Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 02:43 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
If I were more familiar with Savannah, I get the feeling I would prefer it over both places, but I simply don't know it well enough.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that Atlanta and Augusta are equals, but the latter had more soul and character that made up for its lack of diversity and amenities. It is, after all, the much older city. Even natural attributes like the Savannah River and Phinizy Swamp had a haunting mystique to them.

This is besides the topic, though, since Atlanta is obviously the only of the two that could call itself a mecca.
Augusta may have more soul and character on a pound for pound basis since it's 10 times smaller but overall???? Atlanta wins that hands down and it's not even close. I like Augusta's riverwalk but I'm not so sure what's so haunting about the river, at least along that stretch which is the most accessible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 04:31 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Augusta may have more soul and character on a pound for pound basis since it's 10 times smaller but overall???? Atlanta wins that hands down and it's not even close.
What if we just compared the city propers of each, since they're about the same size?

Old 10-03-2015, 04:41 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
What if we just compared the city propers of each, since they're about the same size?
That doesn't really change anything; most of the neighborhoods/districts with the most character/soul in metro Atlanta are in the city of Atlanta (the most notable exceptions would be downtown Decatur, downtown Marietta, and Vinings). Augusta just has downtown; Atlanta has downtown, Midtown, Castleberry Hill, L5P, Edgewood, Sweet Auburn, West End, Inman Park, Grant Park, East Atlanta Village, and a couple more I'm forgetting. I'm not including purely residential neighborhoods here, but those that include historic commercial districts.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:57 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It has a higher chance of having more educated Black people (and it does). But the Black people here aren't more educated. That's partly due to there being so many immigrants in the region but it is what it is.

It is interesting to contrast Miami, with NYC. Both having large numbers of RECENT black immigrants, but it does appear as if blacks in NYC are better off, and certainly earn higher wages, though this is offset by high living costs.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Yes, you can.

I know that we as blacks can achieve any and everywhere; take a look at the income for blacks in whiter metros.

To make such a statement you would have to adjust each black population for its characteristics. So can one compare blacks in an area where there is no native black population, and the blacks living there are professional transients, attracted by specific opportunities, with areas with large native black populations?

That is often what the high incomes reflect.

I think that blacks in Alaska have some of the highest incomes. That certainly doesn't mean that Alaska offers the best opportunities. It means that blacks with specific characteristics are attracted there, and will clearly do well. Less educated blacks will less likely live there, so the median household income will then appear high.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:19 PM

[quote=green_mariner;41419630. Why aren't the educated, hardworking Blacks staying in higher numbers? Why are the hood rats staying,.[/quote]

Liberals aren't as "liberal" as people often think. Wisconsin might offer a welcome package of social safety nets, which encourages the non working poor to remain. It might be less open to black professionals (not being a diverse region, at least at the professional level), so even TX (NOT liberal) might offer more appeal for black professionals.

And there again one might need to look at the migratory patterns of all professionals. Folks tend to move to warmer climes, all things being equal. WI/MN definitely score poorly on that score. Tons of people are leaving Canada for FL, even though one CANNOT argue that Toronto is a bad place to live.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:26 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Try Rosedale Park and North Rosedale Park also in Detroit and maybe some areas in Southfield. I also wonder how Hyde Park in Chicago is doing and some of the south Chicago burbs.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:32 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
To make such a statement you would have to adjust each black population for its characteristics. So can one compare blacks in an area where there is no native black population, and the blacks living there are professional transients, attracted by specific opportunities, with areas with large native black populations?

That is often what the high incomes reflect.

I think that blacks in Alaska have some of the highest incomes. That certainly doesn't mean that Alaska offers the best opportunities. It means that blacks with specific characteristics are attracted there, and will clearly do well. Less educated blacks will less likely live there, so the median household income will then appear high.
A lot of times, such places have a strong military presence. However, you do find "regular" Black residents in those areas as well. I actually lived in one of those areas during time in the military. This area actually had long time Black residents, but the Black population really grew when the military base expanded. You can find Black people with a range of incomes, but the median household income for Black households is higher than every group except for Asians in the area and is right at the national median household income figure.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I've asked about whether or not a Black person can succeed in any(and I mean ANY) city. Now there is another thing to look at. What are YOU the individual looking for in a place? What makes YOU the individual happy?

Good question. Some want to be around black people. Some don't care, and will give more points for quality of life. Some like a strong social scene. Others are drawn to places where they have the most opportunities to enhance their careers, and this might well be a city like Austin, instead of a black metro like ATL. Austin being the only major Southern metro area which is LOSING its black population.

In addition what makes one area a mecca for American raised blacks (AAs, and US raised children of black immigrants) might not offer that appeal for black immigrants. The latter will seek out places where blacks do well, but will also seek out where people from their cultural backgrounds also settle. Houston might be great for Nigerian professionals, especially engineers, but maybe less so for black Caribbean professionals.

What tilts me to DC and NYC is that they not only offer strong career opportunities across the board, and strong and diverse black social networks, but that there is also a critical mass of foreign born black professionals to impact how native born black professionals might view them. A native black NYer will be less thrown off by a black professional with a foreign accent than one from Denver (with its much lower black immigrant population).

The black immigrant population is now an indelible part of Black USA, given that it is now 10% of the overall black population, i.e. equivalent to the black population of the NY MSA. So one cannot talk about US blacks, without reference to these diverse populations. And this ONLY includes foreign born NON HISPANIC blacks.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:37 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Try Rosedale Park and North Rosedale Park also in Detroit and maybe some areas in Southfield. I also wonder how Hyde Park in Chicago is doing and some of the south Chicago burbs.
Rosedale Park/North Rosedale Park are pretty good, considering the COL of the area and median incomes at the state, city, metro and national levels: Census Tract 543000 in Wayne County, Michigan

Census Tract 542900 in Wayne County, Michigan

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosedale_Park,_Detroit
Rosedale Park Improvement Association - Home
North Rosedale Park Civic Association
North Rosedale Park - My Grandmont Rosedale
Rosedale Park - My Grandmont Rosedale

From what I saw, Hyde Park had 2 predominately Black census tracts, with one that is above the national figure and around the state figure for median HH income and the other was below the national figure, let alone the state and metro figures: Census Tract 836300 in Cook County, Illinois

Census Tract 410500 in Cook County, Illinois

Hyde Park Chamber of Commerce - Chicago
Chicago Hyde Park Real Estate | listings, restaurants, shopping, maps, and more
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Park,_Chicago
Hyde Park - Explore Hyde Park

However, from what I saw, there are a few census tracts in the Beverly(Hills)/Morgan Park area on the Southwest Side of Chicago that have median HH incomes above pretty much every major level: Census Tract 720700 in Cook County, Illinois

Census Tract 750200 in Cook County, Illinois

Census Tract 720200 in Cook County, Illinois

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgan_Park,_Chicago
BAPA - About Beverly Hills/Morgan Park

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-03-2015 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City