Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Sacramento, CA vs Richmond, VA
Sacramento, CA 55 54.46%
Richmond, VA 50 49.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 07:29 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times

Advertisements

Here are two river cities that seem to be consistently underrated and are in the shadow of larger cities.

A few interesting comparisons...

Downtown Sac vs Downtown RVA
Midtown vs The Fan
Old Town vs Shockoe Bottom
K Street vs Carytown
Broadway vs Broad St.
etc.

While from a total city & metro population Sacramento is twice the size (give or take) it seems to be a different story when it comes to the downtown & surrounding neighborhoods. They seem closely matched with Sac having about 30,000 & Richmond with that many just attending UVC next to downtown.

So what say you?

Which is better for:

1. Nightlife/Dating

2. People/Everyday Living

Sacramento seems to be California friendly meets Midwestern.

Richmond seems to be a mix of southern hospitality meets Mid-Atlantic.

3. Food (with specific types that are good in each)

4. Walkability within the intercity and close neighborhoods

5. Weather/Nature Activities mixed with city life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 08:12 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Wow! I was born in one, raised in the other...

I haven't been to Sacramento since '90, and I was born in '89. My biological father, two brothers, one sister, and a host of extended family I've never met still live out there...

I don't know enough about Sac to really compare, so I'll sit this out and see what city data can offer. I doubt many people have been to both....

I will say that the most recent GaWC ranked Richmond a whole tier and 46 spots higher, so clearly despite the size difference, Richmond can more than hold its own with Sacramento...

Old 08-25-2015, 07:52 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Richmond has a black side of town and a white side of town. It has been that way since the end of the civil war. Sacramento is one of, if not the most integrated city in the nation. What more needs to be said?

Old 08-25-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I doubt many people have been to both....
One can hope.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:09 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Richmond has a black side of town and a white side of town. It has been that way since the end of the civil war. Sacramento is one of, if not the most integrated city in the nation. What more needs to be said?
You could pretty much say the same thing about DC...so apparently a lot more needs to be said.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:58 PM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You could pretty much say the same thing about DC...so apparently a lot more needs to be said.
This thing hasn't let me rep you in over a month...

Truth, you could also say the same thing about parts of New York, so I really don't get what his point was...

Old 08-25-2015, 09:09 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,009,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you can't tell the difference between Richmond and DC you need to get checked out .

Old 08-25-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
If you can't tell the difference between Richmond and DC you need to get checked out .
Okay, I'm assuming that was your answer for question two. How about the others?

Old 08-25-2015, 09:41 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Well according to you, racial residential segregation tells you "all you need to know," so what else needs to be said if both cities are similar in this regard?

Don't make a dumb point like that if you're not going to hold it consistent across the board for other cities is the lesson to be learned here.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:52 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,919 times
For the record, Virginia has one of the most integrated populations in the country. While it isn't Richmond, the Norfolk / Virginia Beach metro is the most integrated metro in the country. If your assertion that Richmond has been segregated since before the Civil War is based on a stereotype, I'd advise you to check census data instead. Even the pre Civil War South was more integrated than most parts of the country today.

No Virginian should suffer the indignity of a race relations lecture from a resident of California. Few states have done a worse job than CA on that front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City