Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most prestigious
Los Angeles 114 44.36%
Chicago 39 15.18%
Washington, DC 44 17.12%
San Francisco 60 23.35%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 05:52 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,581,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
disagree. Cal Tech is a fraction of the size as the other top engineering schools and still is less prestigious.

Best Undergraduate Engineering Schools | Top Undergraduate Engineering Programs | US News Best Colleges

Stanley wasn't it you that said you had never heard of UPenn before? lol.. my bad if it wasn't, it was someone from the Mass area.
i remember that thread it was someone else. i just said i understood that a regular person got it confused with penn-state.

Old 11-08-2015, 05:55 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,995,274 times
Quote:
oh no thats pretty cool. 4,000 employees is quite a lot for a company like that. Doesn't LA have a lot of aerospace industry jobs? I agree with you that is something to focus on.
yes, its between us an houston. LA is also front and center went it comes to drone technology. LA Is also the king of Virtual reality systems which is going to play a huge part of the future of innovation.

but please keep referring the kardasians who get paid because the rest of the country is interested in watching them.

And from this 2014 report from engineering.com of cities with the most engineers. LA is second next to Houston.

Edit: I just have to say, this is why from an LA perceptive prestige means nothing, because we are going to get hated on regardless of what we produce. LA would rather not rub it in peoples faces how great we are until someone tries to try us. It's kind of like a conversation I had with one person who claimed that SF had a better sporting culture than LA. (not trying to start a whole new topic) is cheering more important or is producing players more important? I guess it depends on how much you care about letting everybody know about how great you are. hopefully people get that analogy.

Last edited by jamills21; 11-08-2015 at 06:14 PM..

Old 11-08-2015, 06:13 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,527,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
yes, its between us an houston. LA is also front and center went it comes to drone technology. LA Is also the king of Virtual reality systems which is going to play a huge part of the future of innovation.

but please keep referring the kardasians who get paid because the rest of the country is interested in watching them.

And from this 2014 report from engineering.com of cities with the most engineers. LA is second next to Houston.
Idk why you are getting salty with me. I was not the one that suggested that Hollywood was the driving force behind LA's prestige. I was just trying to point out why it is ludicrous to claim that. Having the most overall engineers is definitely a prestigious thing in my opinion.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:15 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,354,096 times
Quote:
Having the most overall engineers is definitely a prestigious thing in my opinion.
Then Detroit is super-prestigious, because they have the most engineers per capita of any major U.S. city.

Back to the real world, places like LA and NYC are prestigious. Engineering meccas are the opposite of prestigious. Engineers do lots of important and valued things, but they're basically nerds, and not a very glamorous or prestigious profession.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:17 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,995,274 times
Quote:
Idk why you are getting salty with me. I was not the one that suggested that Hollywood was the driving force behind LA's prestige. I was just trying to point out why it is ludicrous to claim that. Having the most overall engineers is definitely a prestigious thing in my opinion.
That wasn't specific to you.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
That is a link. Here's another.

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...ge/0/length/25

Correct in that MIT graduates 5x the number of students. Which makes Cal Tech's per capita academic distinction all the more staggering. If you know nothing else about two people other than one went to Cal Tech and the other MIT, you will also know the former has a much higher likelihood of having won a Nobel prize.
the average person wouldnt know that. the average person would assume the mit graduate was a nobel winner.

Old 11-08-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
^Entertainers don't hold a feather to engineers, scientists, researches, analysts, etc.. The professions that dominate SF help the world and are much more prestigious. The Bay area is a top life science city, a top finance center, and the top tech area. Overall more prestigious schools and a higher COL..
i think boston is the largest center of life sciences research. obviously nyc is the largest finance center. the san fran area seems to dominate social networks.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 11-08-2015 at 07:33 PM..

Old 11-08-2015, 07:21 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,645,202 times
Quote:
The Kardishains are glamour trash who have zero prestige and are the most sought after people in LA.
What are you even talking about? No one in LA gives a crap about the Kardashians beyond how they can boost their own brand by getting mentioned by one of them on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. You're mixing up the people that consume pop culture media (e.g. middle America) with the people that generate it (Angelenos.)

Trust me, no one here would consider the Kardashians to be prestigious. We understand better than anybody that they are essentially a business, one who's profit model consists of shoveling manufactured drama bull**** to the media, and peppering it liberally with product placement name drops from their sponsors. They are minting money, and just as much credit for that goes to the haters like as does to their fans. Negative publicity is still publicity, and it all just keeps them in the spotlight and perpetuates the whole god-awful machine they've created. If you want them to go away then for the love of god stop talking about them.

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 11-08-2015 at 08:00 PM..

Old 11-08-2015, 08:04 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,568,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
the average person wouldnt know that. the average person would assume the mit graduate was a nobel winner.
What you describe sounds more like popularity than prestige, which implies a somewhat informed opinion. You now know that hypothetical graduate would be 4.5 times LESS likely.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:38 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,439,981 times
Quote:
The Kardishains are glamour trash who have zero prestige and are the most sought after people in LA.
This guy make alot of sense.
/sarcasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City