Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: San Francisco becoming more Influential than Los Angeles?
San Franciso is Becoming more Influential Globally 72 37.89%
Los Angeles is Still more Influential Globally 118 62.11%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 01:24 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,441,284 times

Advertisements

You really dont get it.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:32 PM

414 posts, read 509,287 times
Dear Bay Area:

We understand your undying hatred for LA. Us San Diegans have a good share of misgivings when it comes to our big brother up north. However, please do not think that the recent tech boom of the past 15 years suddenly means you are driving growth in CA or are somehow leading the West. In fact, San Diego grew at a faster rate than the Bay Area and all other major CA cities in the past few years thanks to biotech, IT, etc. job growth. Does that suddenly make us the incubator of growth in SoCal? No. Similarly, your recent economic success based on a single industry does not make you our state's savior?

LA is much more than tech, while the Bay Area is too expensive to be anything BUT tech. Eventually these companies will head for greener (and cheaper) pastures in LA, TX, and abroad. Enjoy the high life now, because I imagine a whole world of hurt once the tech companies cash out of the bay.

Sincerely,

Your SoCal neighbors who you don't hate

Last edited by Julianpieohmy; 10-25-2015 at 01:59 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 01:35 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,986,026 times
Dear San Francisco Bay Area,

I love you.

Sincerely,

- RJ

Old 10-25-2015, 01:35 PM

LOL..

Thank you.

The LA hatred is so old and boring. They say the same things over and over again.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:39 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,596,920 times
God, I actually like the Bay Area and am considering moving back there. I don't get why the overboosting of the place.

And for people here who want either LA or the Bay Area to collapse, you're ******* sick. Go outside and enjoy your day.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:43 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
understood and the same dynamic plays out everywhere else as well... SF is by no means alone with disparity by zip, actually probably less so compared to others on the list
lol what are you talking about? Obviously not, hence the list..

That list criteria is a pretty bad way of gauging the income levels of an area anyway.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:47 PM

36,666 posts, read 67,609,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
You really dont get it.
Actually you clearly are in a strange state of denial. Good thing your newspaper isnt.

This is from yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Times

...What happened to Southern California?

Put simply, Los Angeles' business class, its movers and shakers, were too conservative, too backward looking in their goals and their style to recognize and nurture what would become the new economy...

...In the end, there is no single explanation for L.A.'s long fall from economic grace. It is a story of good intentions and mistaken beliefs, of fragmented business relationships and out-of-date ideas...
Quote:
Originally Posted by julianpieohmy
Eventually these companies will head for greener (and cheaper) pastures in LA, TX, and abroad.
Ironic since it's LA that cant seem to stop bleeding entire industries, let alone corporate headquarters, high paying jobs, educated people etc.

Quote:
LA is much more than tech...
Unfortunately, over the past 40 years, what LA has 'gained' has been mainly low skill, low paying jobs-meanwhile SF has expanded it's lead in finance, has taken over as the automotive industry hotbed of the state, has taken off as a major media hub and is now also huge in energy, telecommunications, etc.

This is well documented in the LA Times article posted yesterday.

Quote:

Us San Diegans have a good share of misgivings when it comes to our big brother up north. However, please do not think that the recent tech boom of the past 15 years suddenly means you are driving growth in CA or are somehow leading the West.
Not only do we lead the west, we OWN the west.

It's not El Niño that's changing your weather, actually the rest of you are feeling the effects of being in the Bay Area's shadow.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:52 PM

I'm just curious....do these things effect your life? At the end of the day, I'm guessing all the stuff you spew means nothing.
You said we own as in you Montclair18, actually own something significant.

Maybe you do, but I doubt that type of person spends alot of time on city data.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:56 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,765,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually you clearly are in a strange state of denial. Good thing your newspaper isnt.

This is from yesterday.

Ironic since it's LA that cant seem to stop bleeding entire industries, let alone corporate headquarters, high paying jobs, educated people etc.

Unfortunately, over the past 40 years, what LA has 'gained' has been mainly low skill, low paying jobs-meanwhile SF has expanded it's lead in finance, has taken over as the automotive industry hotbed of the state, has taken off as a major media hub and is now also huge in energy, telecommunications, etc.

This is well documented in the LA Times article posted yesterday.

Not only do we lead the west, we OWN the west.

It's not El Niño that's changing your weather, actually the rest of you are feeling the effects of being in the Bay Area's shadow.
And sadly, even as exaggerated and pompous as these claims are, it's still not enough. But enjoy it while it lasts.

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2015/...e-rent/410620/

^this is not a harbinger of sustainability. You're boom will even out, disperse, and while the Bay will still be the worlds leader in tech, it won't put it over LA.

Get over it already.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:06 PM

36,666 posts, read 67,609,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy K View Post
I'm just curious....do these things effect your life? At the end of the day, I'm guessing all the stuff you spew means nothing.
You said we own as in you Montclair18, actually own something significant.

Maybe you do, but I doubt that type of person spends alot of time on city data.
Haha this thread is not about me hun. You look weak by trying yo go personal. fyi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City