Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 01:50 PM

37,308 posts, read 39,707,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
This exactly. A subset of Manhattan is truly international. And only a part of it. Most of the boroughs just 'feel' like dense bedroom communities, parts of which are dominated by migrant enclaves of different stripes.

I always have a laugh when a certain type of New Yorker confects condescension for other places when they're paying 2/3 of their wages to live 1.5 hours from anywhere interesting. But, hey, they're in New York! The center of the world! I suppose its nice to be part of something bigger.

Anyway, to keep this on topic, of course it's ridiculous to call Chicago 'Little New York'. The main reason why not is best shown in an example.

In my limited experience, folks in NY have said, almost uniformly: 'oh yeah, I liked Chicago when I was there'. (I'll emphasise 'almost'.)

Chicagoans, in contrast, have a touch of middle-child insecurity about them. 'We're just as good, but like, totally different.' Usually followed by a hopeful 'come to Chicago, you'll love it'. Of course, the full range moves from Rahm's sneering bloviation to 'man, I wish I could live by the ocean'.

Those two attitudes are borne out in the culture of both places. Hell, they're even borne out in the urban fabric of both places. And to reiterate, that means they're not at all the same.
Large parts of Queens and Brooklyn are very international, perhaps you meant cosmopolitan instead?

If you meant the latter, then at this point, some sections of the East River waterfront (LIC, North Brooklyn, DUMBO and that general area) qualify as well now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 01:59 PM

348 posts, read 460,090 times
It's a midi-New York. There is nothing mini about Chicago. There is a reason for the "second-city" moniker so no reason to get our collective knickers in a bunch when people see a few similarities.

Downtown Chicago does have some resemblances to downtown Manhattan. Michigan Avenue seems a little like Fifth Ave. The density of tall buildings is also a key factor in the resemblance. Lots of good quality art galleries also conjure up a bit of deja vu between the two massive downtowns.

OTOH - There is nothing resembling Michigan River in NYC or Times Square in Chicago, amongst a zillion other differences. The Rapid transit systems are both extensive (NYC far more so) but not that much alike.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:30 PM

672 posts, read 761,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Large parts of Queens and Brooklyn are very international, perhaps you meant cosmopolitan instead?

If you meant the latter, then at this point, some sections of the East River waterfront (LIC, North Brooklyn, DUMBO and that general area) qualify as well now.
The definition of 'international' is nebulous. Cosmopolitan might be okay but let's go with 'global' instead. It's outlook rather than physical composition.

I'd explicitly exclude LIC from your list there. Western Brooklyn on the waterfront is more global than the interior, certainly. But I'd be hesitant to put it in with <96th Manhattan.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:40 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,028,521 times
Little New York? Feels more like a big Cleveland.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:00 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,293,460 times
Are you trolling all threads Chicago is in...

Old 09-29-2015, 08:06 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,801,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Are you trolling all threads Chicago is in...
You've been trolling the Philly board for weeks. Lol

Old 09-29-2015, 08:15 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,940,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardOfRadical View Post
Little New York? Feels more like a big Cleveland.
LOL...maybe in YOUR mind.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:17 AM

233 posts, read 244,448 times
Chicago to me is the American city that performs on global major city standards!!!!!

NYC is just a world city. We know the average NYC loves America

Sadly all cities growing like weeds in America will be called the next NYC.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:37 AM

37,308 posts, read 39,707,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compactspace View Post
The definition of 'international' is nebulous. Cosmopolitan might be okay but let's go with 'global' instead. It's outlook rather than physical composition.

I'd explicitly exclude LIC from your list there. Western Brooklyn on the waterfront is more global than the interior, certainly. But I'd be hesitant to put it in with <96th Manhattan.
Nebulous is right. Queens is a lot more international by I think most stretches--it's just that instead of people that are cosmopolitan in the sense of trying to get an understanding of the world through a specific kind of breadth, it's instead many different sets of people who each have a very strong understanding of specific cultures with much greater depth and all of these people living side by side interacting.

Out of curiosity, why exclude LIC? Lots of artists studios, very large corporate presence, major film studio, fairly major museums, and a lot of people who work in the global companies living there (a single stop away from midtown).

Old 09-29-2015, 09:46 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,293,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You've been trolling the Philly board for weeks. Lol
I merely popped in sporadically and i stand by post on.... things Philly could do in...

Gaining more to in sights i mentioned along its Riverfront (but SOME HATED when i said something like Chicago ) Getting comments like Philly can come to ideas themselves....

How i saw Columbus Dr. Along the Waterfront. Being wide with a green and flowered median. I could see and available to build High-rise living and a Navy Pier Amusement Complex. I mostly got it was tried and I am a outsider and basically unwelcome.

I Suggested Parking lots on the Jersey side of the Delaware River. North of the NJ Aquarium, next to the Golden Gate looking Ben Franklin Bridge. Then re-addressed it when someone posted a Developer plans exactly that there now.... Still doomsayers mocked it as Camden NJ they loathe. and comment its another state too. Heck it is just across the river from Center City Philly. With VIEWS of its evolving Skyline and majestic Bridge.

I Said Philly could add more GREEN on the Median of its main street Broad St. Even flowers. I GOT MY ADVICE IS UNWELCOME. Then a few weeks later. The city of Philly released Plans to begin a tree planting campaign on..... YES BROAD ST.

I gave comments in a thread. Asking why Philly has a hard time getting the Big Gun retailers to build on Chestnut or Walnut Retail corridors downtown. I said lack of some land. Very narrow streets and not seeming to have the land where a couple older buildings can be sacrificed. I did say the best bet is in a new Skyscraper perhaps? Philly also has Malls in their Core that like other Cities are most of their shopping.

My last postings were in a thread addressing Good and bad on the Pope's visit. I mentioned my local news said how elderly going on Church buses had to cancel. Because they were told many would have to Park in them Parking lots i addressed earlier.... across the Delaware in Camden NJ, a 4-mile walk they were FORMALLY TOLD to expect. It was truth in the news on a thread on the Pope's visit....

I did create a thread seen as derogatory on a websight listing statistics the place Philly as the Poorest Big City in the nation. It did gain HEAT. Accusing, but did have decent conversation for a bit of a run.

BUT MY FIRST COMMENTS WHEN I ADDRESSED I DISLIKE AND FIND ROW HOME HOUSING... When Whole blocks are as a WALL OF TIGHT ROWS ON NARROW STREETS and No frontage before sidewalks.
WAS SEEN AS HATE AND BASHING. Since Philly is 65% Row homes a fact. I LIVE IN EASTÉN PA AND SMALL OLDER TOWNS ARE MOSTLY ROWS AND DOUBLE-HOMES. 2-halfs joined as one. THEY HATED MY COMMENTS HOW CHICAGO DID VERY LITTLE ROWS AND ITS BUNGLOW BELT WAS BUILT WHILE PHILLY WAS STILL DOING TIGHT ROWS.. I complemented Chicago built BETTER in my opinion.... THEREFORE IT WAS NEGATIVE TO PHILLY.

I feel I said NOTHING TO TROLL AND JUST BASH PHILLY. I ADDRESSED IN THREADS asking . Things Philly could do to gin more Tourist to How ... I SAW ITS LAKEFRONT DRIVE AS RIPE FOR DEVELOPMENT. This is not negatives.

So i stand by ALL MY POST AS NOT TROLLING. NOT HATE TOWARD PHILLY AND .... OUTSIDERS NOT WELCOME IN PHILLY THREADS... Was what i was bombarded with. I never lived in Philly as Chicago and addressed as Visitor/Tourist which I was.

Never Did I PUT DOWN PHILLY AS ALL NEGATIVE AND A CENTER CITY THAT IS NOT VIBRANT AND IMPROVING.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City