Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is the accurate place for DC and Baltimore in the 21st century?
Northeast 70 81.40%
South 16 18.60%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 12:39 AM

833 posts, read 1,026,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
DC flew the union flag, not the confederate one. So yeah...it's history aligns with the north.
Because DC's history began and ended with the Civil War, jim crow be damned. I think enough stats, demographics, etc have been pointed out in this thread that I don't even need to further explain the point or why what you said sounds kinda foolish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 01:13 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,969,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Because DC's history began and ended with the Civil War, jim crow be damned. I think enough stats, demographics, etc have been pointed out in this thread that I don't even need to further explain the point or why what you said sounds kinda foolish.
Far from it. If anything the voting is proving me right. DC isn't southern. Not anymore at the very least. It's present and future is as a northeastern city. You are in a minority who refuses to see that, and you are the one who is foolish to argue otherwise. The current politics and culture of the city is northern secular liberal, and that is the direction it will stay in. Not southern theocratic conservative. Arguing it is southern is basically borderline delusional and removed from factual reality of what it is now. Stressing the past that no longer exists is ignoring it's present reality as part of the northeastern megalopolis, northeastern rail lines, etc. DC may have been southern at one point, but that point is long past, it is now northeastern, and mid-Atlantic, and above all not southern.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:34 AM

833 posts, read 1,026,552 times
Quote:
Far from it. If anything the voting is proving me right. DC isn't southern. Not anymore at the very least. It's present and future is as a northeastern city. You are in a minority who refuses to see that, and you are the one who is foolish to argue otherwise. The current politics and culture of the city is northern secular liberal, and that is the direction it will stay in. Not southern theocratic conservative. Arguing it is southern is basically borderline delusional and removed from factual reality of what it is now. Stressing the past that no longer exists is ignoring it's present reality as part of the northeastern megalopolis, northeastern rail lines, etc. DC may have been southern at one point, but that point is long past, it is now northeastern, and mid-Atlantic, and above all not southern.
To be clear, I said that "I agree that DC is the Mid-Atlantic and its connectedness as part of the NEC is undeniable." So, you are putting words in my mouth. I even voted northeast in the poll. What I do not appreciate is your derision of the southeast with broad, untrue generalities. WTH is "southern theocratic conservative" and who was arguing that that's what DC is? No, you're sounding trollish. What you are doing is painting the southeast with a broad brush when in fact DC had and many would say, still has qualities found in the [upper] south even if it is a Mid-Atlantic city. The south isn't all bad - it's a beautiful region - and honestly, the modern day Mid-Atlantic even overlaps/extends into the northernmost portion of the south. bada bing.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:51 AM

27,737 posts, read 28,848,621 times
DC is a pro-government city, for obvious reasons, as it is the most powerful government in the world.

So, anywhere that usually votes anti-government would be seen as unfriendly to DC area residents.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:16 AM

6,736 posts, read 6,776,506 times
Not just North vs South, but like Philly, Baltimore, and Richmond, DC is a Fall Line city. Unlike NY, Boston, or Atlanta, all these cities grew because they took advantage of the industrial power of nearby falls. DC's location was in part due to the existing town of Georgetown, which was just south of the Great Falls on the Potomac, which put a limit on where boats could travel. Georgetown alone remained a top 100 city in 1850, and was an industrial center until the New Deal.

Richmond was the 3rd largest city in the South before the Civil War, after New Orleans and Charleston. Nearby Petersburg, VA was in the top 10.

These cities all prospered up to the Civil War, when rowhouses were popular. But their industrial economies declined after the Civil War due to NY, Boston, and Chicago taking over the national economy at that time. Even Philly lost rank as Chicago overtook it, though the decline got worse the farther south you went along the Fall Line. Water-power cities at higher latitudes, like Minneapolis and Fall River, MA, took over much of their growth in the late 19th century.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:08 AM

20,532 posts, read 33,653,257 times
Quote:
Yeah, says the person from Texas, now you know how the rest of the country feels about the crap hole known as the US south. Out of line, hardly, our country would be far better off without the south. Likewise I live in DC, and trust me nobody in this city appreciates the fact that our right to representation has been blocked by a large contingency of mostly southern senators and representatives. We know who the enemy is pretty damn well. If you wonder where the animosity for the south comes from in DC, and where it's grounded, well know you know. Never mind the fact southern reps and senators regularly stand in the way of our local laws based on their backwards theocratic and conservative culture that we do not share. So spare me the those in DC are not insulted by the south bit. Out of line...hardly, maybe when southern senators and reps finally stop standing in the way of home rule and representation in congress and the senate (DC statehood) it would not be out of line. But right now, it's perfectly in line. I am not off the deep end, and the political representation coming from southern states proves it, as well as their interference in the affairs of DC government. I am right where I should be...do you know what's off the deep end. The US south, and the authoritarian theocrat and gun nut conservatives they keep sending as there representatives to DC. In DC we judge you by the politicians you send, and the politicians you send to DC are complete nutjobs. We don't identify with the south, nor are we southern, we are northern, deal with it. Then again I am not from the backwards part of the country that keeps us back from progressing, you are. We see what the keep sending to our city, and how much of a pain they are for our home rule, and how much they go out of the way to block representation. So yeah...let's just say DC is a little bitter towards the south. We have every right to be, thus why we are very regional, and many of us don't identify as southern, and never will. Because it's very personal and political. Frankly, you are coming off as somebody who does not live in DC, but somebody who lives in the further out suburbs or exurbs. It's pretty clearly I have hit a sore spot for you, which I say, welcome to DC. Now you know how we really feel about southerners, especially Texans, which we especially dislike.

The only way the south is ever going to redeem itself in the eyes of DC is to quit interfering in our business, and pass DC statehood with full representation in congress. But I do not see that happening, because of nutjobs that the south keeps sending to DC.
LOL. This is laughable and you hit no sore spot here kid. Learn how to use paragraphs. They exist for a reason. You sound like a little angry little crybaby child. I live in the CITY and been here for the past 10 years spending most of my adult life in the DC area. Once again, you type without getting the facts. Like I said, I deal with my family and my friends and my coworkers on a daily basis. They don't rep the North or the South. They don't think of themselves as Northerners or Southerners. They are DC first or Mid-Atlantic. I don't care how much you think it's backwards. I don't care how much you animosity you have. I don't care how insecure you are about yourself. You still have no knowledge of a extremely large region.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:41 AM

10,123 posts, read 10,031,731 times
As far as snow, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC all broke records for the most snow on record in 2010. Baltimore and Philly had the highest totals at 80inches that winter.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:57 AM

366 posts, read 406,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Bones View Post
Much of what you are describing here is not limited to any region of the country. They are the things you will find in any major urban area with a decent sized transient population. With the exception of Union statues being everywhere, there are plenty of Southern cities that have a lot of these characteristics too
And? A lot of the so called "traditionally northeastern" characteristics of everything above the DMV area are possessed by any decent sized metros of the New South. The problem is people's inability to accept that fact.

It still all comes down to the same old argument, exception is not the norm.

People's argument here is that the DC's northeastern characteristics is pretty much the norm over there now.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:11 AM

387 posts, read 990,672 times
If I had to choose between northeastern and southern, I would vote northeastern. However, my impression of both cities would lead me to define them as the quintessential midatlantic region. From what I have observed, people from Jersey/NYC/Boston frequently consider the cities southern, albeit to a lesser degree than the deep south. In contrast, people from North Carolina down to the deep south normally consider DC and Baltimore the northeast. I have noticed people from the west-coast tend to view DC and Baltimore as east-coast cities. Many from central VA, tidewater, eastern shore, and Delaware are likely to view DC and Baltimore as purely midatlantic, and as the main/dominant "cities" of this region. For instance, I rarely hear people in Richmond/tidewater describing DC as up-north. People tend to say "I'm going to DC, the DMV area (DC metro region), or to "the city"; while the same people would say "I'm going up-top or up north" when describing a trip to NYC, Philly, or Jersey. Another example is people tend to say "he/she is from up-north" when describing a person from NYC, Philly, or Boston, but will just say "he/she is from the DC, Northern VA, Maryland, or Baltimore" if they are from these places.

Last edited by Kbank007; 09-13-2015 at 04:47 AM..

Old 09-13-2015, 04:44 AM

387 posts, read 990,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I would say yeah. Doing their own thing. I don't hear them represent that they are anything like either the North or the South. Put it like this. Black folks go visit their family in the South mostly in the Carolinas especially South Carolina from what I've observed. But I've heard from the mouth of New Yorkers and Philadelphians down here that they moved to DC because it's slower and they felt they moved down South but close enough home for them. So at best it's Mid-Atlantic right now.
I agree with you about your observations. I think, especially among blacks in the DC area, the normal view is the people don't see themselves as northern or southern, but rather an anomaly, or a superior combination of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City