Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 09:12 AM

574 posts, read 690,649 times

Advertisements

IMO, LA gets shorted on the wealth statistics. I'm going to do a little digging myself for this info, but I'm sure there are many wealthy people with second/vacation homes in LA that don't get counted in the wealth statistics. Secondly, prestige is high status, and high status can be either social or professional. LA has a higher social status and SF has higher professional status. It really comes down to ones personal view of prestige. Is social status more important than professional status or vice versa? Are celebrities, who are God like to many people, more prestigious than the rich tech and finance people?

Old 11-08-2015, 10:25 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,440,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i'm an east coaster so i have no idea where cal-tech/stanford are in relation to la or san fran.
cal tech seems to be the mit of the west coast. and stanford seems to be the duke blue devils of the west coast since they are good at basketball/football as well as academics.

also, thousands of hours of silly cat videos and millions of followers of obnoxious celebrity tweets is not prestigious.

Lol somehow Hollywood has transformed into cat videos and tweets and nothing else.
This forum is nuts.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:35 AM

366 posts, read 405,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
no offense meant; some of my favorite muzik and moo-vees come from those time periods and areas so i think oi them with that nostalgia.
It's cool, it's my mistake actually as I though you might have been replying to me.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:44 AM

366 posts, read 405,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
IMO, LA gets shorted on the wealth statistics. I'm going to do a little digging myself for this info, but I'm sure there are many wealthy people with second/vacation homes in LA that don't get counted in the wealth statistics. Secondly, prestige is high status, and high status can be either social or professional. LA has a higher social status and SF has higher professional status. It really comes down to ones personal view of prestige. Is social status more important than professional status or vice versa? Are celebrities, who are God like to many people, more prestigious than the rich tech and finance people?
Well I don't really care deeply about the answer to that question or anything and doesn't matter to me if people pick one or the other. But I find the bolded part to be pretty pathetic though. Not to say I feel much better about people who keep track of tech billionaires living close to their city...

Old 11-08-2015, 11:24 AM

1,780 posts, read 1,764,752 times
Oh you guys are funny.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...ge/0/length/25

Also, why are we using Kim K as the face of an entire industry? I get that she's a good scapegoat to make arguments about the industry being less prestigious, but did you all forget about studio executives, producers, media moguls, etc?

Kim K ain't the only one living in these affluent areas of Los Angeles.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:31 AM

317 posts, read 378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Oh you guys are funny.

Also, why are we using Kim K as the face of an entire industry? I get that she's a good scapegoat to make arguments about the industry being less prestigious, but did you all forget about studio executives, producers, media moguls, etc?

Maybe because that's the stuff nobody cares about?

If we are going that route, why are the rich tech geeks in SF a bad argument then? You can't have it both ways, sorry.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:31 AM

37,208 posts, read 39,488,121 times
Honestly surprised that DC wasn't the number one pick overall in the poll.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:34 AM

4,156 posts, read 5,569,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
disagree. Cal Tech is a fraction of the size as the other top engineering schools and still is less prestigious.

Best Undergraduate Engineering Schools | Top Undergraduate Engineering Programs | US News Best Colleges
That is a link. Here's another.

Correct in that MIT graduates 5x the number of students. Which makes Cal Tech's per capita academic distinction all the more staggering. If you know nothing else about two people other than one went to Cal Tech and the other MIT, you will also know the former has a much higher likelihood of having won a Nobel prize.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:47 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,440,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Oh you guys are funny.

Because they dont know what they're talking about. The Kim K thing is just a lazy way to justify bad opinions.

Montclair understands Hollywood like most people understand rocket science. He proves time and time again he has zero knowledge of anything.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:11 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,530,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
That is a link. Here's another.

Correct in that MIT graduates 5x the number of students. Which makes Cal Tech's per capita academic distinction all the more staggering. If you know nothing else about two people other than one went to Cal Tech and the other MIT, you will also know the former has a much higher likelihood of having won a Nobel prize.
right... Well you and that website based in London are the only ones who think Cal Tech is the best University in the world. In the United States, the US News and World Report is basically the definitive ranking. Stanford accepts only 5.5% of applicants. Cal Tech? 8.8%. There are a handful of other schools in the US that are more rounded and more prestigious schools. Cal Tech's claim to fame is 33 Nobel Prize winners. So what? Those 33 people outweigh thousands upon thousands of other world class researchers? I think not.

Here is another ranking from London that uses the same methodology, but just for cities a whole: http://www.topuniversities.com/city-...r=desc+search=

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 11-08-2015 at 12:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City