Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 10:03 AM

5,466 posts, read 5,727,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Trentons $50 B of GDP inexplicably goes to NYC not Philadlephia per the OMB.

If there is a news event in Trenton there will be 5 TV/News station from Philly in Trenton to cover it. There will be ZERO from NYC.
The MSA/CSA definitions are based on commuter patterns, not which city reporters report on what locales, otherwise London and NYC would be one MSA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Looks like DC has a good chance to pass SF/Bay market as it has grown by 120,000 in 6 years vs 18,000 or so for SF market but otherwise true.
TV is dying as a medium anyway, its old technology. Young people don't watch cable tv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 10:51 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,893,467 times
Well, in a state with Denver as a major market, MOST people in the Denver Metro aren't even aware COS has it's own market. Had a friend years back who asked me if I caught a story on 9NEWS Denver? I told him no, we don't get Denver television in Colorado Springs, Pueblo or any of Southeastern CO. His reply was, "Gee, you guys are getting to be big-time, when did that happen?" Ah, around 1952.

But comments regarding over-the-air TV becoming irrelevant are correct. With cable/satellite/streaming dominating almost all markets, the local station share is shrinking every year.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:35 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,991,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
TV is dying as a medium anyway, its old technology. Young people don't watch cable tv.
I welcome the death of television. That's why I make the new DMA estimates thread each year and include previous years, to track the decline of television.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:46 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,991,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
There are unique factors at play with media markets. I'm not sure what relevance it has here compared to census numbers which are much more relevant.
Absolutely, I didn't make the thread to advertise DMA's as a means to measure population.

I think its important to familiarize yourselves with the DMA territory map. For example, there are parts of the Los Angeles Media Market that are EVEN FURTHER NORTH geographically than the San Francisco Bay Area Media Market. For those that aren't geography people, San Francisco Bay Area is a place in Northern California, while Los Angeles is a place in Southern California. This clearly shouldn't be taken seriously as a gauge to measure the size of a city. That goes without saying.

http://dishuser.org/TVMarkets/Maps/T...guous%20US.gif

Also, as the data suggests, television and television markets are becoming obsolete. Each year prominent markets post declines in total registered television households. It's pretty clear that the Internet is decommissioning the DMA television markets rapidly. So with a declining measurement of households, the DMA has relatively little stock.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:43 PM

122 posts, read 177,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Sussex County, DE is still covered by Philadelphia broadcasts, though. The beaches are a huge draw, along with the outlets and ferry. People still drive up to PHL rather than Salisbury/Ocean City for flights the majority of the time. The only reason Sussex isn't included in Philly's CSA is commuting. Cultural sphere of influence and media wise, it's a close split between Philadelphia and Baltimore.

But Allentown is Philly all the way. I've lived in NYC, and they NEVER report on Allentown for the daily news. Pennsylvania doesn't "fit" the Tri State definition, literally and figuratively.
Sussex County isn't well covered by the Philadelphia broadcasts. It's primarily covered by the Salisbury, MD TV stations. BWI is just as close for flights.

I disagree that Allentown is Philly all the way. Allentown is somewhat another region from Philly. They don't get the Inquirer circulated. They have different stores (no ShopRite for example), different radio stations. They travel to EWR as much or even more than they do to PHL. New York/NJ commutership is greater than Philly metropolitan area commutership. Their altitude, and climate is different. Their not taking a train into Philly for work since none exists. It's far enough that flight service exists. USAir felt it had to offer an ABE-PHL flight because otherwise ABE customers will just use New York area airports for international flights.

Yes, the Philly TV stations cover the area but lightly compared to WFMZ. Easton is 30 miles closer to New York, than Scranton is to New York, yet Scranton will get all the New York Mets and Yankees games on cable, unlike Easton which is within Phillies exclusive territory, and as far as I know, it's not in Mets/Yankees local viewing area.

Last edited by marltonguy; 09-18-2015 at 10:04 PM..

Old 09-18-2015, 09:58 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,985,395 times
Interesting to see the decline in numbers with the emergence of stuff like Apple TV, Roku, etc as well as Netflix, Hulu, etc. I grew up watching TV (though not a ton) and in the last 5 years I've really only watched a few channels. Always logging into Netflix though.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:01 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,024,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marltonguy View Post
I don't dispute that. Philly TV stations even cover Lancaster and Toms River, which are out of DMA, although mostly weather.

What I find interesting is that the Philly TV station reporters, especially from WPVI, are basically at the Shore (Atlantic-Cape May counties) all the time during the summer. They might as well run the newscast from there. It is a popular place, but it's quite out of the immediate region for the amount of coverage.

Does something similar happen at other TV markets?
I agree, but I assume it's because of how popular the NJ coast is for PA people, especially Philly area. But the Jersey Shore is quite far from Philly, not to mention its western PA suburbs (because anything east - closer to the ocean - is NJ). Cape May is a good 90 miles from Philadelphia. AC about 60. Especially considering what's in between Philly and the NJ coast is largely empty pine barrens, it does seem quite removed IMO. Not a lot of developed land near the southern NJ shore, the further you get from Philly the emptier it gets until you hit the immediate coast.

Jersey Shore Hurricane News, a social media news site based out of South Seaside Park, uses a lot of Philadelphia articles to cite its news and weather about Ocean County (SSP is not considered a "Philly range" area). Philly media focuses some news on Ocean and even Monmouth Counties, considered to be way out of their range. It's odd. It would be like NBC NY publishing rather regular articles about Salem County.

As for the more general topic at hand, TV viewership, IMO, will continue to decline until it's pretty much obsolete. With Netflix and other similar streaming sites or devices for TV and movies and social media for the news and weather, I don't see why TV will be necessary in the future. I'm in my 20s and I haven't watched TV on a regular basis in months. I will watch Mets games on TV and occasionally turn on a movie, but I'm always watching Netflix if I'm watching a show. I've become very conscious of my and others I know lack of physically watching TV, and it's a bit sad TBH.

Old 09-19-2015, 10:50 AM

44 posts, read 51,803 times
I think everyone here understands the OBM definitions for MSA and CSA.

What people don't understand however is that Allentown and Trenton are culturally more tied to Philadelphia than New York despite not being in Philadelphia's MSA/CSA, which takes away a considerable amount of GDP from them (enough to pass Boston).

Too many people live in a black and white world and want to place definitions and boundaries on everything. There's extreme grey area between New York and Philadelphia, especially now in the internet and social media age.

To the average person, Allentown and Trenton are more than likely Philadelphia. Nobody bothers to read or care about MSA/CSA definitions. Id be surprised in the average American even know or understood them. Allentown is in Pennsylvania for godsake and Trenton borders.

Old 09-19-2015, 12:02 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,232,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The MSA/CSA definitions are based on commuter patterns, not which city reporters report on what locales, otherwise London and NYC would be one MSA...
Noted. However what makes more sense for an MSA inclusion.

A. Two intertwined regions that basically grew together and are 100 feet apart.

Or

A. Trenton commuter goes to work in Princeton.Princeton commuters tend to work in New Brunswick,New Brunswick workers head to Morristown,Morristown to Jersey City,jersey City people work in NY.Therefore Trenton is a part of NYC. Absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz
Agree.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:43 PM

84 posts, read 147,501 times
It seems strange that the Miami market is not top 10. I guess Palm Beach is still not included which doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City