Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which region is the accurate place for DC and Baltimore in the 21st century?
Northeast 70 81.40%
South 16 18.60%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 12:20 PM

37,923 posts, read 42,168,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Places change all the time. What something's foundation was has no bearing on what it is today. Florida was similar to the Deep South a hundred years ago. Now it is vastly different. Texas too. Michigan and New York were nearly identical in the 1800s, now they are both noticeably different.
The characteristics I mentioned are present realities in DC. You're absolutely wrong; a place's history and foundation absolutely does count, and this is why DC is a good bit different from true Northeastern cities like Philly and NYC in terms of built environment, industry, cuisine, demographics (lack of European ethnic groups), etc. To completely disregard such factors is extremely disingenuous and demonstrates that you know very little about DC. It truly is somewhere between North and South.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
I always think it's one of the biggest fails ever of the census that they seriously classify Montana and Wyoming as the same region as California, yet Maryland and Delaware as a completely distinct one from Pennsylvania.

It's inability or unwillingness to update with the times is a complete joke.
A border has to exist somewhere though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 12:42 PM

366 posts, read 406,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The characteristics I mentioned are present realities in DC. You're absolutely wrong; a place's history and foundation absolutely does count, and this is why DC is a good bit different from true Northeastern cities like Philly and NYC in terms of built environment, industry, cuisine, demographics (lack of European ethnic groups), etc. To completely disregard such factors is extremely disingenuous and demonstrates that you know very little about DC. It truly is somewhere between North and South.

A border has to exist somewhere though.
There is no "border" here, it's all a part of the same country and it's not the slavery days, you can move around freely to any part of country technically. Even if DC was actually part of the South, in reality you can get to it faster from Boston in New England (which some would have you believe is a whole other planet) than you can from San Diego to San Francisco, cities actually part the same state.

To me it always demonstrates the small little world of typical Americans that they seriously make such a big deal of such little differences. You would think as if we were talking about London and Mumbai here...

Even the little differences of DC compared to the rest of the Northeast is hardly much at all in the grand scheme of things. As far as real life goes, hardly anybody would even care or even notice such things.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:59 PM

37,923 posts, read 42,168,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
There is no "border" here, it's all a part of the same country and it's not the slavery days, you can move around freely to any part of country technically. Even if DC was actually part of the South, in reality you can get to it faster from Boston in New England (which some would have you believe is a whole other planet) than you can from San Diego to San Francisco, cities actually part the same state.

To me it always demonstrates the small little world of typical Americans that they seriously make such a big deal of such little differences. You would think as if we were talking about London and Mumbai here...

Even the little differences of DC compared to the rest of the Northeast is hardly much at all in the grand scheme of things. As far as real life goes, hardly anybody would even care or even notice such things.
A very unnecessary diatribe over the term "border" which was being referred to in a geographical sense. And to imply that only Americans make geographic distinctions within their country is ludicrous...gimme a break dude.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:14 PM

366 posts, read 406,360 times
Quote:
A very unnecessary diatribe over the term "border" which was being referred to in a geographical sense. And to imply that only Americans make geographic distinctions within their country is ludicrous...gimme a break dude.
You're right, there are definitely people around other countries that give bickering lectures about things like industrial history, and protestant instead of catholic dominated presence and etc like you just did that nobody in the modern world cares about, their own country's version of it of course.

No arguments there from me. There are very few people in the globe interesting and cosmopolitan enough to travel around the world and look past what things are like in just their small little world.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:21 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,342,628 times
DC is not very northeastern at all , it is very southern. I would say Baltimore is pretty northeastern at this point but it wasnt always like that. DC is very southern, I can name 25 southern restaurants and bars in DC off hand from and whiskey and bourbon bars like Barrel or Bourbon or restaurants like vidalia, georgia browns, beucherts saloon. The food, the climate, the architecture in DC all seem very southern to me

Old 09-04-2015, 01:40 PM

317 posts, read 380,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbern100 View Post
DC is not very northeastern at all , it is very southern. I would say Baltimore is pretty northeastern at this point but it wasnt always like that. DC is very southern, I can name 25 southern restaurants and bars in DC off hand from and whiskey and bourbon bars like Barrel or Bourbon or restaurants like vidalia, georgia browns, beucherts saloon. The food, the climate, the architecture in DC all seem very southern to me
Lol so because they have a lot of restaurants that focus on southern cuisine they are just like every other quintessential southern city? Lol what a thick use of logic. I can name more than just 25 places that specialize in Italian food in the county my parents live in the middle of Florida. That means it must be just like NYC and the Jersey Shore then. Ha Ha. Maybe I should also look for 25 places in just any place that specialize in Mexican food. Then they will all be the same as LA or San Antonio...

So DC's architecture that often look like Brownstone Brooklyn "seem southern" to you? And so does it's climate that is much more similar to NYC and Philly then to say a Houston or New Orleans?

Old 09-04-2015, 02:27 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,245,451 times
Quote:
DC is not truly "northeastern in every way." It lacks an industrial history, a gritty core, European ethnic enclaves, and a dominant Catholic presence like Northeastern cities. Plus there are a lots of SFH neighborhoods, particularly in NE and SE, that look like they could be in Atlanta or Birmingham. DC has many contemporary characteristics of Northeastern cities (transit, politics, pace), but they exist on an unmistakably Southern foundation. This is why "mid-Atlantic" is truly the best term for it.
Actually DC did had ethnic European enclaves. I've explained this countless times on C-D along with some provided research Eye dug up but apparently people are too quick to forget. And there is a large amount of SFHs in DC but there's an even larger amount of rowhouses which is characteristic of the Northeast, and it's actually more of a rowhouse city by nature than Boston honestly. What's ATL's and Birmingham's excuse? Some of those SFH-dominated neighborhoods in DC that you speak of also look similar to the ones up in Baltimore and Philly too. It's often a mix of bungalows, semi-detached twin homes, brick or stone row homes, apartment buildings, duplexes, ranchers, cottages, Tudors, mansions, new construction row homes, contemporary town homes, some McMansions, and even the occasional triple decker. ATL and Birmingham have some of these but definitely not all of them. The only city in the South whose SFH neighborhoods have the aforementioned overall variety of homes that DC has is Richmond. You'll find similar SFH neighborhoods with the overall housing styles DC has up in Baltimore (especially the Northwest and Northeast parts of the city), Philadelphia (Northwest, Lower & Upper Northeast), and NYC (mostly some parts of Queens, Staten Island, and northern Bronx). STL and Chicago have similar SFH neighborhoods too.

Not that Eye care for organized religion but there's always been a good number of Catholics living in DC along with Baptists and Methodists. DC has some industrial areas (of course ppl don't know better) in parts of Northeast and Southeast but obviously it's not like the cities to our north or even Richmond for that matter. A good number of neighborhoods in Northeast, Southeast, and parts of Northwest do offer a certain level of grit but it's not as "out there" as say Baltimore or Philly. It's not Northeastern in every way but it's not Southern in any other way either. Eye agree, it's definitely the epitome of a Mid-Atlantic metropolis.

Last edited by tcave360; 09-04-2015 at 02:42 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 02:27 PM

742 posts, read 1,118,713 times
I was born and raised in DC and do not think of myself or my external environment as Southern or Northeastern. If I had to pick between the two, however, I would definitely pick Northeastern. It is a mix of both though. So there.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:38 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,245,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
I was born and raised in DC and do not think of myself or my external environment as Southern or Northeastern. If I had to pick between the two, however, I would definitely pick Northeastern. It is a mix of both though. So there.
Born and raised in Maryland, just across the city line in PG County to be specific, and Eye share the same sentiment.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:52 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,118,377 times
*with experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City