Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 03:24 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Charged Up DC Festival | Storey Park (DC) |

Charged Up DC Festival

Date: Saturday, October 24, 2015

Th'ankhs for the info! Hopefully this festival may be doable for me if Eye don't head up to Philly on the 24th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 03:34 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
That looks really cool and a nice mix of music. When do these dance parties at Coney Island tend to go down? Looks a fairly old crowd for the most part but the vibes look awesome.
I'm not sure. I learned about it rather recently after spending a Saturday evening at the amusement park. It apparently happens on Sundays now.

Age-wise, it seemed to be a mixture of everything. Hipsters, Blipsters, Yuppies, Buppies, local housing project residents, young, old, homeless, children, etc. My initial thought was that it was just weird because there was this huge crowd of people gyrating away on the Coney Island boardwalk.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:43 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
While Brooklyn skews more eccentric/artistic/Pan-African/blipster, Harlem skews more traditional African American/HBCU crowd. Much more of a "turn up" crowd.

Hav Plenty Brunch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNsdiI3xXhs

Old 10-07-2015, 06:14 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
While Brooklyn skews more eccentric/artistic/Pan-African/blipster, Harlem skews more traditional African American/HBCU crowd. Much more of a "turn up" crowd.

Hav Plenty Brunch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNsdiI3xXhs
Pretty good crowds in both parts of New York, Brooklyn especially seems more like my kind of scene based on your crowd description

Old 10-07-2015, 10:18 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
For those that are curious, this can give you an idea of what is the range in regards to being middle class in each state: What 'middle class' means in every US state - Business Insider

Old 10-08-2015, 04:11 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
For those that are curious, this can give you an idea of what is the range in regards to being middle class in each state: What 'middle class' means in every US state - Business Insider
Cost of living does play a large part. It would take less in Georgia as a state than in New York. However, one could argue that NYC skews things as well. I suspect that the cost of living in Atlanta would be higher than in Buffalo or Syracuse. Or take Texas vs Georgia. I suspect it takes slightly more to be middle class in Texas because there are far more cities of 1 million or more people.

Old 10-08-2015, 06:42 AM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Cost of living does play a large part. It would take less in Georgia as a state than in New York. However, one could argue that NYC skews things as well. I suspect that the cost of living in Atlanta would be higher than in Buffalo or Syracuse. Or take Texas vs Georgia. I suspect it takes slightly more to be middle class in Texas because there are far more cities of 1 million or more people.
Yeah and this why I used the state figure as a bar, because it helps to automatically adjust for COL even in relation to metro median household income. Like you said though, the COL will vary within a state as well. So, that does have to be kept in mind. Here's a pretty good chart about that: Here are the most and least expensive cities to live in

Old 10-08-2015, 07:03 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I think it depends on what city in Texas you live in. I know that Austin and Dallas are more expensive than Houston and San Antonio. I even think that Houston and San Antonio are cheaper than Atlanta or at the same level. However, I definitely know that your money goes a lot further in Texas, especially in Houston, given the high paychecks compared to the COL.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:45 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not sure. I learned about it rather recently after spending a Saturday evening at the amusement park. It apparently happens on Sundays now.

Age-wise, it seemed to be a mixture of everything. Hipsters, Blipsters, Yuppies, Buppies, local housing project residents, young, old, homeless, children, etc. My initial thought was that it was just weird because there was this huge crowd of people gyrating away on the Coney Island boardwalk.
Lol you mean kind of like this years Afro Punk crowd in BK? Minus the LGBT base that took over.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:54 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
Compare Cost of Living Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

In three simple steps we'll provide a cost of living comparison. Just tell us your current city, where you'd like to move and enter a salary amount.

The comparison includes food, housing, utilities, transportation and health cost of living numbers.
You can enter your salary and our built-in Salary Calculator will determine how much more (or less) you need to maintain your same standard of living.

A salary of $50,000 in Atlanta, Georgia should increase to $50,723 in Houston, Texas

A salary of $50,000 in Atlanta, Georgia should increase to $54,907 in Dallas, Texas

A salary of $50,000 in Atlanta, Georgia could decrease to $48,709 in Charlotte, North Carolina

A salary of $50,000 in Atlanta, Georgia should increase to $86,777 in New York, New York

A salary of $50,000 in Atlanta, Georgia should increase to $79,545 in Washington, District of Columbia

A salary of $50,000 in Atlanta, Georgia should increase to $84,452 in Los Angeles, California

A salary of $50,000 in Atlanta, Georgia should increase to $79,700 in Seattle, Washington

A salary of $50,000 in Atlanta, Georgia should increase to $125,310 in San Francisco, California

Last edited by Yac; 10-09-2015 at 06:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City