talk of expanding elements of Georgia's incentive program, but the collapse of the industry in North Carolina (and fears of its demise in Louisana) have postponed that. Georgia has essentially won that battle.

It is now become clear that there's much more than just tax incentives driving business to the state. Georgia's film and TV history actually dates back to the 1970s with hundreds of projects to its credit. The presence of Turner Broadcasting, Tyler Perry and others meant there was experienced crew base and facilities here long before the tax incentives even came about. In other words, Georgia already had a foundation for the industry to build on and that's what's really driving the growth now.

Just for example: London's Pinewood Studios chose Georgia to build their first U.S. production facility -- not New York or California. When completed, the 700-acre studio site south of Atlanta will house 27 sound stages, 2 million square feet of support buildings, a backlot complete with NYC and Parisian street scenes, natural wooded areas complete with lakes and streams, and a "movie village" of homes, lofts, hotels, shops and restaurants. There will be nothing else like it anywhere else in the nation -- including California, where studio facilitiess are aging and going empty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 09:52 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,797,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
^^^ That is NOT what I said at all. I said that Los Angeles is not the only city where TV shows and movies are filmed yet SET in other places. As I understand it, that is the subject of this thread: Which city is better at portraying the OTHER city: NYC as LA, or LA as NYC.

I was only pointing out that many TV shows and movies with stories SET in LA and NYC are now filmed in Atlanta. "Los Angeles no longer holds exclusive rights to this little trick of the entertainment industry" = LA is no longer the only city that PRETENDS to be other places on film and TV.

Atlanta plays both NYC and LA often and quite convincingly -- and most viewers don't even realize it.
My apologies.

Yes, there are cities that sometimes serve as other cities besides Los Angeles and NYC. I'm sure lots of people know that. In saying that, this thread is asking about L.A. and NYC, not other cities. And now that I'm thinking about it, I've never seen anything where NYC was a "stand-in" for Los Angeles. It's usually just the other way around.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:53 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,765,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The proposed Moon River Studios just outside of Savannah will be one of the largest film production complexes in the nation ... if it becomes reality. The project has had trouble getting off the ground but has some impressive names associated with it. The Savannah College of Art and Design -- the nation's largest and most prestigious private arts university -- has a booming film and television program with ties to Steven Spielberg. They recently established their own film studio in Savannah as well.

Moon River Studios

Savannah's Meddin Studios sold to SCAD | Savannahnow.com Mobile

Georgia's entertainment industry has VERY strong support in the Republican-controlled legislature and in the Governor's Mansion. There was talk of expanding elements of Georgia's incentive program, but the collapse of the industry in North Carolina (and fears of its demise in Louisana) have postponed that. Georgia has essentially won that battle.

It is now become clear that there's much more than just tax incentives driving business to the state. Georgia's film and TV history actually dates back to the 1970s with hundreds of projects to its credit. The presence of Turner Broadcasting, Tyler Perry and others meant there was experienced crew base and facilities here long before the tax incentives even came about. In other words, Georgia already had a foundation for the industry to build on and that's what's really driving the growth now.

Just for example: London's Pinewood Studios chose Georgia to build their first U.S. production facility -- not New York or California. When completed, the 700-acre studio site south of Atlanta will house 27 sound stages, 2 million square feet of support buildings, a backlot complete with NYC and Parisian street scenes, natural wooded areas complete with lakes and streams, and a "movie village" of homes, lofts, hotels, shops and restaurants. There will be nothing else like it anywhere else in the nation -- including California, where studio facilitiess are aging and going empty.
I don't completely disagree with you in regards to the industry. Georgia is definitely taking a big slice of the pie recently. Do I think it will ever surpass LA? No. The industry is just diversifying. Plus California is really starting to catch on and offer its first round of tax credits, which has already shown results with big tv shows returning. This will only continue, as California has the infrastructure for the industry and just needs the appeal again.

Also, those back lots you mentioned are nothing unique. Maybe for Georgia, but have you seen some of the backlots in the LA studios? Ive been on a few tours and it really is extensive and impressive.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:07 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,996,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
I don't completely disagree with you in regards to the industry. Georgia is definitely taking a big slice of the pie recently. Do I think it will ever surpass LA? No. The industry is just diversifying. Plus California is really starting to catch on and offer its first round of tax credits, which has already shown results with big tv shows returning. This will only continue, as California has the infrastructure for the industry and just needs the appeal again.

Also, those back lots you mentioned are nothing unique. Maybe for Georgia, but have you seen some of the backlots in the LA studios? Ive been on a few tours and it really is extensive and impressive.
This...The movie/TV industry is diversifying and getting even bigger as more content becomes available online. ATL is becoming one of the leaders of TV/Film and should be commended for it. That being said, they will probably never catch LA because the industry is evolving and going beyond traditional forms of media.

I would think that ATL would want to go after new media like LA is right now. BuzzFeed, Amazon, Netflix, Maker Studios, etc. Silicon Beach and Hollywood are merging. We haven't even seen the affects of the film and tv tax credit which just started. Over 200 project signed up for it which indicated the industries desires to keep filming in CA. We shall see though, I'm sure it's tough for the families of the crews that have to switch locations constantly.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post

Oh of course, the Hollywood backlots are historic and stuff of legend. Up until now, however, there's never been a need for any permanent backlots in Atlanta. Tyler Perry has a small one (buiilding a much larger one) and others have been built for temporary productions. But as the number of scripted TV series and feature films being shot in the Atlanta region grows, the benefits of secure on-studio backlots is being recognized. It's getting harder and harder to find suitable locations to film a lot of this stuff.

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-08-2015 at 11:50 PM..

Old 08-08-2015, 11:10 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,717,233 times
LA is the classic movie making machine, so I'll go with LA

Old 08-08-2015, 11:47 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,720,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
And now that I'm thinking about it, I've never seen anything where NYC was a "stand-in" for Los Angeles. It's usually just the other way around.
Its much more expensive to film in NY, so there is no reason to use NY as a set for any other city, you better off just going to that other city instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Top 5 things I notice that clue me in that the movie I'm watching that's set in NYC was actually filmed here:

1. Orange or Red Metro buses in the background

2. California-style red painted curbs

3. Ficus or Palm trees (production teams usually keep palms out of the shots but always let ficuses slip through for some reason)

4. I recognize a street/building/landmark as something in my neighborhood

5. I remember seeing the scene being filmed 6-12 months prior
People living in NYC know the neighborhoods and streets, so its kind of self-evident when they are shooting somewhere else. I am pretty sure the movies are made for the broader American audience anyway. As long as they can fool everyone else on how stereotypical NYC looks like in the movies, they've done their job.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:13 AM

Quote:
My apologies.

Yes, there are cities that sometimes serve as other cities besides Los Angeles and NYC. I'm sure lots of people know that. In saying that, this thread is asking about L.A. and NYC, not other cities. And now that I'm thinking about it, I've never seen anything where NYC was a "stand-in" for Los Angeles. It's usually just the other way around.
No problem. And my point was simply that I can think of MULTIPLE projects where Atlanta was a "stand-in" for both LA and NYC, which helps explain (in part) why the industry is doing so well in Atlanta right now. Numerous directors and producers have stated that it's much easier to make Atlanta look like anywhere than it is to make LA or NYC look like anywhere.

Last edited by Newsboy; 08-09-2015 at 12:47 AM..

Old 08-09-2015, 12:24 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,452,712 times
Quote:
My apologies.

Exactly why L.A. wins this. When you film in NYC it's usually a movie based in/about NY. Whereas L.A. is known for their stand-in NY/other city sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Its much more expensive to film in NY, so there is no reason to use NY as a set for any other city, you better off just going to that other city instead.
This!

I mostly keep up with movies filmed at Steiner Studios in Brooklyn. Everything (mostly) from that studio was about NYC in some form. Sex in the City, Men in Black, Wolf of Wall Street, etc Not sure about Silvercup and the other studios around the city.

Lastly though I rather like that NY isn't a stand-in for any other city. We just don't have the "streets" of other cities in America. It wouldn't be believable UNLESS the city was vibrant/dense. Or in the backlot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City