Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2015, 12:01 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Dallas' north areas; are they on the same scale as 1960, Humble, Atascocita, and parts of Spring and North Houston?
Well, there is no area north of downtown Dallas that is as Black in number as Northeast Houston, but there are notable amounts of single professionals and families in areas like Addison, Richardson, and even Plano.

One thing Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas all have in common is the fact that Blacks (really minorities as a whole) are largely absent from the most coveted, old money districts in each city like West Buckhead, West U Place, the Park Cities, etc. It's time for that to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
When people make this claim, it's always funny to me, because speaking generally and not just in terms of Black people, of the two cities, Dallas is the city that has for years gotten all the national spotlight and media attention while Houston is ignored.

I guess I just don't care to think in terms of "which city is better for BLACK people" when I see a city like Dallas that is great all around these days for ALL people who are looking for the opportunities that it offers; In that regard, being Black never comes into the equation in my mind because I'm too busy enjoying all that the city has to offer and all of its opportunities.
Yeah I agree. For as much as people talk about Houston and the advantages it has over DFW. There are only 80 thousand more blacks in Houston than DFW. That's a small tow difference. It's not like Atlanta which has 800,000 more than Houston which is equal to a Fort Worth.

875 posts, read 1,662,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I'm living in Cedar Hill, Lancaster, DeSoto, Duncanville, and whatever area over Cleveland, Waller County, and the likes. Sorry.
Agreed. I really like Cedar Hill.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:02 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Well, I apologize if this offended you. I mean, that same tired old article (Blacks Wary of Dallas) and that YouTube video are types of bad press that Houston doesn't get compared to Dallas. When a black person doesn't like Dallas, folks always recommend Houston.
You didn't offend me. I was just saying that it stands to reason that if Dallas is the city that overall gets way more national attention and media spotlight than Houston, then it would stand to reason that black people still do give it lots of attention along with everybody else who is giving it attention. Let's not forget that more Black people have actually been moving to Dallas than Houston, even if you are of the opinion that Houston is so much better than Dallas for Blacks.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:02 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
I'm living in Cedar Hill, Lancaster, DeSoto, Duncanville, and whatever area over Cleveland, Waller County, and the likes. Sorry.
I wouldn't want to live in Cleveland or Waller County either, but give me 1960, Spring and surrounding areas over Mo City; they look and feel like black suburbs or just suburbs in general that one would find in the Piedmont areas. Shoot, give me Conroe.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:04 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times
Quote:
Houston always had its name out there. Trust most Blacks know about Houston. Atlanta is in a perfect location to go along with their offerings. Atlanta is a day trip away from Chicago, DC, Philadelphia, New York, Miami. Locations where people could move to and still not be more than a day away from their family. Not to mention the History that it has with the rest of the South.

DFW is more popular for Midwestern and Western Blacks than Houston. Lots of Black Detroiters in the metroplex. Houston is more popular with Southern and Eastern Blacks than DFW. I could be wrong but Houston has more educated Blacks than DFW. However, many feel the DFW areas are better for families.

I used to bump Screw back in the day. That UGK chopped and screwed was the shyt. I lived in TX for a year and got exposed to it. I thought it was wack at first and after about a week I was hooked. Never drunk syrup though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUcEWPkUSQY

Old 10-07-2015, 12:04 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
You're the only one that's said that.

Houston does have more of a southern appeal to it than Dallas, thus I can see why Houston would appeal more to southern blacks.
I'm the only one who's said a lot of things and ended up being right.

What I mean is that, first, I believe more southern Blacks are in fact choosing Dallas over Houston to relocate. I don't have the numbers for that, but I believe they support what I'm saying. I also heard far more talk about Dallas than Houston while I was in Atlanta, which I remember saying in another thread.

Are you familiar with Dallas yourself, SouthernBoy? I honestly think you may have the wrong idea about what it's like up there.

Edit: Also, I do not see how Houston has more of a "southern appeal" than Dallas, unless you're looking for more humidity and pine trees. Every other typically southern characteristic can be found in DFW in equal amount.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 10-07-2015 at 12:12 PM..

Old 10-07-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah I agree. For as much as people talk about Houston and the advantages it has over DFW. There are only 80 thousand more blacks in Houston than DFW. That's a small tow difference. It's not like Atlanta which has 800,000 more than Houston which is equal to a Fort Worth.
And that's the thing. Houston does really well in the black department for the gap in population it and Atlanta. Houston's blacks are well distributed too, which helps it.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Well, there is no area north of downtown Dallas that is as Black in number as Northeast Houston, but there are notable amounts of single professionals and families in areas like Addison, Richardson, and even Plano.

One thing Atlanta, Houston, and Dallas all have in common is the fact that Blacks (really minorities as a whole) are largely absent from the most coveted, old money districts in each city like West Buckhead, West U Place, the Park Cities, etc. It's time for that to change.
That's true. Riverside Terrace is nice, but if it looked like West U, then it would be the nicest black neighborhood in the south.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:08 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
I'm the only one who's said a lot of things and ended up being right.
Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City