Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 11:06 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Fort Greene was really like that from roughly 1998-2003
Harper Stewart lived in Chicago. Which neighborhood did he live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 11:29 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm sure, but a walkscore of 65 to 70 simply isn't that good of a neighborhood. At least from an urbanity/walkability perspective. Shepherd Park in DC is a wonderful neighborhood in terms of safety and educational attainment, but few people without kids and under the age of 40 are going to find a SFH-dominated neighborhood with few bars and restaurants that appealing. When it comes to the urban amenities and walkability so cherished by C-D posters, there are few Blacks actually enjoying that type of lifestyle.
Well I relaxed it a bit to include some Sunbelt cities in the mix. Obviously there are none that will have neighborhoods with high walkability scores like the East Coast/Midwestern cities along with a sizable population of Black professionals.

Given our history in the urban cores of American cities, it's easy to see why we opt for the suburbs 8 times out of 10 for the most part.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Given our history in the urban cores of American cities, it's easy to see why we opt for the suburbs 8 times out of 10 for the most part.
I don't know if that many young Black professionals are opting out of these neighborhoods. I think most would want to live in a neighborhood with more within walking distance but are priced out of those neighborhoods.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I don't know if that many young Black professionals are opting out of these neighborhoods. I think most would want to live in a neighborhood with more within walking distance but are priced out of those neighborhoods.
I'm not entirely sure about that. Even out in the suburbs where there tend to be walkable town centers and commercial strips, most Black professionals seem to still opt for traditional neighborhoods/new subdivisions.

Old 08-25-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure about that. Even out in the suburbs where there tend to be walkable town centers and commercial strips, most Black professionals seem to still opt for traditional neighborhoods/new subdivisions.
Those areas tend to be expensive as well. Since you're living in the DC area now, go check out Post Bethesda, Rockville Town Centre, etc. and see how affordable those places are. A lot of those developments are just as expensive as housing in DC.

There are a lot of young professionals in places like Russet, Greenbelt, Laurel, etc. The rents there are about half of what you'd pay to live near U Street. If most could afford to live in a development like the Louis, they probably would.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:08 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
A good high percentage of everything inside the beltway in DC is expensive. You have 1 bedroom apartments at Morgan BLVD Metro Station in freaking Landover that cost over two grand. You want affordability in the metro area, head to Woodbridge and Manasses. Also, yes, Rockville and Chevy Chase prices are insane.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Those areas tend to be expensive as well. Since you're living in the DC area now, go check out Post Bethesda, Rockville Town Centre, etc. and see how affordable those places are. A lot of those developments are just as expensive as housing in DC.
Oh I'm very well aware of that; my part-time job has me in Rockville and Bethesda all the time. But I was mainly thinking about the more affordable Sunbelt metros; for instance, in Atlanta, young Black professionals would opt for a SFH in a newer subdivision in say, Lawrenceville or Marietta, as opposed to a condo or townhouse in or near those downtowns. Even in Laurel, they would be more likely to live on Contee Rd as opposed to Main Street.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
A good high percentage of everything inside the beltway in DC is expensive. You have 1 bedroom apartments at Morgan BLVD Metro Station in freaking Landover that cost over two grand. You want affordability in the metro area, head to Woodbridge and Manasses. Also, yes, Rockville and Chevy Chase prices are insane.
Actually, you can find affordable places within the Beltway in decent neighborhoods but they won't be among the newest developments with all the amenities. Everyone is always surprised when I tell them that I live in Silver Spring in a 1BR aparment, by myself, with rent under 1K/month, but it's an older property. It seems people here would rather get two and three roommates first in a new apartment building, either in the city or the suburbs, before doing that.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:13 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Actually, you can find affordable places within the Beltway in decent neighborhoods but they won't be among the newest developments with all the amenities. Everyone is always surprised when I tell them that I live in Silver Spring in a 1BR aparment, by myself, with rent under 1K/month, but it's an older property. It seems people here would rather get two and three roommates first in a new apartment building, either in the city or the suburbs, before doing that.
Yeah that's why I used the qualifier "high percentage". I would like to live in the city (which I do but working on getting a new apartment) or close to it at least. But not willing to do the roommate thing ever again. Some people also opt for the shared housing thing.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Rent that's under $1,000 is a rarity inside of the Beltway and particularly in Silver Spring. But then again, "Silver Spring" can be very broadly defined. According to the Census, the median monthly housing cost in the Silver Spring CPD is $1,556 and only 17% of apartments there rent for less than $1,000. Even in Takoma Park, which has a large immigrant population (and consists of largely older apartments), the median housing cost is $1,369 per month. So you should definitely consider yourself part of the lucky few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City