Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is the accurate place for DC and Baltimore in the 21st century?
Northeast 70 81.40%
South 16 18.60%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 07:34 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,098,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Honestly, from living up here and being around them, they don't really identify with being Northeastern as well. And I think quick to calling somebody country is really a big city to small city or town thing. Because I know people from Dallas that were quick to call the people in Tyler, Tx country.
What would you say they identify more with? You live up there so you know better than me, but they always seemed more "Northeast/East Coast" to me.

Mid Atlantic doing their own thing or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 08:27 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I will admit my area of knowledge is really limited compared to some. From Newark, DE where I work to New Haven, CT is where I have spent the majority of my live. My DC knowledge mostly exists from visits to my sister when she went to Georgetown, random weekend trips, and friends from NOVA. I understand that NOVA has saw so much growth over the last few decades that it has basically erased whatever culture existed before than in that area. However:

1. You are wrong about the weather and just backed it up with nothing.
2. While I knew DC had an extensive network of Ethopian Food, to me that isn't "DC's Food" All that means is it is true DC doesn't have any food to claim there own. At least not anymore. Though I guess you could turn around and say that having Ethopian resturants is a common factor between the northern cities. Oh and soul food is definitely associated with southern food. Too suggest otherwise is pretty ignorant.
3. If DC is so similar why is the city so much less dense overall than the others? Philadelphia has entire industrial plants, extremely suburban parts, and an absolutely massive park system and still manages to have a higher population density over 141 square miles than the much smaller DC.

The liberal/democrat thing holds true in most cities north or south. I stick by that my statement that a large portion of Nor'easter snow storms begin by making landfall around New Jersey.

Also since, we are on a site about data it is very easy to look at the religious breakdown of each city. DC has just as many people practicing Evangelicalism as Catholicism. That is very un-northeastern like. I will give you the Jewish Population. It is true that there are proportionally more jewish citizens between from DC north.

Though I don't know what drinking craft beer/wine exclusively has to do with anything. Also being rude is an ugly trait to have and not something I associate with being northern. Provincial attitude, yes. That is mainly because of people living in the same neighborhoods for generations. Idk if that is what you meant.
Almost all of the evangelicals are BLACK, not white, which is typical or northeastern and great lakes cities, not southern ones. If you dig down on the statistics on a racial basis you find white evangelical identification is basically rare, if not non-existant. In fact you would have hard time finding an evangelical church whites attend until you are into the further exurbs far removed from the metro core. Where in the south white evangelicalism is prolific, in the DC area it's rare. Evangelicals are almost universally black, like most Northern cities. The white population here, if they practice at all are either jewish, catholic, or UU (or some other liberal faith). This is one instance where knowing things on a granular level counts for a great deal. The white evangelical population is tiny, and they really only start to show up in the furthest exurbs. Never mind most whites just don't practice period around here, and religion is really not in your face at all. Again, there is mannerisms that extend out of this which are more typical of the northeast than the south. Which is the expectation that religion should be something kept private. Again, this is a northern tendency.

I should note, the extent of the liberal democrat thing goes far further in DC than in any southern city, and it is more typical of a northern one. In fact the only cities that come close are actually western coastal ones. Southern cities in comparison to DC are conservative.

Again, the difference here is the extent, yes, you may claim those cities are liberal, but not to the same extent as DC. The cities mentioned in the south, are not even close in comparison to DC. They often have conservative suburbs as well once you immediately leave city borders, DC's suburbs are famously liberal.

Again in some ways DC shares more with west coast cities, but that may be because the transient, but it shares the least with southern cities at this point.

I can go on and on about this, but it's already pretty obvious you don't live in DC, so you would not catch onto the difference. DC is a pretty fundamentally northern place. It's liberalism also goes much further than any of the southern cities you listed as well. It's part of the northeastern corridor, it's northern, most importantly people who are here identify as northern, that's what's critically important in all of it, self identification. There is no celebration of southern heritage here, it's a strongly identifies with northern identity, yes there is such a thing. Again, if anything DC is anti-southern. You may call DC mid-atlantic, but never call it southern. We find that as an insult, because the south stands or everything that DC is not these days.

The reality is in some ways DC shares more with western cities these days.

Again, trying to argue DC is southern is arguing against how DC idenifies, which is northern and mid-atlantic. Again DC is not even in the south....Maryland being a southern state is questionable at best anymore. Virginia is in the south, especially south of NoVA. DC and Maryland...no. They are not. If it's in the northeastern megalopolis, it's not in the south. DC is part of that.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:50 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
^^ You're doing off the deep end on your generalizations on the South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
What would you say they identify more with? You live up there so you know better than me, but they always seemed more "Northeast/East Coast" to me.

Mid Atlantic doing their own thing or something?
I would say yeah. Doing their own thing. I don't hear them represent that they are anything like either the North or the South. Put it like this. Black folks go visit their family in the South mostly in the Carolinas especially South Carolina from what I've observed. But I've heard from the mouth of New Yorkers and Philadelphians down here that they moved to DC because it's slower and they felt they moved down South but close enough home for them. So at best it's Mid-Atlantic right now.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:39 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:

I would say yeah. Doing their own thing. I don't hear them represent that they are anything like either the North or the South. Put it like this. Black folks go visit their family in the South mostly in the Carolinas especially South Carolina from what I've observed. But I've heard from the mouth of New Yorkers and Philadelphians down here that they moved to DC because it's slower and they felt they moved down South but close enough home for them. So at best it's Mid-Atlantic right now.
I don't think DC is slower than Philly. Actually, I think it's the other way around. If only for the simple fact that there are more people crammed into a geographically smaller city during business hours. Also, not even NYC is that fast paced outside of Manhattan.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:

Nobody in DC identifies it as the south. Off the wall, hardly, those generalizations are there for a reason. DC is too secular, LGBT friendly, and liberal to be southern. I have been to southern cities before, the difference between DC and southern cities are worlds apart. Slower pace of life, MUCH WORSE public transit, accents, but above all far more evangelical and theocratic. DC is northern and mid-atlantic. That's how people here identify. You may disagree, but you don't live here. It's definitely not southern, and only the identification of the people who live here really counts at the end of the day, thankfully, most of the people voting are saying northeastern, so it looks like you are wrong. Like I said, if anything, it's anti-southern, the dislike of the south runs very deep here. It represents everything we dislike about the country. So calling DC southern is not only inaccurate, it's completely insulting to us. So no, DC is not part of the south, it's the furthest thing from it.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Nobody in DC identifies it as the south. Off the wall, hardly, those generalizations are there for a reason. DC is too secular, LGBT friendly, and liberal to be southern. I have been to southern cities before, the difference between DC and southern cities are worlds apart. Slower pace of life, MUCH WORSE public transit, accents, but above all far more evangelical and theocratic. DC is northern and mid-atlantic. That's how people here identify. You may disagree, but you don't live here. It's definitely not southern, and only the identification of the people who live here really counts at the end of the day, thankfully, most of the people voting are saying northeastern, so it looks like you are wrong. Like I said, if anything, it's anti-southern, the dislike of the south runs very deep here. It represents everything we dislike about the country. So calling DC southern is not only inaccurate, it's completely insulting to us. So no, DC is not part of the south, it's the furthest thing from it.
I do live here. Next time get the facts before you type. The person that is insulted is probably you. You don't speak for the 6 million people in the DC area. Nobody in DC that I know personally born and bred is not insulted by the South. They don't even think about this regional crap. They do not rep the South in DC. But they don't rep the North either. Again your generalizations on the South is off the deep end. It's a region of nearly 100 million people across dozens of states. It is not monolithic nor is much of it stuck in the mid 20th century.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I don't think DC is slower than Philly. Actually, I think it's the other way around. If only for the simple fact that there are more people crammed into a geographically smaller city during business hours. Also, not even NYC is that fast paced outside of Manhattan.
I'm just telling you what I've heard personally from Philadelphians and New Yorkers and I find most places of NY outside of Manhattan to be more fast paced than DC.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:54 PM

830 posts, read 1,018,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Wow, you have a skewed perspective of the south. With the exception of perhaps the deep south, the vast majority of US urban centers trend liberal and gay-friendly,etc. DC has stellar mass transit because a) it's the U.S. capital (Congress contributes 65% of capital costs - meaning your tax dollars) and b) the people of Virginia and Maryland pay for it with their tax dollars (DC contributes only 34% of the operating budget). For my part, I'll say I'm in DC constantly and I lived there not too long ago. I lived in NY and I have lived in various parts of Philly. And now, I live in Richmond. I agree that DC is the Mid-Atlantic and its connectedness as part of the NEC is undeniable. Still, even if you might not identify with it, DC retains some of that graceful southern DNA in it. It may not define the city, but I think it's hard to deny it as well. Be honest, Georgetown is full of good ol' boys. The city is friggin home to one of the most prominent HBCUs (Howard University), which figure strongly in southern black culture and identity as they are vestiges of the south. For the balance of its history it was a southern city and that can't be erased by mere transience and parvenu cosmopolitan character. Granted, I'm not saying DC is some hardcore southern town that you seem to be afraid of either, but there are some very distinctive cultural features and traits of DC that give it a distinctive "something" apart from the other cities in the NEC. The place is Mid-Atlantic and I think you can leave it at that. But don't act like there's nothing at all left that speaks to its history.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
I do live here. Next time get the facts before you type. The person that is insulted is probably you. You don't speak for the 6 million people in the DC area. Nobody in DC that I know personally born and bred is not insulted by the South. They don't even think about this regional crap. They do not rep the South in DC. But they don't rep the North either. Again your generalizations on the South is off the deep end. It's a region of nearly 100 million people across dozens of states. It is not monolithic nor is much of it stuck in the mid 20th century.
Yeah, says the person from Texas, now you know how the rest of the country feels about the crap hole known as the US south. Out of line, hardly, our country would be far better off without the south. Likewise I live in DC, and trust me nobody in this city appreciates the fact that our right to representation has been blocked by a large contingency of mostly southern senators and representatives. We know who the enemy is pretty damn well. If you wonder where the animosity for the south comes from in DC, and where it's grounded, well know you know. Never mind the fact southern reps and senators regularly stand in the way of our local laws based on their backwards theocratic and conservative culture that we do not share. So spare me the those in DC are not insulted by the south bit. Out of line...hardly, maybe when southern senators and reps finally stop standing in the way of home rule and representation in congress and the senate (DC statehood) it would not be out of line. But right now, it's perfectly in line. I am not off the deep end, and the political representation coming from southern states proves it, as well as their interference in the affairs of DC government. I am right where I should be...do you know what's off the deep end. The US south, and the authoritarian theocrat and gun nut conservatives they keep sending as there representatives to DC. In DC we judge you by the politicians you send, and the politicians you send to DC are complete nutjobs. We don't identify with the south, nor are we southern, we are northern, deal with it. Then again I am not from the backwards part of the country that keeps us back from progressing, you are. We see what the keep sending to our city, and how much of a pain they are for our home rule, and how much they go out of the way to block representation. So yeah...let's just say DC is a little bitter towards the south. We have every right to be, thus why we are very regional, and many of us don't identify as southern, and never will. Because it's very personal and political. Frankly, you are coming off as somebody who does not live in DC, but somebody who lives in the further out suburbs or exurbs. It's pretty clearly I have hit a sore spot for you, which I say, welcome to DC. Now you know how we really feel about southerners, especially Texans, which we especially dislike.

The only way the south is ever going to redeem itself in the eyes of DC is to quit interfering in our business, and pass DC statehood with full representation in congress. But I do not see that happening, because of nutjobs that the south keeps sending to DC.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
Wow, you have a skewed perspective of the south. With the exception of perhaps the deep south, the vast majority of US urban centers trend liberal and gay-friendly,etc. DC has stellar mass transit because a) it's the U.S. capital (Congress contributes 65% of capital costs - meaning your tax dollars) and b) the people of Virginia and Maryland pay for it with their tax dollars (DC contributes only 34% of the operating budget). For my part, I'll say I'm in DC constantly and I lived there not too long ago. I lived in NY and I have lived in various parts of Philly. And now, I live in Richmond. I agree that DC is the Mid-Atlantic and its connectedness as part of the NEC is undeniable. Still, even if you might not identify with it, DC retains some of that graceful southern DNA in it. It may not define the city, but I think it's hard to deny it as well. Be honest, Georgetown is full of good ol' boys. The city is friggin home to one of the most prominent HBCUs (Howard University), which figure strongly in southern black culture and identity as they are vestiges of the south. For the balance of its history it was a southern city and that can't be erased by mere transience and parvenu cosmopolitan character. Granted, I'm not saying DC is some hardcore southern town that you seem to be afraid of either, but there are some very distinctive cultural features and traits of DC that give it a distinctive "something" apart from the other cities in the NEC. The place is Mid-Atlantic and I think you can leave it at that. But don't act like there's nothing at all left that speaks to its history.
DC flew the union flag, not the confederate one. So yeah...it's history aligns with the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City