Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 10:16 PM

102 posts, read 101,075 times

Advertisements

NYC
DC
Philly
Boston
Baltimore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 10:20 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,471,404 times
NYC
Washington, DC
Boston
Philly
Baltimore
...the rest don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:59 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
NYC
Washington, DC
Boston
Philly
Baltimore
True, but it would be interesting to rank them for that very reason. So where would Wilmington, Newark, Jersey City, Stamford, Hartford, Providence, etc. fall after the top five?

Old 02-17-2016, 11:11 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
NYC
Washington, DC
Boston
Philly
Baltimore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
True, but it would be interesting to rank them for that very reason. So where would Wilmington, Newark, Jersey City, Stamford, Hartford, Providence, etc. fall after the top five?
In the grand scheme of things, the other cities do matter, thank you very much. The smaller satellite cities of the region provide the Big 5 with human capital/money and are secondary centers for arts, entertainment, sports, etc. They also may provide unique services that are unavailable in the larger, more restrictive/priced out cities. My own city of Wilmington, for example, is a tax haven for pretty much every reputable (and un-reputable) business in this country. A majority of the Fortune 500 and megabanks that we throw around in C-D pissing contests legally set up shop here. We're actually called the domestic Cayman Islands and it has angered some folks. I'm sure the other cities Mutiny listed, along with others like Atlantic City, Trenton, etc., provide similar unique services.

What Makes Delaware an Onshore Tax Haven | Tax Justice Blog

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/bu...aven.html?_r=0

http://itep.org/itep_reports/2015/12...p#.VsS4MbQrLcs

As far as overall ranking, I'm not sure how I'd rack and stack "the rest". I would think Providence and Jersey City or Newark would be next in line, followed perhaps in another tier by Bridgeport/Hartford/Stamford, Trenton, Portland and Wilmington, with Atlantic City and others in the last tier.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:12 AM

366 posts, read 404,468 times
I don't know why some people always forget Pittsburgh is a part of the Northeast.

Most people including the locals also consider it to be just like DC and Baltimore.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:21 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,175,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
I don't know why some people always forget Pittsburgh is a part of the Northeast.

Most people including the locals also consider it to be just like DC and Baltimore.
Because Pittsburgh is in its own corner on the edge of the Northeast, and is identified more strongly with the Appalachian culture imo. Plus, I think this thread has shifted to specifically ranking the Northeastern cities directly in the BosWash corridor, which is what most people initially think of when they think Northeast. I always forget Buffalo and Erie are also technically part of the Northeast for this very same reason.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:25 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
NYC
DC
Philly
Boston
Bmore

Old 02-17-2016, 11:34 AM

366 posts, read 404,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Because Pittsburgh is in its own corner on the edge of the Northeast, and is identified more strongly with the Appalachian culture imo. Plus, I think this thread has shifted to specifically ranking the Northeastern cities directly in the BosWash corridor, which is what most people initially think of when they think Northeast. I always forget Buffalo and Erie are also technically part of the Northeast for this very same reason.
It was kind of a rhetorical question. I was already aware of all that.

Appalachia is a subregion at best. There are actually people that debate whether Pittsburgh can truly be considered a part of it anyways.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:39 AM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheManWhoSoldtheWorld View Post
NYC
DC
Philly
Boston
Baltimore
I'm surprised you didn't put Boston on the bottom.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:46 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneKane View Post
You're right; I'm guilty of often equating "northeastern" with the northeastern corridor. Cities like Buffalo, Rochester, Springfield, etc. are often left out as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City