Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 04:58 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,100,389 times

Advertisements

I notice a lot of Old School Hip Hop stations have also had to add "Throwback R&B" just to survive. Otherwise, they'd just keep playing the same 5 or 6 rap songs every two hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 05:28 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,100,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Bruh, Remy came with some heat. We ain't heard MAINSTREAM rap beef like this since..... what? Gucci and Jeezy maybe? I told people when that "back to back" radio hit came out that it don't compare to a REAL diss track like this one.
Meh. It was average at best. She had one of the greatest diss track beats of all time with "Ether" and couldn't even do it justice. She was all off beat and her lyrics were pretty average. She wasted a great beat, if you ask me.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:15 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,750,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Meh. It was average at best. She had one of the greatest diss track beats of all time with "Ether" and couldn't even do it justice. She was all off beat and her lyrics were pretty average. She wasted a great beat, if you ask me.
These are pretty average lyrics to you

"But you point the fingers at me, I'm the bad girl? And she the one out here misleading the black girls."

"All these fake asses influenced by that girl? Dying from botched surgeries, what a sad world."

"But before the butt-job you was a Spongebob, sucking **** for records captain of the *** squad."

"And I got a few words for the moms of the young Barbs, guess supports a child molester? Nicki Minaj."

"Yeah you paid for your brothers wedding that's hella foul, how you spend money to support a pedophile?"

Or that 360 deal line

Old 02-28-2017, 07:46 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I notice a lot of Old School Hip Hop stations have also had to add "Throwback R&B" just to survive. Otherwise, they'd just keep playing the same 5 or 6 rap songs every two hours.
A lot of them are really "Old School" and R&B stations. It may be a matter of how far back they go in terms of Old School Hip Hop too. Are they playing Gang Starr, BDP, Leaders of the New School, Lords of the Underground, Whodini, etc...? There are actually plenty of options.

Old 02-28-2017, 03:01 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
A lot of them are really "Old School" and R&B stations. It may be a matter of how far back they go in terms of Old School Hip Hop too. Are they playing Gang Starr, BDP, Leaders of the New School, Lords of the Underground, Whodini, etc...? There are actually plenty of options.
If you're going to have an old school hip hop station, than anything from 1978-1999 is fair game. If you only keep it on one era, such as the 80s or just the 90s, it's bound to fail. So whodini and Run DMC along with Nas and Outkast. TBH, the early 2000s (meaning 2000-2003) is creeping up on the old school designation.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:03 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,884,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
IMO we havent heard a diss track like this since Ether. Thing is you have diss tracks that are mostly violent rants (Hit'em Up Gucci/Jeezy beef) or diss tracks that have a few cute lines (Back to Back) but very few diss tracks hit below the belt with the truth over and over and over. At the 3 min mark on this track she had already beaten a dead horse and she still had another 3 mins left in the song . Plus the BARS she spit are the truth or at least most people believe they are true (ass implants, her brother, ghostwriting, etc). Yes this is a real diss track with straight bars. This track might be in the top 5 diss tracks of all time as far as spitting straight bars. Hit'em up which is the #1 diss track of all time IMO is mostly a rant. This is definitely up there with Takeover, Ether and No Vaseline. This is good for Hip Hop. A lot of kids in this generation dont know what a real diss track sounds like. My friend said her daughter said "Why are these new rappers trying to diss Nicki?" She asked her who she was talking about and she said Remy Ma (These kids dont know nothing ). Hopefully this record will get the youth to go back and listen to real hip hop and see what real battling is.
No Vaseline is my all time favorite diss track. Hit Em Up is my #2. But listening to some of Eminem's diss tracks, they were just as brutal. I forgot all about Em's crazy A$s who probably made more diss tracks than anybody.

I haven't even listened to Nicki's diss track yet, but I hope she come better than I expect her to. Cause I haven't heard nothing too impressive from Nicki in quite a while.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,569 times
I know I'm late to the party, but I gotta give a shout out to Utah's Beat on U92 in Salt Lake City!

By no stretch is it the best station. But it's a much better hip-hop station that we deserve, and not nearly as white bread as you'd expect. Legend goes they back in 2008, U92 discovered and played Bone Thugs and Harmony's "I Tried" before any other station in the United States.

In a town that's nauseatingly homogeneous, it's great to hear a station that has minorities as DJs, a diverse listener base, and phattest beats in the 801.

Old 03-09-2017, 04:36 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,558 times
Atlanta, Houston, LA, NYC.

Old 03-09-2017, 05:52 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
102 Jamz is/was one of the first true to the game hip hop stations to make waves in the south during its entrance to the marketplace in the late 80s. It was one of the first stations to feature on-air prime time NYC style hip hop mixes in the south in the 80s, early 90s. Note I said primetime because many stations would not play a lot of rap/hip hop during primetime back then.

They played it all ranging from East/West coast hip hop, DC go-go, Midwest house music, they literally covered the spectrum. All day, every day and not just the typical mainstream rap/hip hop. No quiet storm, no gospel, it is/was truly the real deal since the 80s.

Some stations would give short hip hop mix teasers, lots of commercials/talk, generic or feature play hip hop...not 102 Jamz. What is amazing is that the station continued to adapt as the South became hip hop central with ATL, Memphis, New Orleans, Miami, Houston etc...it was still hard hitting and in your face style.

Many stations I've listened to from ATL, DC, NYC, Houston, Dallas, Memphis, etc offered some raw regional hip hop but nothing like 102 Jamz. I am sure that has changed now. I don't listen to as much hip hop (or whatever they call it) these days but 102 Jamz was definitely a trendsetter and not sure why other stations never followed that format.
If I'm not mistaken, 102 Jamz did have a Gospel segment on Sunday mornings in the 90s.

And it didn't play gritty hip-hop. Only chart hits. I remember it wasn't until DJ Prostyle and Nasty had their weekly segment to where you heard Reggae and Tri State Hip-hop. And that wasn't until the late 90s.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:13 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,676,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
I can't believe this many people still listen to terrestrial radio.
Lol

More people listen to terrestrial radio than Sirius/XM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City