Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best borderlands experience
Tijuana (San Diego, CA) 24 53.33%
Nogales (Nogales/Tucson, AZ) 10 22.22%
Juarez (El Paso, TX) 3 6.67%
Nuevo Laredo (Laredo, TX) 1 2.22%
Reynosa-Matamoros (Rio Grande Valley, TX) 4 8.89%
Other 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 11:36 AM

8,630 posts, read 10,161,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
Rocky Point is okay, it's pretty dead these days though even during peak season. There's just something strange about going to a Mexican resort area where so many of the higher end resorts are quite a ways away from the beach though. But it's a pretty minor leagues resort area to begin with.

Fear of Mexico has been largely uncalled for, the chances of Cartel violence touching an American is so astronomically high it should be moot. The Cartel's know better than to mess with resort areas (tourism, i.e. Mexico's economy) anyway, it's just bad business. The only place to watch for are roads along smuggling routes (out in the middle of nowhere) where no tourist should ever be anyways and some of the inland cities.. I've driven from San Francisco to Puerto Vallarta (so through Arizona) and back dozens of times since 2004. Obviously nothing happened to me but those are the only kinds of trips that can be worrisome. Open road middle of nowhere places in between a Point A & Point B.

I've been to Tijuana, Ensenada, Rosarito, etc coming from California countless times. Not much point in going to Rosarito these days though. I'm not in college anymore and it's pretty dead these days. Tijuana goes through cycles of minor sketchiness to palpable sketchiness but I would never be too afraid to head over for a day trip while visiting friends / vacationing in SD.

Potential American tourists being afraid of being executed by a Mexican drug cartel is akin to a tourist visiting Chicago and being worried about getting caught up in a Southside Latin Kings drive by.

I worked in Juarez for ~4 months (US fed law enforcement, advising and training specialized local law enforcement), that is not a fun place to be.
I think Rocky Point's image will change once the cruise-ship port is completed:
Mexico building first cruise-ship home port in Rocky Point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 12:05 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,977,109 times
The Rio Grande Valley area in Texas comprises of 4 counties on the American side: Starr, Hidalgo, Cameron, and Willacy and currently have a population of 1.4 million people (when put together) and this area is not a huge land area place either. On the Mexican side is an additional 1.5 million people, anchored by the municipalities of Reynosa and Matamoros. This area has a combined bi-national metropolitan area population of 2.9 million people. This is the quietest 3 million persons metropolis in all of North America, given that the grand majority of us, if not all of us, are complete oblivious to the on-goings within this 3 million persons bi-national metropolis.

My youngest brother was a trouble-maker at a younger age (age 12-14) and my mother and father sent him to a school in the Rio Grande Valley for a year to get him to reform (and he did -- thankfully). The first time we visited him, I was awestruck with the place, by far the most Mexican and Central American place I had ever been in and I have lived in and visited Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, San Francisco Bay Area, Chicagoland, Houston, and Los Angeles all of which are very Latino places. It was literally like no one spoke English, the entire area was consumed with either American chain food to a degree or just completely food from various Latino countries in North America like Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, and of course Mexico. Everything tasted great. The few people that I came across that spoke English spoke it with a broken Spanglish style. I used to think the Rio Grande Valley would be similar to El Paso, but the Rio Grande Valley actually doesn't have a "the city" like El Paso, nor a downtown core with cohesive and dense neighborhoods surrounding it, like El Paso. It is a highly suburbanized urban zone, unlike El Paso. It is also incredibly flat but it is coastal and cool and fun spots like the Iron Reef, South Padre Island, and Port Isabel are fun spots to spend time. The beaches on South Padre Island (really any of the Padre Islands or the terminus 145 miles of the Texas coast are really nice (unlike the hideous northern Texas coast around Houston and Beaumont -- water changes right before Corpus Christi). El Paso is not flat but rather mountainous, it is not coastal either, so its offerings are a parallel to the Rio Grande Valley's offerings.

I have also been to El Paso (twice), it does not physically resemble anything in the United States, not even Tucson or Albuquerque. El Paso grew up in a time period when the streetcar was widely popular and El Paso even had an extensive network itself, it is a very dense city structurally, much more so than any of the Texas Triangle cities, in my opinion. El Paso even had one of the first Chinatowns in all of America, and the first one in its state. Even at night you can see the light pollution on its street grid when driving through or going on a mountain and how close together all the structures are, in a very condensed and narrow manner, especially when compared to other cities in Texas. The first time I saw El Paso, we were heading to Phoenix, Arizona and driving through, I was maybe 11 years old at the time and I just thought to myself that the city keeps on going, once you enter, it doesn't stop until 45 minutes AFTER you cross the New Mexican border and well into the Las Cruces area. I got that exact same feeling again this past winter when I drove through the area from Florida on the way to Oregon. It feels overwhelming in a way the other Texas cities do not, as El Paso becomes larger, it becomes far more distinct from its other Texas sibling cities and areas, primarily because it has a lot of mountain range within its city limits and metropolitan area, so its structurally condensed layout owes it to geographic restrictions in terms of development (Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, Rio Grande Valley, Corpus Christi, Midland/Odessa, so on). El Paso, which culturally doesn't feel American at all, feels significantly more American than the Rio Grande Valley though. More people in El Paso seem connected to American culture, American politics, American customs and idealism than you'll ever see in the Rio Grande Valley.

I have seen San Diego a few times now, it is a standard American city with California demographics and culture. San Diego is a great city considering the climate, the topography, the industries, the type of housing, the location (on the Pacific Rim and the border), its cultural and educational institutions, and its culinary scene (especially CA Fusion). Tijuana is 1 mile from San Diego, Downtown Tijuana is 1.1 miles from the border which you can access via San Diego Trolley to the San Ysidro Pass. You wont need your passport book, for border crossings you can just use a passport card and when you walk across the bridge (instead of driving) it tends to be a faster process. Tijuana automatically, once you cross the border, feels significantly more dense and structurally interwined than does San Diego. The stark differences between how we live in America and how Mexican people live across the border are on full display in the San Diego-Tijuana area. The Avienda Revolucion is the main arterial for Tijuana shopping, eating, and nightlife -- although I was told in Tijuana, when I visited it, that they've cut the nightlife hours back as it used to be on-going till 3 A.M. and now closes down at 1 A.M. instead. Tijuana is a very active city in terms of pedestrian foot traffic on Avienda Revolucion. We also got paid a cab and got to the coast and beaches near Tijuana, saw some homes for sale, and surprisingly for the climate, the location, the topography, the coastal views, and only being 15-19 miles from Downtown San Diego and within 18 miles of Downtown Tijuana, the homes, often super huge mansions or cute "Old Pueblo" style mediterranean homes on the mountains along the coast would start at USD $45,000. Saw so many of them and we asked our cab driver if any Americans opt to live in Tijuana and commute into San Diego everyday during the weekdays for work and he told us it is very common. In fact, he explained to us (in as much English as he knew) that there is a special permitting or registration card or status for people that live in one of the two cities but work in the other across the border, usually it speeds their commute across the border up by having this documentation, you can get across the border in as quickly as 25 minutes -- which is much better than the standard 1 hour (and on-peak hours of the crossing, longer). I personally like the entire area, yes the Tijuana side does have crime and yes, you have to be wise about which areas you avoid. Usually you can download crime heat maps for every city, including Mexican ones, and it will give you an immediate idea of which neighborhoods to avoid, you would be wise to do that. That does not mean that you shouldn't ever visit a new place but just know which areas to stay away from. The walk from the border to Downtown Tijuana can be made in 15-20 minutes at most (between normal walkers speed and really slow walkers' speed) or you can just get a cab after crossing the border, those are available in abundance once you cross. On the other side of the border, the San Diego Trolley's station is like 300 feet from the customs office at the San Ysidro Pass, you can walk that in 1-2 minutes after getting off the Trolley. Its easy. Tijuana, due to its close proximity to San Diego, actually does have a noticeable Asian community too, particularly the Chinese.

I've also seen Tucson too but I don't consider that a Borderland city as its not really on the border but 45 minutes north of it. I haven't experienced Nogales but driving through the territory that was formerly the Gadson Purchase, it has a very distinctive and awesome look to it, topographically. I have always loved Tucson and this area of Arizona in general. Mexicali is on my North American bucket list, I hear it is the most authentic city to borderland culture between both Mexico and the United States. It is a place about the same size as El Paso, Tucson, and Albuquerque, so that is actually plenty big and its probably denser and more cohesive than the former three as well.

I like the Borderland area of the United States personally. From California to Texas, I would rather live here than live in the sort of places where people regularly talk about trashy pop-culture icons as a conversation starter. I personally hate American culture, think Americans have screwed up priorities, and that they spend too much time awing over trash human lives on television and film and other popular cultural medians. Americans aren't alone in that, people the world on over do that (including Mexico), but Americans in particular frustrate me with how much and how far they'll go into looking up to or respecting these people. At least in Borderland, if someone made a reference to a popular cultural icon or person from Mexico, I wouldn't understand who the hell that is, what their significance is, and the conversation would only go that far (since I wont be asking about that person).

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 09-05-2015 at 12:27 PM..

Old 09-05-2015, 12:23 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I think Rocky Point's image will change once the cruise-ship port is completed:
Mexico building first cruise-ship home port in Rocky Point
Yeah that could be good. Puerto Vallarta, where my family has a house, has a daily cruise ship stop right before downtown in front of a Walmart, a Sam's Club and a high end American style shopping center. It really helps populate the downtown (Puerto Vallarta is a resort area but also a real city with a real downtown) during the day but nights still remain dead except for weekends but that is mostly wealthier locals. Before 2009 PV was always packed with tourists, now they don't leave resort areas or don't come at all.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah that could be good. Puerto Vallarta, where my family has a house, has a daily cruise ship stop right before downtown in front of a Walmart, a Sam's Club and a high end American style shopping center. It really helps populate the downtown (Puerto Vallarta is a resort area but also a real city with a real downtown) during the day but nights still remain dead except for weekends but that is mostly wealthier locals. Before 2009 PV was always packed with tourists, now they don't leave resort areas or don't come at all.
That could be a result of a combination of things, but aren't there quite a few "all inclusive" resorts in PV? I've only been there once, but actually stayed at one of them (Dreams Villamagna) when there.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:10 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,112,482 times
The all inclusives are mostly in Nuevo Vallarta now (which is where my family's house actually is) which is like a touristy resort area and very expensive suburb of PV. It's actually in a different state than PV but Nuevo is only 5km from PV airport and 15km from downtown PV. Dreams is in Nuevo now, it used to be in PV (not sure when you were there). It's very nice, a few friends have stayed there. All inclusives definitely harm the nightlife though. Rocky Point and PV probably aren't all that comparable (can't remember why I brought it up lol) as one can be reached by Americans on a day trip and the other is very very far south into Mexico (~3 day drive, 3 hour plane ride from San Francisco).

Old 09-05-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
The all inclusives are mostly in Nuevo Vallarta now (which is where my family's house actually is) which is like a touristy resort area and very expensive suburb of PV. It's actually in a different state than PV but Nuevo is only 5km from PV airport and 15km from downtown PV. Dreams is in Nuevo now, it used to be in PV (not sure when you were there). It's very nice, a few friends have stayed there. All inclusives definitely harm the nightlife though. Rocky Point and PV probably aren't all that comparable (can't remember why I brought it up lol) as one can be reached by Americans on a day trip and the other is very very far south into Mexico (~3 day drive, 3 hour plane ride from San Francisco).
It's been a few years since I've been there (I really need to go back again). I would agree with you in saying that PV and Rocky Point aren't as comparable as PV is also quite a few years ahead of Rocky Point. However, I'm pretty excited about the idea of being able to take a cruise out of Rocky Point. I would imagine there are many Mexicans who are also excited about that considering it would be the first home port for cruises in Mexico.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:38 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,796,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
The Rio Grande Valley area in Texas comprises of 4 counties on the American side: Starr, Hidalgo, Cameron, and Willacy and currently have a population of 1.4 million people (when put together) and this area is not a huge land area place either. On the Mexican side is an additional 1.5 million people, anchored by the municipalities of Reynosa and Matamoros. This area has a combined bi-national metropolitan area population of 2.9 million people. This is the quietest 3 million persons metropolis in all of North America, given that the grand majority of us, if not all of us, are complete oblivious to the on-goings within this 3 million persons bi-national metropolis.

My youngest brother was a trouble-maker at a younger age (age 12-14) and my mother and father sent him to a school in the Rio Grande Valley for a year to get him to reform (and he did -- thankfully). The first time we visited him, I was awestruck with the place, by far the most Mexican and Central American place I had ever been in and I have lived in and visited Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, San Francisco Bay Area, Chicagoland, Houston, and Los Angeles all of which are very Latino places. It was literally like no one spoke English, the entire area was consumed with either American chain food to a degree or just completely food from various Latino countries in North America like Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, and of course Mexico. Everything tasted great. The few people that I came across that spoke English spoke it with a broken Spanglish style. I used to think the Rio Grande Valley would be similar to El Paso, but the Rio Grande Valley actually doesn't have a "the city" like El Paso, nor a downtown core with cohesive and dense neighborhoods surrounding it, like El Paso. It is a highly suburbanized urban zone, unlike El Paso. It is also incredibly flat but it is coastal and cool and fun spots like the Iron Reef, South Padre Island, and Port Isabel are fun spots to spend time. The beaches on South Padre Island (really any of the Padre Islands or the terminus 145 miles of the Texas coast are really nice (unlike the hideous northern Texas coast around Houston and Beaumont -- water changes right before Corpus Christi). El Paso is not flat but rather mountainous, it is not coastal either, so its offerings are a parallel to the Rio Grande Valley's offerings.

I have also been to El Paso (twice), it does not physically resemble anything in the United States, not even Tucson or Albuquerque. El Paso grew up in a time period when the streetcar was widely popular and El Paso even had an extensive network itself, it is a very dense city structurally, much more so than any of the Texas Triangle cities, in my opinion. El Paso even had one of the first Chinatowns in all of America, and the first one in its state. Even at night you can see the light pollution on its street grid when driving through or going on a mountain and how close together all the structures are, in a very condensed and narrow manner, especially when compared to other cities in Texas. The first time I saw El Paso, we were heading to Phoenix, Arizona and driving through, I was maybe 11 years old at the time and I just thought to myself that the city keeps on going, once you enter, it doesn't stop until 45 minutes AFTER you cross the New Mexican border and well into the Las Cruces area. I got that exact same feeling again this past winter when I drove through the area from Florida on the way to Oregon. It feels overwhelming in a way the other Texas cities do not, as El Paso becomes larger, it becomes far more distinct from its other Texas sibling cities and areas, primarily because it has a lot of mountain range within its city limits and metropolitan area, so its structurally condensed layout owes it to geographic restrictions in terms of development (Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Fort Worth, Rio Grande Valley, Corpus Christi, Midland/Odessa, so on). El Paso, which culturally doesn't feel American at all, feels significantly more American than the Rio Grande Valley though. More people in El Paso seem connected to American culture, American politics, American customs and idealism than you'll ever see in the Rio Grande Valley.

I have seen San Diego a few times now, it is a standard American city with California demographics and culture. San Diego is a great city considering the climate, the topography, the industries, the type of housing, the location (on the Pacific Rim and the border), its cultural and educational institutions, and its culinary scene (especially CA Fusion). Tijuana is 1 mile from San Diego, Downtown Tijuana is 1.1 miles from the border which you can access via San Diego Trolley to the San Ysidro Pass. You wont need your passport book, for border crossings you can just use a passport card and when you walk across the bridge (instead of driving) it tends to be a faster process. Tijuana automatically, once you cross the border, feels significantly more dense and structurally interwined than does San Diego. The stark differences between how we live in America and how Mexican people live across the border are on full display in the San Diego-Tijuana area. The Avienda Revolucion is the main arterial for Tijuana shopping, eating, and nightlife -- although I was told in Tijuana, when I visited it, that they've cut the nightlife hours back as it used to be on-going till 3 A.M. and now closes down at 1 A.M. instead. Tijuana is a very active city in terms of pedestrian foot traffic on Avienda Revolucion. We also got paid a cab and got to the coast and beaches near Tijuana, saw some homes for sale, and surprisingly for the climate, the location, the topography, the coastal views, and only being 15-19 miles from Downtown San Diego and within 18 miles of Downtown Tijuana, the homes, often super huge mansions or cute "Old Pueblo" style mediterranean homes on the mountains along the coast would start at USD $45,000. Saw so many of them and we asked our cab driver if any Americans opt to live in Tijuana and commute into San Diego everyday during the weekdays for work and he told us it is very common. In fact, he explained to us (in as much English as he knew) that there is a special permitting or registration card or status for people that live in one of the two cities but work in the other across the border, usually it speeds their commute across the border up by having this documentation, you can get across the border in as quickly as 25 minutes -- which is much better than the standard 1 hour (and on-peak hours of the crossing, longer). I personally like the entire area, yes the Tijuana side does have crime and yes, you have to be wise about which areas you avoid. Usually you can download crime heat maps for every city, including Mexican ones, and it will give you an immediate idea of which neighborhoods to avoid, you would be wise to do that. That does not mean that you shouldn't ever visit a new place but just know which areas to stay away from. The walk from the border to Downtown Tijuana can be made in 15-20 minutes at most (between normal walkers speed and really slow walkers' speed) or you can just get a cab after crossing the border, those are available in abundance once you cross. On the other side of the border, the San Diego Trolley's station is like 300 feet from the customs office at the San Ysidro Pass, you can walk that in 1-2 minutes after getting off the Trolley. Its easy. Tijuana, due to its close proximity to San Diego, actually does have a noticeable Asian community too, particularly the Chinese.

I've also seen Tucson too but I don't consider that a Borderland city as its not really on the border but 45 minutes north of it. I haven't experienced Nogales but driving through the territory that was formerly the Gadson Purchase, it has a very distinctive and awesome look to it, topographically. I have always loved Tucson and this area of Arizona in general. Mexicali is on my North American bucket list, I hear it is the most authentic city to borderland culture between both Mexico and the United States. It is a place about the same size as El Paso, Tucson, and Albuquerque, so that is actually plenty big and its probably denser and more cohesive than the former three as well.

I like the Borderland area of the United States personally. From California to Texas, I would rather live here than live in the sort of places where people regularly talk about trashy pop-culture icons as a conversation starter. I personally hate American culture, think Americans have screwed up priorities, and that they spend too much time awing over trash human lives on television and film and other popular cultural medians. Americans aren't alone in that, people the world on over do that (including Mexico), but Americans in particular frustrate me with how much and how far they'll go into looking up to or respecting these people. At least in Borderland, if someone made a reference to a popular cultural icon or person from Mexico, I wouldn't understand who the hell that is, what their significance is, and the conversation would only go that far (since I wont be asking about that person).

Wow, I loved reading your respectful, insightful views on the border areas.

I grew up in the San Diego/Tijuana region, my family owning homes in both cities. As you mentioned, the homes in coastal Tijuana and Baja California are quite affordable so we have a beach house down there.

My experience growing up crossing the border was amazing- I went to outdoor concerts, movies, art shows, dinners, all types of cultural events.

The many people that I know who grow up in this cross-cultural environment are creative, open-minded, intelligent individuals who have gone on to do AMAZING things- one friend of mine was just invited to the White House because she started a cooperative to help young girls in Africa to create their own cooperative business. The business is selling hand made items online to fund their schooling. They always attribute their unique points of views to their experiences living in this border culture.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:46 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,977,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
Wow, I loved reading your respectful, insightful views on the border areas.

I grew up in the San Diego/Tijuana region, my family owning homes in both cities. As you mentioned, the homes in coastal Tijuana and Baja California are quite affordable so we have a beach house down there.

My experience growing up crossing the border was amazing- I went to outdoor concerts, movies, art shows, dinners, all types of cultural events.

Those that I know who grow up in this cross-cultural environment are creative, open-minded intelligent people who have gone on to do AMAZING things- one was even just invited to the White House because she started a cooperative to help young girls in Mali, Africa to create a business selling items online to fund their schooling. All attribute their unique points of views to their experiences living in a border culture.
Its crazy because one morning you can be in Downtown San Diego, then decide to get tea at a place along the coast in La Jolla Cove, for example, just 20-25 minutes north of Downtown San Diego and see all of these homes that are like $5-10 million on the mountains beside the coast. Then later that day you can trek south 35-40 minutes from La Jolla Cove and cross the border at the San Ysidro Pass, get a cab after crossing, go to the beach communities along the Pacific Coast in Tijuana and see what appears to be a nearly identical house to the one you saw in La Jolla Cove costing like $65,000 USD. Like same exact thing, 6 bedrooms, 3-4 bathrooms, somewhere close to 3,500 - 4,000 square feet, on a mountain that overlooks the coast, with incredible access to the beaches and coast within seconds of walking outside and so dirt cheap (not just by San Diego standards but American standards in general).

I have seen Tijuana, there was nothing there that I was scared of at all. I never felt my life was in danger and neither did the 4 friends that accompanied me across the border. Thoroughly enjoyed it, Tijuana in general is like a bargain of an investment. Cant think of any other population center in North America with perfect climate, location, and topography being so dirt cheap. Its mind-blowing, honestly,

Oh and Tijuana people are super nice and friendly people. Very helpful people. We went to a corner store, it was the first place we went to on Avienda Revolucion, and literally everyone that worked in the store greeted us as if they've known us to be longtime customers for years or something. It was awesome. A+ for customer service, A+ for experience, A+ for how cheap it is, A+ for how fun it is, A+ for climate, A+ for food, and A+ for topography.

Needless to say, I am a huge huge huge fan of the entire San Diego-Tijuana area. Probably my favorite place, no contest, in all of California (all three Californias for that matter: California, Baja California, Baja California Sur). I love how San Diego and Tijuana, despite sharing location, climate, and topography are socially and culturally polar opposite cities that compliment each other beautifully, in my personal opinion. One thing both share with each other, socially, is how laid-back and easy it is to take it all in and enjoy yourself out there. Oh and both cities share their knack for having spectacular golf courses too, Tijuana is a beast in that category as well and San Diego is just elite there. Love it (golf, tennis, soccer, basketball, and lacrosse are my favorite sports to actually play).

Old 09-05-2015, 01:59 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,796,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Its crazy because one morning you can be in Downtown San Diego, then decide to get tea at a place along the coast in La Jolla Cove, for example, just 20-25 minutes north of Downtown San Diego and see all of these homes that are like $5-10 million on the mountains beside the coast. Then later that day you can trek south 35-40 minutes from La Jolla Cove and cross the border at the San Ysidro Pass, get a cab after crossing, go to the beach communities along the Pacific Coast in Tijuana and see what appears to be a nearly identical house to the one you saw in La Jolla Cove costing like $65,000 USD. Like same exact thing, 6 bedrooms, 3-4 bathrooms, somewhere close to 3,500 - 4,000 square feet, on a mountain that overlooks the coast, with incredible access to the beaches and coast within seconds of walking outside and so dirt cheap (not just by San Diego standards but American standards in general).

I have seen Tijuana, there was nothing there that I was scared of at all. I never felt my life was in danger and neither did the 4 friends that accompanied me across the border. Thoroughly enjoyed it, Tijuana in general is like a bargain of an investment. Cant think of any other population center in North America with perfect climate, location, and topography being so dirt cheap. Its mind-blowing, honestly,

Oh and Tijuana people are super nice and friendly people. Very helpful people. We went to a corner store, it was the first place we went to on Avienda Revolucion, and literally everyone that worked in the store greeted us as if they've known us to be longtime customers for years or something. It was awesome. A+ for customer service, A+ for experience, A+ for how cheap it is, A+ for how fun it is, A+ for climate, A+ for food, and A+ for topography.

Needless to say, I am a huge huge huge fan of the entire San Diego-Tijuana area. Probably my favorite place, no contest, in all of California (all three Californias for that matter: California, Baja California, Baja California Sur). I love how San Diego and Tijuana, despite sharing location, climate, and topography are socially and culturally polar opposite cities that compliment each other beautifully, in my personal opinion. One thing both share with each other, socially, is how laid-back and easy it is to take it all in and enjoy yourself out there.

Yes, people in Tijuana are very friendly and warm people, and they love culture and art. If you ever get the chance, come to Entijuanarte, a huge art festival that runs in September.

Sometimes I get too used to the area and I forget how beautiful it is- your description is interesting, you are right. It is a unique place and very live let live. I feel comfortable living here and you are allowed to flourish here, no matter where you are from.

Old 09-27-2015, 12:50 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,141,850 times
A lot of people's comments on Juarez and TJ seem to be based on rumor, what they see/saw in the media or based on memories of how things were several years ago.

Let me put it this way, if you had no knowledge of TJ and Juarez, had never heard of them on the news or from others...and took a trip to them, you would say they are perfectly fine to visit. Like most Mexican cities, they have nice areas and some poor, dangerous areas, but chances are you won't be spending your time in bad neighborhoods.

Juarez and TJ have huge malls, lifestyle centers, American chain and departments stores, Mexican chain stores, subdivision after subdivision of new homes and housing complexes....freeways, busy boulevards...nightclub districts....

The image of a lawless red light district dominated city across the border where everything goes is not readily aparent unless you go looking for shady places in out of the way areas.

If you choose to visit a border city for cheaper medical care, medications, an authentic meal or just to check them out, you should be fine as long as you take the same reasonable precautions you would whenever you are in a foreign place, out of your own element.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City