Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 11:25 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
OK. I guess there will be no more shopping meccas (NYC), food meccas (San Fran, NYC, Chicago), no more sports meccas (Boston), college football meccas (Alabama), A List celebrity meccas (LA, NYC) anymore going forward.
If you don't see how race is different from those things, I don't know what to tell you.

It's just like sexual orientation; with the LGBT community being more mainstream now and gays attaining more rights, being a gay mecca simply doesn't have the same sort of importance it had when gays were more marginalized in society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 11:57 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you don't see how race is different from those things, I don't know what to tell you.

It's just like sexual orientation; with the LGBT community being more mainstream now and gays attaining more rights, being a gay mecca simply doesn't have the same sort of importance it had when gays were more marginalized in society.
Exactly. Races can mix, department stores do not. Rich gay people can easily live in the same neighborhoods as rich straight people and rich black people. They don't have to seek out a "gayborhood."

Old 09-15-2015, 01:06 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I don't see the point. People use this term to describe Atlanta and DC already and your "requirements" pretty much make sure that those are the only two places that qualify. I mean, come on, 20 middle-class black neighborhoods? 4 hiphop radio stations? WTH.

What's the point? Black people should be able to go anywhere and be successful - any city. Whether that is really true or not, why label a city something that will alienate those that aren't a part of that group? We know they are black meccas, or whatever that really means - I think it is a silly term, so why boast it?
I don't think it has so much to do with alienating a particular group. It has to do with giving accurate information on what the city has to offer particular groups. Using the term Black Mecca only helps Atlanta in this respect. Blacks or anyone with interests/associations will be able to come to the city and experience what they are looking for. Black Mecca is only one facet of Atlanta's many positive qualities, and shouldn't be looked down upon.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:27 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,759,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I don't think it has so much to do with alienating a particular group. It has to do with giving accurate information on what the city has to offer particular groups. Using the term Black Mecca only helps Atlanta in this respect. Blacks or anyone with interests/associations will be able to come to the city and experience what they are looking for. Black Mecca is only one facet of Atlanta's many positive qualities, and shouldn't be looked down upon.
I think there's more possibilities than looking down on it. We aren't exactly breaking new ground here. The people who are familiar with this term already knew this about Atlanta. The point of this thread was to point out what makes it special to be deserving of that term and to make sure no one sullies its significance by daring to associate another lesser city with that title. Sounds to me as if this is looking down on other cities that have too many wing places or not enough flashy people wearing designer clothes or driving high end vehicles.

If you want to do something positive, perhaps finding other places across the country that have these qualities that would make a young black professional feel comfortable if they aren't fortunate enough to live in the Mecca.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:43 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,872,623 times
I don't know I think people are making too much of big deal about this whole thing, and getting roared about any topic that deals with race.

To OP honestly not a lot of cities out side of the country's larger cities are going to have that complete list.

To the subject of looking down on other cities, don't think that was the point at least not the intent. Back to the OP, I get the whole setting a standard thing, but just because xyz city is being called a new mecca, doesn't mean it's a replacement or is at the same level as xyz establish cities, it just means those cities are emerging as one.

Last, what other cities have been called black mecca's other then the one's you mentioned?

Last edited by drrckmtthws; 09-15-2015 at 02:10 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 03:51 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post

Last, what other cities have been called black mecca's other then the one's you mentioned?
Philadelphia and Chiago have yet to be mentioned; I'll argue those cities are as much black meccas as NYC, Atlanta and D.C. Other areas might include Hampton Roads as well as North Carolina's major metros, for starters.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:08 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
"Future black mecca." K.

So, if you lay out a list of requirements that only a couple of places meet that are already "black meccas" you get to be an up and coming, "future" black mecca - even though that place would be the same as the current black meccas.

I'm confused.

But it doesn't matter - by the time that happens, ATL and DC will probably have done something more to make them Mega-meccas and the goalposts will get pushed again.
DC seats the first (and probably in our lifetimes only) black president, so it's a mega-mega-mega mecca in 2015 lol

Old 09-15-2015, 04:16 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Philadelphia and Chiago have yet to be mentioned; I'll argue those cities WERE as much black meccas as NYC, Atlanta and D.C.
Fixed that for you...

Old 09-15-2015, 04:34 PM

93,167 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Fixed that for you...
Out of the 2, Philly is the better fit and meets most of the criteria.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:36 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Philadelphia and Chicago have yet to be mentioned; I'll argue those cities are as much black meccas as NYC, Atlanta and D.C. Other areas might include Hampton Roads as well as North Carolina's major metros, for starters.
Chicago is WAY too segregated and racially divided between blacks and whites to be considered a black mecca. Anytime white Chicagoans see a black person outside of the Southside or Westside, they look at them and treat them like, "Who let you out of the hood?!?" even if they are clearly professional, or a tourist.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 09-15-2015 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City