Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 06:30 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,373,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Not even. Certainly not with all those PVAM stickers on cars everywhere.
What makes you think they're all from Dallas? Many could be alumni from other areas of Texas (or wherever) but just moved to DFW for employment. I noticed many black DFW students end up at UT Arlington. It's even referred to as that area's pseudo HBCU.

Besides, PVAM isn't even IN Houston. It's main campus is in a tiny town 50 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 07:16 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
What makes you think they're all from Dallas? Many could be alumni from other areas of Texas (or wherever) but just moved to DFW for employment. I noticed many black DFW students end up at UT Arlington. It's even referred to as that area's pseudo HBCU.

Besides, PVAM isn't even IN Houston. It's main campus is in a tiny town 50 miles away.
PV is in the Houston area. It's close enough to Houston to be considered Houston, if no one (which is most people) knows where it is. It has a GREAT influence on Houston and contributes greatly to the economy when the kids graduate. Those kids travel into Houston or nearby Cypress for most of their entertainment, shopping, etc.

Also, PV is less of a "commuter" school than TSU, so it's much easier for a Dallas native or any other native outside of the Houston area to attend PV right off the back because of a greater supply of housing. As a result, you will see more Dallas residents at PV than at TSU. I know several Dallas people here because of PV.

What Gunion Powder is saying still stands: black people in DFW, whether from there or not, will have more association with Houston because of the HBCUs.

BTW, I always run into a visiting black person from DFW (and California and Atlanta; Louisiana is a given) down here. I'm sure black Houstonians go up there, but I don't hear them talking about taking a trip to DFW; they would take a trip to Atlanta.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:42 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,302 times
Screw that black mecca thing... If we want to be successful in every level, we should be able to go somewhere where there is not lot of black people and succeed... With that #Oscarsowhite thing we say that we want to be recognize yet when we move we prefer place "made for black people"... Either we segregate ourselves and the oscar so white thing is unjustified or we desegregate and fight to change the oscar stuff.... By looking at only black mecca, people pass on lot of opportunities because they will go and melt with people that are 100% like them, and in the balck culture, tech, finance, astronomy ect.. .are not hot topic... Get the hell out of your comfort zone... Instead of looking at place "made" for black people, why don't we make other place good for us too... Good for black people.. Hip hop radio? Club? Why not high paying job, safe neighbourhood, good school... You like hip hop" Go on youtube, or go on datpiff... so for me a black mecca is any place where there re high wages job... SF, Boston, NYC, Seattle ect...

And instead of crying for not being hired.. F@#ing create a business, we can just keep crying while every other "race" are moving forward

Old 01-27-2016, 09:05 AM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post

Here are the demographics for UT-Arlington: The University of Texas at Arlington - College

Old 01-27-2016, 09:27 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,750,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
A good bit of Black Houstonians are from Louisiana. It's very very common to find a black Houstonian with ties to Louisiana.

Blacks from New Orleans always come to the Galleria to shop. That whole I-10 corridor in Louisiana is Houston's pull. Southern University's largest alumni chapter is in Houston. After Hurricane Katrina, the 2005 Bayou Classic was held in Houston. There is a lot of back-and-forth between Houston and Louisiana.
Yeah Houston is the closest big city for people in Louisiana to move to for better opportunities

Old 01-27-2016, 09:29 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Yeah Houston is the closest big city for people in Louisiana to move to for better opportunities
For folks in north Louisiana, it would be Dallas.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:35 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,750,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
For folks in north Louisiana, it would be Dallas.
Yeah I meant for people in New Orleans.

Im not sure which city black people in Shreveport prefer since its around 155 miles to Dallas and 185 miles to Houston even though Dallas is more of a straight shot

Old 01-27-2016, 09:49 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:

Im not sure which city black people in Shreveport prefer since its around 155 miles to Dallas and 185 miles to Houston even though Dallas is more of a straight shot
It could be split, who knows.

Most of Louisiana and black Louisiana live within "Houston's pull" (I-10 Corridor, Arcadiana, Florida Parishes, etc.).

Old 01-27-2016, 09:51 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:

Shreveport is an hour closer to Dallas than it is to Houston.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:33 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:

It's Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City