Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 09:38 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Yeah but his point stands. Houston is as much a party spot as DC and even Atlanta. Unless you're Miami or New Orleans, your city isn't a party city when it comes to Southern cities. People from around the country go to Miami and NO to party. Same isn't said for the other unless an event occurs. Fieldm seems to overrate how he thinks Atlanta is as a party city.
I agree that Houston isn't a party city aligned with Miami; like you said, he overrates Atlanta, and I was pointing out that Houston and Atlanta are no different as far as a "black party city." Many black Houstonians see no difference between Atlanta and Houston, except that Houston is more laidback and "welcoming."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 09:50 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I made no mention of Atlanta.

Overall, the only cities I'd call "party cities" in totality are Miami, New Orleans, and Las Vegas. Atlanta is more of a Black party city and even then, not as much as it used to be in the post-Freaknik/Buckhead Village era. The nature of partying/nightlife is changing in a lot of cities as they continue to develop and gentrify.
And honestly once you get the age of 25, who cares. If a city has a bunch of lounges and bars like Houston and DC does, I'm good.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:51 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I agree that Houston isn't a party city aligned with Miami; like you said, he overrates Atlanta, and I was pointing out that Houston and Atlanta are no different has far as a black party city. Many black Houstonians see no difference between Atlanta and Houston, except that Houston is more laidback and "welcoming."
That's so far from the truth lol. I can name 20 spots that people can go to tonight and chill and be around other professionals at close at 3am. I can name 10+ ratchet spots that close at 4am. I can name 15+ strip clubs. I can name several spots with live music tonight. Plus its the hair show weekend so it will be over 65k additional people here ready to pay. Brother man from the 5th floor, its more than having a clubs to make nightlife good. Its about having a large variety, good dj's, new options to force the competition to step it up, big events in the city to bring more people out, black nightclub business owners to stretch out the nightlife additional days throughout the week (if you need an explanation let me know), promoters that will push the envelope,etc. Again, tonight for instance a DJ is having a party and is play all music from Dr. Dre (this is what I'm talking about regarding pushing the envelope). Another event tonight someone is having an art show and a house party combined for one event.

I know you want to make yourself feel better by saying Houston and Atlanta nightlife is equal but its far from the truth if you really know what is going on in the city.

NIGHTLIFE – Atlanta Event Listing Concerts Festivals Clubs Entertainment

If you look at that site you will just see more options which equals better nightlife

Old 02-19-2016, 10:02 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
I agree that Houston isn't a party city aligned with Miami; like you said, he overrates Atlanta, and I was pointing out that Houston and Atlanta are no different as far as a "black party city." Many black Houstonians see no difference between Atlanta and Houston, except that Houston is more laidback and "welcoming."
There's still a difference in their Black nightlife scenes, but it's not as drastic as it used to be. Being a bigger center of music and entertainment and more large-scale Black events, Atlanta still has the edge but overall it has mellowed out a bit.

Quote:
And honestly once you get the age of 25, who cares. If a city has a bunch of lounges and bars like Houston and DC does, I'm good.
This is true.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
That's so far from the truth lol. I can name 20 spots that people can go to tonight and chill and be around other professionals at close at 3am. I can name 10+ ratchet spots that close at 4am. I can name 15+ strip clubs. I can name several spots with live music tonight. Plus its the hair show weekend so it will be over 65k additional people here ready to pay. Brother man from the 5th floor, its more than having a clubs to make nightlife good. Its about having a large variety, good dj's, new options to force the competition to step it up, big events in the city to bring more people out, black nightclub business owners to stretch out the nightlife additional days throughout the week (if you need an explanation let me know), promoters that will push the envelope,etc. Again, tonight for instance a DJ is having a party and is play all music from Dr. Dre (this is what I'm talking about regarding pushing the envelope). Another event tonight someone is having an art show and a house party combined for one event.

I know you want to make yourself feel better by saying Houston and Atlanta nightlife is equal but its far from the truth if you really know what is going on in the city.

If you look at that site you will just see more options which equals better nightlife
You know more about what is going in Atlanta because you're there. He knows more about what goes on in Houston because he's there. The fact that you think one is so much above the other without you even experiencing much of anything in that other place makes your comment full of nothing but bias. He can post the same list and the same similar type of site and you'll still be obstinate on your position.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
I made no mention of Atlanta.

Overall, the only cities I'd call "party cities" in totality are Miami, New Orleans, and Las Vegas. Atlanta is more of a Black party city and even then, not as much as it used to be in the post-Freaknik/Buckhead Village era. The nature of partying/nightlife is changing in a lot of cities as they continue to develop and gentrify.
I don't know if it ever was as big as Freaknik and I'm going to assume it wasn't but during the height of the Kappa Beach Party days, the party was mostly in Galveston but it started out in Houston and from what older people use to tell me, Houston was wild that night before everything went to Galveston. Those days are long gone though. Houston was a pretty big club city back in the day. It just never got the notoriety. Still doesn't today.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post

We have the same thing! We have the same thing! We have the same thing!

Old 02-19-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
There's still a difference in their Black nightlife scenes, but it's not as drastic as it used to be. Being a bigger center of music and entertainment and more large-scale Black events, Atlanta still has the edge but overall it has mellowed out a bit.

This is true.
How do you know?

Old 02-19-2016, 10:13 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
Quote:
We have the same thing! We have the same thing! We have the same thing!
So in your opinion is Houston nightlife the same as DC?

We also have 8 hip hop and r&b radio stations which helps promote nightlife

Last edited by fieldm; 02-19-2016 at 11:04 AM..

Old 02-19-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I don't know if it ever was as big as Freaknik and I'm going to assume it wasn't but during the height of the Kappa Beach Party days, the party was mostly in Galveston but it started out in Houston and from what older people use to tell me, Houston was wild that night before everything went to Galveston. Those days are long gone though. Houston was a pretty big club city back in the day. It just never got the notoriety. Still doesn't today.
I'd never known this.

I guess Houston is more tamed now. Most of the nightlife is geared towards bottle service and VIP sections. Most of the clubs are fun, but are ratchet and wild; they are mostly in the hood and are out of the "know" compared to Empire, Engine Room, Pure, etc. You won't find such clubs on the party websites.

I know they have this big black gay pride thing in Galveston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City