Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Francisco becoming more Influential than Los Angeles?
San Franciso is Becoming more Influential Globally 72 37.89%
Los Angeles is Still more Influential Globally 118 62.11%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 03:13 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,119,103 times

Advertisements

Mr. Kobe, if you came back to read your posts in 10-15 years (if they still exist of course), I am pretty sure that you will [hopefully] find them pretty silly. That's why I asked the over/under on your age, because some of the things that you think are important or relevant to certain threads are things I probably thought were important when I was in 6th or 7th grade. And then there are the strange diss/rant posts..

Old 08-12-2015, 04:39 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,203,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I don't think most people would dispute the fact that the "Bay Area" is the corporate king of California these days. Some of SoCal's biggest HQ'd companies have been bought up (or moved) in the last 20 years, and the new companies just haven't taken their place fast enough. Unocal (bought), Security Pacific Bank (bought), First Interstate Bank (bought), Occidental Petroleum (moved), DirecTV (bought), Allergan (bought), Northrop (moved), Lockheed (moved), etc etc.

Yes, Amgen, AECom, and others have risen, as have start-ups such as SpaceX and SnapChat, but from a corporate perspective, it's not even really close.

And yet, L.A. is still a powerhouse in Trade, Manufacturing, Education, Entertainment, Media, and all sorts of other stuff. The L.A. GDP has grown significantly, and property prices (while not at Bay Area levels) are up significantly. L.A. has some significant structural strengths that could (I emphasis COULD) be advantageous down the road -- excellent universities, huge trade infrastructure (ports, airports, trains, warehousing/distribution), huge transit investments, and a large amount of land to repurpose for different uses (similar to what is going on in downtown, Hollywood, and other places).

So many people have written L.A.'s epitaph in the last couple of decades, but the city/metro keeps getting better -- better air, less crime, better transit, more walkability, denser development. LA has reinvented itself in the past, and will continue to do so moving forward.

There is also a growing link between Tech and Hollywood that I think will help boost LA.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:47 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,681,023 times
Radical,i was just having fun earlier.

Qworld, when did i say Los Angeles was the greatest ? Me & a couple others were trying to stop the fool from San Francisco on his L.A bashing, Even a few New yorkers was at him on his nonsense.But However i still do think California is the greatest place so take what i say with a grain of salt & have some humor.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:50 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,553,213 times
Californians gonna be Californians.

Old 08-12-2015, 04:56 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,681,023 times
Lol your funny i swear

Old 08-12-2015, 06:00 PM

36,699 posts, read 67,735,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Radical,i was just having fun earlier.

Qworld, when did i say Los Angeles was the greatest ? Me & a couple others were trying to stop the fool from San Francisco on his L.A bashing, Even a few New yorkers was at him on his nonsense.But However i still do think California is the greatest place so take what i say with a grain of salt & have some humor.
Oh Kobe, you seem to have come undone.

Anyway, you are clearly confused about the point of this thread:
Silicon Valley goes after Wall Street in financial services technology

In what ways is Los Angeles posing a threat to NY's dominance in industry?

Old 08-12-2015, 06:15 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,600,209 times
You guys haven't surpassed us in one area

#3gamesback

Old 08-12-2015, 06:43 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,198,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
You guys haven't surpassed us in one area

#3gamesback
Lol, shots fired. Problem is, they're still the champs and you guys haven't won anything in nearly 30 years.

#westcoastbaseballlol

Old 08-12-2015, 11:04 PM

984 posts, read 1,320,340 times
L.A. is still the bigger economy and twice the size of the Bay Area but the gap is closing.

SF's international economic recognition has been rising substantially while L.A.'s has not at all.
SF does however have a higher quality of life and urban reputation than L.A. in basically every department.

L.A. has huge international reputation due to Hollywood but unlike San Francisco, it's not a particularly good one.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:57 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,804,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Again, you don't make sense. If you're gonna troll and talk ***t, at least be coherent. And no one's following you, especially "in their emotions" (the ***k does that even mean?). You just keep trying to ruin the most popular threads on here with your idiotic commentary.

Regular poster: I don't like the way the poll is worded as both cities are globally influential, with L.A. having a slight edge as of now. SF might overtake L.A. soon, though.

You: L.A. rulez! SF is L.A.s loser older brother! NYC sucks! Eastcoasters are haterz! I'm rriigth!

So yea, the problem is YOU, and we're calling you out until your inevitable banishment. If you could put forth a coherent argument as to why you think L.A. is the greatest thing since sliced bread, people might start taking you seriously.

My thoughts exactly.
Why all the swearing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City