Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 02:13 PM

36,664 posts, read 67,579,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't say LA is "nothing but reality TV stars." I said that money and fame aren't necessarily the same thing as prestige.

The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to put DC on the top of my list due to it being the home of some our most prominent institutions. Then I'd say San Francisco, Los Angeles, and then Chicago.
And like SF, DC makes a much stronger case than LA.

It's not even close imo. LA has its strengths but not one of thrm have really been pointed to in this thread beyond expensive estates and Kim Kardashian.

Which means LA has a weak case.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:15 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
The most prestigious colleges/universities can be answered somewhat objectively. Here are cross-admit comparisons.

Stanford vs Caltech - 68% choose Stanford
Stanford vs UCLA - 93% choose Stanford
Stanford vs USC - 89% choose Stanford

Berkeley vs Caltech - 79% choose Caltech
Berkeley vs USC - 67% choose Berkeley
Berkeley vs UCLA - 58% choose Berkeley

Compare Colleges: Side-by-side college comparisons | Parchment - College admissions predictions.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
And what do those institutions have over D.C.?
Nothing dear, but Im talking about LA.

DC would be more difficult for SF but LA is a walk in the park, on a sunny day.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:17 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,645,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Dont worry about that. SF is taking media away from you too.

Any disputes can be forwarded to the Los Angeles Times.
You're so right. HBO holding two events in San Francisco is equivalent to Hollywood and the entire media industry picking up and moving to the Bay Area.

I wish you could hear how crazy you sound.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:19 PM

41 posts, read 42,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
You're so right. HBO holding two events in San Francisco is equivalent to Hollywood and the entire media industry picking up and moving to the Bay Area.

LOL, San Franciscans just aren't used to seeing beautiful, and glamorous people so of course they'd go nuts with that event and are overly-flattered their city was noticed. Poor, deprived things.

Let them have the crumbs.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:20 PM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
Quote:

Is entertainment a prestigious industry?

Old 08-26-2015, 02:22 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,645,202 times
Quote:
I suppose that's open for debate. But apparently 18Montclair thinks so, since he linked to that HBO article as evidence of San Francisco's prestige.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:24 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,978,604 times
The reason that the San Francisco Bay Area and the Washington DC-Baltimore Metroplex area match up well is because each exist in their own orbit that doesn't necessarily compete in the same vacuum as the other. For example, the world's most prominent tech conference that draws most of the world's most important investors wont ever be held in the District of Columbia, likewise, the foreign policy decisions and contracts that are conversed and converged that affect diplomatic relations with world powers wont be held in San Francisco. The two areas match up well with one another, despite competing in different atmospheres.

The San Francisco Bay Area is as much a corporate powerhouse as Washington DC-Baltimore Metroplex is a governmental/political/defense powerhouse. This is not to say that the Washington DC-Baltimore region is devoid of corporate presense, it has a respectable-to-large corporate base with prominent corporations itself. Likewise it is not to say that the San Francisco Bay Area is devoid of a public sector, with the educational institutions, biotechnology industry, and other government related industries present it has a respectable reach in that space.

So where one stands atop the public sector, the other does likewise the private sector. Both overlap in well educated populations, affluent environments, and similar growth rates and trajectories (in addition to rapid ascendance) during the same time period while being on the opposite ends of the country.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:30 PM

574 posts, read 690,485 times
Quote:
Do entertainers have high status?

Old 08-26-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:

I thought I made it clear to you that any disputes should be forwarded to the Los Angeles Times?

Anyway, its a well known fact to many that the Bay Area has emerged as a major media hub, your local newspaper is simply reaffirming that.

In 2015, all roads lead to the promised land of tech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City