Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 03:04 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Philly also has low rents. Though there are some exceptions in Center City and maybe one or two other prime areas, the rents are relatively cheap.
But are there new units say, in West Philly, renting for $700?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 03:09 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But are there new units say, in West Philly, renting for $700?
Idk. I guess it would depend on where in WP.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:10 PM

Some places you guys should check out if you ever pass through Brooklyn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiKlGkR_oI0

Old 08-25-2016, 03:37 PM

50 Black-Owned Restaurants and Bars in Chicago - I Don't Do Clubs

Old 08-25-2016, 03:47 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
A lot of educated Blacks have never lived in a Black neighborhood. Minor point.

The problem is that there aren't enough affluent Blacks to stimulate that type of demand. While there are approximately 80,000 Blacks earning six figures in the DC area, there are 430,000 Whites earning six figures or more. The bottom line is that they (Whites) have the numbers to completely remake large swathes of inner cities while we do not. I know lots of young Black professionals who live EOTR who complain about the lack of services and amenities and they're not going to get them anytime soon because all of the variables businesses look for (high incomes, educational attainment, etc.) are not there. And the only way to get higher income levels is to (a) have half of the educated Blacks in the DC metro area move to Wards 7 and 8 or (b) have more non-Black people move to the area. Given recent history, I'd say that Option B sounds like the more realistic of those two possibilities.
Agreed on both points. I was speaking more from an inclusive stance meaning if they would increase density and change zoning, you would be able to support the retail you're seeing around other area's. Zoning is the main issue because it would provide incentive to buy up property along major corridors like Minnesota or Martin Luther King and allow developers to master plan their redevelopment with high density similar to H street.

Yes, the neighborhoods would attract other races, however, you would also be able to attract young black people at an affordable price point similar to what they're paying in the suburbs. I do think that new construction of buildings in poor neighborhoods shouldn't be subject to inclusionary zoning until those neighborhoods reach a certain market rate rent average because the financing doesn't work. Cities need to stop looking from a macro level for policy and start looking at a micro level. That's the only way low income area's will see the investment that's needed.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
A lot of educated Blacks have never lived in a Black neighborhood. Minor point.

The problem is that there aren't enough affluent Blacks to stimulate that type of demand.
Here's a map I made of % blacks with college degrees in NYC:

The only real concnetration of educated blacks is in Fort Greene / Prospect Heights/ adjacent parts of Bed-Stuy. Maybe a few parts of Harlem. Part of southeast Queens and eastern Brooklyn (Canarsie & Flatbush) has some but they're not really urban areas in the sense young people would like to move there. Compare to a map of white education, which need a different scale

Spoiler

Old 08-26-2016, 10:53 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Here's a map I made of % blacks with college degrees in NYC:

The only real concnetration of educated blacks is in Fort Greene / Prospect Heights/ adjacent parts of Bed-Stuy. Maybe a few parts of Harlem. Part of southeast Queens and eastern Brooklyn (Canarsie & Flatbush) has some but they're not really urban areas in the sense young people would like to move there. Compare to a map of white education, which need a different scale
I can't view the map, but Clinton Hill(near Bed-Stuy) and Flatlands(near Canarsie and Flatbush) are likely other neighborhoods included in those areas.

Old 08-26-2016, 10:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

What browser are you using? I'm having trouble getting my image links to show.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:05 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
What browser are you using? I'm having trouble getting my image links to show.
Safari..... Here is some Clinton Hill and Flatlands info: City Living: Clinton Hill, Brooklyn is a millennial hotspot | am New York

Unhip Means Inexpensive and Quiet in Flatlands, Brooklyn - WNYC

Old 08-26-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Huh. I'm using Chrome and it's fine, I know they don't work on Internet Explorer. Safari mobile or computer? I included Clinton Hill in the western part of Bed-Stuy. I thought Flatlands was part of Flatbush, not that familiar with that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City