Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2016, 07:19 AM

93,235 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Don't forget the Houston schools, Prairie View and Texas Southern. These schools are the HBCUs closest to California.
The often forgotten about Langston University in Oklahoma is also one of the closest HBCU's to CA. It is in the OKC metro, a state university and is the only HBCU in the state.

Langston the town is about 94% Black and as a Did You Know, it was founded a Black Upstate NYer from Troy(near Albany), Edward McCabe.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-30-2016 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 07:33 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropack-man View Post
don't seem as popular. I think Tuskegee and Fisk might be more popular among Cali folk.
Honestly, I don't be putting Houston on a pedestal, but I've heard this from students who attend both schools. I've heard that Prairie View's biggest populations (not counting Houston for obvious reasons)come from Dallas, California, and Michigan. I've also heard that Texas Southern's biggest populations come from Dallas, California, and Louisiana. I've met tons of California kids from TSU who go to my church. My friend from LA graduated from TSU as well as our mutual associate.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The often forgotten about Langston University in Oklahoma is also one of the closest HBCU's to CA. It is in the OKC metro, a state university and is the only HBCU in the state.
Yea. I know about Langston.

To add some connection to my claim, often times, HBCUs' student demographics reflect the reversal of the Great Migration. At my school in Alabama, the biggest out of state populations came from Detroit, Chicago, and Cleveland; most of those kids have family in Alabama. At the Houston HBCUs, many of those kids are from California because of this reason, as well.

Old 06-30-2016, 07:46 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:

To add some connection to my claim, often times, HBCUs' student demographics reflect the reversal of the Great Migration. At my school in Alabama, the biggest out of state populations came from Detroit, Chicago, and Cleveland; most of those kids have family in Alabama. At the Houston HBCUs, many of those kids are from California because of this reason, as well.
This is true, but I think the "Holy Trinity" of HBCUs--Howard, Morehouse, and Spelman--attract students from all over for the most part. I think this is also true to a lesser extent for a few others with a storied history and big name recognition, like Tuskegee and Fisk. Otherwise, you're right that Great Migration trends apply to a large extent, at least for the undergrad population.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is true, but I think the "Holy Trinity" of HBCUs--Howard, Morehouse, and Spelman--attract students from all over for the most part. I think this is also true to a lesser extent for a few others with a storied history and big name recognition, like Tuskegee and Fisk. Otherwise, you're right that Great Migration trends apply to a large extent, at least for the undergrad population.
Agreed! Tuskegee has a large California population too. My cousin was this past year's SGA president.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Agreed! Tuskegee has a large California population too. My cousin was this past year's SGA president.
I have a good friend originally from San Francisco who originally went to Tuskegee before transferring back to a school in California.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I have a good friend originally from San Francisco who originally went to Tuskegee before transferring back to a school in California.
Yeah, it's technically out in the middle of nowhere. It's another culture shock to a Californian besides the southern culture shock. LOL

Old 06-30-2016, 09:02 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:

This is largely true.

Quote:
I think you misspelled "Hampton" somewhere in there.

Quote:
FAMU also has a large California population

Old 06-30-2016, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I think you misspelled "Hampton" somewhere in there.
Hampton is a good school for sure, but it doesn't quite have the cachet or prestige of Howard, Morehouse, or Spelman. It's top 5 though I'd say.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:08 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,957,035 times
Quote:
Hampton is a good school for sure, but it doesn't quite have the cachet or prestige of Howard, Morehouse, or Spelman. It's top 5 though I'd say.
I feel like Spelman has lost some of it's cachet, and the Big-3 are Howard, Morehouse and Hampton, now. A generation or two ago, Tuskeegee would have been up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City