Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento, CA vs Richmond, VA
Sacramento, CA 55 54.46%
Richmond, VA 50 49.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 07:01 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,010,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Well if you actually saw what I was responding to you would realize that the poster said California cities as a whole are the most integrated in the country and I was just letting him know that his statement was a broad statement
Sacramento, Oakland, and Long Beach are more diverse than any city on the East Coast not called NYC.

SAC is more dense, a lager metro, and has better public transit. Richmond is way more suburban than Sac. Which is odd considering how old Richmond is.

And Sac very much provides an alternative to the bay area rat race. I know this first hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 07:45 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
I think this is a hard comparing these two because they are both lower tier cities on opposite ends of the country. Few people have been to both.
On paper Sacramento should be a tier higher, but when you limit it to just the downtown and nearby areas you get very similar situations.

Namely two cities that people would relocate to due to the weather factor, that are both somewhat artsy, and have sizable intercity populations (30-35k range).

I think one of the big differences, at least from my perspective is living in Sac I'd want to visit San Francisco, but living in Richmond I'd probably only go to DC for the museums. As far as the other nature type things nearby I think Sac and Richmond are fairly even. Although that's just a guess.

Sac does have the light rail which I like. Pro sports, which isn't really a pro or con for me.

Richmond could use a street car running from the Museum District to Shockoe Bottom. I also like how Richmond has filled in a lot of surface level parking with garages. Many "better" cities still haven't done this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What does that even mean? What do people move from SF to Sacramento for then and what don't they do that transplants to Richmond from DC do? You haven't really explained what the difference is.
I think it means people move from SF to Sacramento for quality of life reasons, but people move from DC to Richmond for additional reasons because each of those cities offers a specific type of interest not necessarily the same between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Sacramento, Oakland, and Long Beach are more diverse than any city on the East Coast not called NYC.
Oh, I don't know? A few come to mind that have decent diversity such as: Jersey City, Stamford, Hartford, Providence, Boston, and Lowell.

Old 08-28-2015, 10:52 PM

830 posts, read 1,019,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlats View Post
An outpost? Plenty of people move from the whole Bay Area to Sacramento. That's a huge portion of our population (and home price) gain.

The Virginia Capital Trail looks really cool, wasn't showing up on google maps for me so I didn't know it really existed. I was talking more about right along the river in the city. Heck, pull up google maps and turn on the biking overlay and check out the two cities. Pretty obvious which one has better bike infrastructure.

I was talking about 195 not 95. Browns Island does not equal downtown, right?

I'm sure Richmond is charming.
One of the great things about Richmond is that it has almost immediate access to nature from the urban core. Yes, Brown's Island and Belle isle are downtown and adjacent to the downtown district respectively. Belle Isle is connected via bridges and pathways from both sides of the river. Bike paths and trails in Richmond run adjacent to both the canal and the river, and the paved Virginia Capital Trail runs from Richmond's Great Shiplock Park in Shockoe Bottom, continuous to Williamsburg, VA. I was on it today, so tomorrow I'll take a few skyline pics to post. It's beautiful.

Richmondoutside.com
Trail Map | Virginia Capital Trail Foundation

The purpose of posting these youtube videos is to give you some perspective on the location/type of the trails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ2qmGwH4PE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K5U1ESNtrg

Haha, I admit, I like Richmond a lot, really a lot, in case you couldn't tell

Old 08-29-2015, 02:57 AM

6,902 posts, read 8,271,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post

Namely two cities that people would relocate to due to the weather factor, that are both somewhat artsy, and have sizable intercity populations (30-35k range).
I prefer Sacramento weather better, much warmer in the winter, no snow, but tons of snow less the 1 hour away in 3,000 to 10,000 foot high mountains. Sacramento summers have perfect humidity, with very very comfortable dew points, heat index temps lower than actual temp, cool nights and mornings.

Richmond summers, very humid, dew points uncomfortable, heat index temps higher than actual temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I think one of the big differences, at least from my perspective is living in Sac I'd want to visit San Francisco, but living in Richmond I'd probably only go to DC for the museums. As far as the other nature type things nearby I think Sac and Richmond are fairly even. Although that's just a guess.

Sac does have the light rail which I like. Pro sports, which isn't really a pro or con for me.
Sacramento's cultural assets, restaurant, coffee, and bar scene has grown a lot in the last 10 years, and we find ourselves going to the Bay Area less and less because Sacramento has so much to offer. But old habits are hard to break and having friends and family in the Bay we still find ourselves going there. Friends gave us free tickets to a concert in Oakland; coming back from the Bay, it took us 1 hour from the El Cerrito Del Norte BART station to downtown Sacramento by car tonight. Going there was just another 5 mins more in 5pm Friday night rush hour traffic.

Having SF nearby is just another cultural asset, which can still be done in 1hr, 15mins with light traffic, or you can take the train.

Yes, Sacramento has light rail and we just increased it to almost 50 miles in 3 different segments. Richmond does not have light rail. Sacramento likely will get a streetcar line in the next 5 years. I like that Sacramento has at least one pro sports team, and likely will gain major league soccer in the next couple of years too.

Richmond has no major league sports.

Sacramento has much more diversity in nature type options than Richmond.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:07 AM

44 posts, read 97,943 times
Proximity to Lake Tahoe, the beautiful Sierra Mountain range, Napa/Sonoma Wine Country, SF Bay area, gorgeous and rugged Northern CA coastline, and more comfortable year-round climate gives the edge to Sacramento.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:19 PM

998 posts, read 1,249,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What does that even mean? What do people move from SF to Sacramento for then and what don't they do that transplants to Richmond from DC do? You haven't really explained what the difference is.
Geez, ok......Bay Areans move to Sacramento because you can buy a house for under a million bucks.
DC'ers move to Richmond because it possesses personality, charm, food and art and will not suck the life out of you.
It close to beaches, mountains, horse country wineries, DC, NY, excellent higher education, deep history and the greenness/topography of the landscape is captivating.

Last edited by Poquoson7; 08-29-2015 at 01:28 PM..

Old 08-29-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Geez, ok......Bay Areans move to Sacramento because you can buy a house for under a million bucks.
DC'ers move to Richmond because it possesses personality, charm, food and art and will not suck the life out of you.
It close to beaches, mountains, horse country wineries, DC, NY, excellent higher education, deep history and the greenness/topography of the landscape is captivating.
Sacramento has plenty of personality, charm, food and art; a lot more than richmond, va. AND Sacramento is a very diverse and integrated city unlike richmond.

Napa Valley, Sonoma, Amador much better for wine the Va. Lake Tahoe and Sierra, and the Cascades some serious mountains better than than the Appalacians.

Some of the best education in the world in very close to Sacramento. UC Davis(12 miles), UC Berkeley(65miles); Stanford(2hours), Santa Clara University, UCSF....a few more.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:01 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimérique View Post
Sacramento has plenty of personality, charm, food and art; a lot more than richmond, va. AND Sacramento is a very diverse and integrated city unlike richmond.

Napa Valley, Sonoma, Amador much better for wine the Va. Lake Tahoe and Sierra, and the Cascades some serious mountains better than than the Appalacians.

Some of the best education in the world in very close to Sacramento. UC Davis(12 miles), UC Berkeley(65miles); Stanford(2hours), Santa Clara University, UCSF....a few more.
So I take you've never been to Virginia.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyroninja42 View Post
So I take you've never been to Virginia.
Yes, I've been to Virginia, sounds like you are quite uninformed about Sacramento with some preconceived uninformed bias.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:29 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,546,603 times
Actually, I was more concerned about your erroneous remarks about Virginia. I've never been to Sacramento, so I'm not going to comment. I've never stopped in Richmond, so I'm not going to talk about that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City