Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 10:21 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,177,483 times

Advertisements

Kansas City-Stellar BBQ
Memphis-More BBQ, though I've never had their brand
Louisville-Said to be a major foodie city
Charlotte-For NC BBQ
Buffalo-Home of the Buffalo Wing!
Chicago-Good Italian food and generally a lot to offer
Cincinnati-Hear there's good German food there
Boston-Seafood!
NYC-So damn many options
New Orleans-Cajun
Miami-Cuban food
San Antonio-More Hispanic (Mexican this time) food
Nashville-Good food in general, also love the bars on Broadway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 11:03 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,371,220 times
In the US (Im from NYC so obviously I can't include that)

1. New Orleans (cajun and creole)
2. Houston (Mexican, Tex-Mex, southern)
3. Chicago (pizza, little bit of everything)
4. San Francisco (burritos and Vietnamese)
5. Los Angeles (Asian and Mexican)
6. Atlanta (southern)
7. Philadelphia (cheesesteaks)

In North America

1. New Orleans (it has such a distinct cuisine hard to find anywhere else)
2. Mexico City (street food as well as tons of upscale restaurants specializing in the world's best cuisine)
3. Lima (I've heard nothing but good things about it)
4. Buenos Aires (while Argentinian might not be the world's..."best" cuisine, I'm still excited to eat empanadas and indulge myself in dulce de leche and parrilladas)
5. Sao Paulo (want to try Brazilian parrilladas too)
6. Oaxaca (same reasons as New Orleans)
7. Salvador de Bahia (a city that has West African, Latin, and Native American influences in its cuisine, it sounds so exciting)

Old 10-16-2015, 10:47 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,745,580 times
Solely for food? New Orleans

Old 10-16-2015, 11:02 AM

10,780 posts, read 23,942,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I actually have gone to New York City a few times mainly to dine in Little Italy and a some other places in the other boroughs.
I was in NYC last summer for a quick 24 hour stay when I went back east. My friends wanted to take me to a particular restaurant in Chinatown for seafood and dumplings and that was our primary reason for going to the city. It did not disappoint, would definitely do it again. It's not easy to find exceptionally good Chinese food in many parts the country, NYC was the best I've had so far.

I also walked around Brooklyn for a bit. I'd go back there for Pizza and would gladly go back to NYC again for the food experience alone.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:07 AM

15,323 posts, read 24,024,881 times
NYC, Chicago, Boston, New Orleans, Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland, Austin, Philadelphia, and LA.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I was in NYC last summer for a quick 24 hour stay when I went back east. My friends wanted to take me to a particular restaurant in Chinatown for seafood and dumplings and that was our primary reason for going to the city. It did not disappoint, would definitely do it again. It's not easy to find exceptionally good Chinese food in many parts the country, NYC was the best I've had so far.
NYC has better Chinese food than people think, though I've had some not so good stuff. IMO the best Chinese food in the city is in Flushing, not Manhattan - overall.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:31 AM

680 posts, read 652,069 times
So this is for the US or the rest of the Americas included if the first is the case then New Orleans, NYC, and San Francisco I guess but if the latter is the case then include Lima, Mexico City, Oaxaca, and maybe Mendoza. Also throw in Montreal-Quebec in here as well... never been but I've heard great things about the food.

I'd put Mexico City and Oaxaca ahead of New Orleans by the way but I'd put New Orleans over NYC and San Fran. I'm not sure on the others seeing as I haven't been to them but heard great things from fellow travelers so I'll give them a nod on my list. I think New Orleans is the quintessential food trip within the United States, it's one of the few locations that people travel to with food being a predominant part of the trip.

Last edited by MuffinMan16; 10-17-2015 at 03:59 AM..

Old 10-17-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan16 View Post
]I think New Orleans is the quintessential food trip within the United States, it's one of the few locations that people travel to with food being a predominant part of the trip.
New Orleans and the general area probably has the best local food of anywhere in the US which is why people do it. However, I disagree with the statement that it's the only places people travel for food. Plenty of people visit NYC, Chicago, the Bay Area, Boston/Maine area, and Los Angeles just for the food. I remember meeting an older couple dining at a nice restaurant in Honolulu, from San Francisco. When we told each other where we were from, they indicated that they travel to a lot of cities in the country just for food and their last trip was actually Chicago (they mentioned eating at Alinea). I have a handful of friends in NYC who have visited Chicago and 75% of the purpose of their trip was to just eat at a ton of places they'd heard about. New Orleans is definitely not the only city where people travel to eat. Food tourism is pretty big in some of the places I just mentioned - the US only having three Michelin rated cities helps with that too (NYC, Chicago, and San Francisco being the only ones currently with a guide).

Old 10-17-2015, 09:58 AM

37,929 posts, read 42,198,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
Kansas City-Stellar BBQ
Memphis-More BBQ, though I've never had their brand
Louisville-Said to be a major foodie city
Charlotte-For NC BBQ
Buffalo-Home of the Buffalo Wing!
Chicago-Good Italian food and generally a lot to offer
Cincinnati-Hear there's good German food there
Boston-Seafood!
NYC-So damn many options
New Orleans-Cajun
Miami-Cuban food
San Antonio-More Hispanic (Mexican this time) food
Nashville-Good food in general, also love the bars on Broadway
Prepare to be sorely disappointed if you want to experience either of NC's signature BBQ styles in Charlotte. Raleigh or Lexington would be much better choices.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:54 AM

7,745 posts, read 5,559,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Prepare to be sorely disappointed if you want to experience either of NC's signature BBQ styles in Charlotte. Raleigh or Lexington would be much better choices.
I much prefer Eastern NC barbecue over Lexington style. Eastern style is unique and delicious.

In terms of places that people travel to specifically for the food I would think San Fran/Napa and New Orleans. I think Chicago, NYC, and LA are world renown for their respective restaurant scenes, but food wouldn't be my #1 reason for going to those cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City