Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2018, 07:07 PM

7,780 posts, read 10,223,990 times

Advertisements

Oops I was too slow. Well Binghamton doesnt win by as much but it still wins for the reason I stated already.

Grand Rapids, MI vs Omaha, NE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 08:04 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,234,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Oops I was too slow. Well Binghamton doesnt win by as much but it still wins for the reason I stated already.

Grand Rapids, MI vs Omaha, NE
Grand Rapids, MI

Both are under-rated IMO. Grand Rapids has one of the better economies among Michigan cities. It is in a more scenic, desirable region than Omaha IMO (Great Lakes vs Great Plains). Both are about the same distance from people I know in MN and WI.

Asheville, NC or Wilmington, NC?

Old 05-16-2018, 08:20 PM

14,367 posts, read 9,270,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Grand Rapids, MI

Both are under-rated IMO. Grand Rapids has one of the better economies among Michigan cities. It is in a more scenic, desirable region than Omaha IMO (Great Lakes vs Great Plains). Both are about the same distance from people I know in MN and WI.

Asheville, NC or Wilmington, NC?
Asheville, because mountains. Besides, I met the sweetest businesswoman I've met yet a while back, and she hails from there; she met a Pennsylvanian who was traveling in the area and passed through her shop; the guy fell in love with her and invited her up north, using the northwest Philly neighborhood of Chestnut Hill as bait. She fell in love with both and now owns a home decor shop on Germantown Avenue at the top of the hill.

The Great Plains have their own scenery and beauty. It seems to me, though, that you only appreciate it if you're from that part of the country. I grew up 200 miles downriver from Omaha.

Portland, Ore., or Portland, Me.?

Old 05-17-2018, 04:44 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,234,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Asheville, because mountains. Besides, I met the sweetest businesswoman I've met yet a while back, and she hails from there; she met a Pennsylvanian who was traveling in the area and passed through her shop; the guy fell in love with her and invited her up north, using the northwest Philly neighborhood of Chestnut Hill as bait. She fell in love with both and now owns a home decor shop on Germantown Avenue at the top of the hill.

The Great Plains have their own scenery and beauty. It seems to me, though, that you only appreciate it if you're from that part of the country. I grew up 200 miles downriver from Omaha.

Portland, Ore., or Portland, Me.?
Agree with you about the Great Plains. I was fortunate to have access to both from Minnesota/Twin Cities area as a child (drive not too far southwest through GP prairies en route to Black Hills, SD on one family trip; or drive not too far northeast to Lake Superior; family did a trip there, too).

Portland, OR

Both cities have their plusses and both are beautiful areas. Portland, OR is a larger city/metro. Could take short direct flights to visit people I know in California (and vica versa). Driving is also an option. From Maine, it is much more difficult. Large park system in Portland, OR. Food and entertainment options are more plentiful & diverse and there are more craft breweries. Probably a more diverse economy, too. (However, I've read good things about Portland, ME seafood and am sure there is less traffic!).

Fort Lauderdale, FL or Fort Worth, TX?

Last edited by chessgeek; 05-17-2018 at 05:20 PM..

Old 05-17-2018, 06:31 PM

9,740 posts, read 9,529,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
Agree with you about the Great Plains. I was fortunate to have access to both from Minnesota/Twin Cities area as a child (drive not too far southwest through GP prairies en route to Black Hills, SD on one family trip; or drive not too far northeast to Lake Superior; family did a trip there, too).

Portland, OR

Both cities have their plusses and both are beautiful areas. Portland, OR is a larger city/metro. Could take short direct flights to visit people I know in California (and vica versa). Driving is also an option. From Maine, it is much more difficult. Large park system in Portland, OR. Food and entertainment options are more plentiful & diverse and there are more craft breweries. Probably a more diverse economy, too. (However, I've read good things about Portland, ME seafood and am sure there is less traffic!).

Fort Lauderdale, FL or Fort Worth, TX?
Tough again. Hmmm..I would choose Ft. Lauderdale for it's accessibility and leisurely persona. I have family and friends in the Ft. Worth area and plan to get back to visit this fall.

San Francisco, CA or Philadelphia, PA?

Old 05-17-2018, 06:36 PM

23,586 posts, read 44,333,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Tough again. Hmmm..I would choose Ft. Lauderdale for it's accessibility and leisurely persona. I have family and friends in the Ft. Worth area and plan to get back to visit this fall.

San Francisco, CA or Philadelphia, PA?
Philadelphia. San Francisco is over IMO.

Cleveland, OH or Buffalo, NY?

Old 05-18-2018, 09:53 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,210,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Philadelphia. San Francisco is over IMO.

Cleveland, OH or Buffalo, NY?
Buffalo! I wouldn't have to travel to see my girls play for the Buffalo Beauts one day! Plus it's a closer drive to Toronto.

Des Moines or Omaha?

Old 05-18-2018, 12:48 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,919,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Buffalo! I wouldn't have to travel to see my girls play for the Buffalo Beauts one day! Plus it's a closer drive to Toronto.

Des Moines or Omaha?
Omaha... bigger city/metro and 2 hours closer to family in Colorado.

Tallahassee, FL or Baton Rouge, LA?

Old 05-18-2018, 08:32 PM

14,367 posts, read 9,270,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Omaha... bigger city/metro and 2 hours closer to family in Colorado.

Tallahassee, FL or Baton Rouge, LA?
Baton Rouge. Cooler state capital building (only skyscraper state capital in the US, one of Huey Long's Depression-era edifices), more colorful politics (though nobody there now is quite on the level of the Kingfish), better food, New Orleans just an hour away in one direction and Lafayette about an hour in the other.

Columbia, Mo., or Columbia, S.C.?

Old 05-20-2018, 05:32 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,424,795 times
Columbia SC , state capital and near the ocean and milder temperatures

San Angelo, TX or Castle Rock, CO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City