Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More desirable?
Washington DC 93 54.71%
Seattle 77 45.29%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 12:38 PM

13,732 posts, read 15,792,237 times

Advertisements

This question is going to come down to whether you prefer the east coast or NW culture, climate, and urban environment. Its apples and oranges when it comes to the differences between these two cities. They are literally polar opposites in diversity, built environment, pace of life, culture, climate, style, etc. etc. etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 01:04 PM

591 posts, read 822,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
- Seattle being in the middle of nowhere can go either way - better outdoors, but DC is near many other cool cities like NYC and Philly and beaches (actual beachtowns like Ocean City and Virginia Beach), and still has lots of nature nearby like the Appalachians and Shenandoah.

- Seattle's weather is a joke while DC has four season and an actual summertime (which you can enjoy a nearby beach). Seems like for every 5 people who move to Seattle, 3 or 4 will soon leave simply because of the depression-inducing climate.

- Seattle has really weird passive aggressive isolationist people, DC doesn't have the best people in the world but they don't have the "Seattle Freeze".

- DC has better history and architecture, and the area is also a lot more diverse.
Right... 80% of the people that move their entire life to Seattle quickly pack their bags and head for better horizons. Your theory has to be right.

And the only people that struggle with that "Seattle Freeze" that you probably read about on the internet are the people with zero social skills to begin with.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:11 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,828,921 times
This would be a super tough choice for me.

While I haven't been to Seattle and I know I would love it, I just can't stand gloomy weather nor homogeneous populations. While Seattle does have its diversity, for being a major city it's pretty homogeneous, esp compared to its peers. I am big into Latin American culture, and I get the impression in Seattle it's not prevalent. But at the same time I love the ocean and mountains, and I am very outdoorsy.

I love DC. What I don't like is the homogeneous workforce, meaning mostly everyone works for the government that lives there or the transient feel it has as well. Like no one is really from DC originally. But I do love its diversity, architecture and the urban experience it gives you.

I would have to go with DC. I think it would just offer more of what I like to have on a daily basis which is ethnic diversity (in regards to people, restaurants) and a dense, walkable and beautiful city. Also, DC is closer to a lot more while Seattle is a lot more isolated. My annual trips to Miami would become a big problem if I lived in Seattle.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:42 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,180,755 times
I've been to both. Although DC is the capital, IMO it doesn't stack up to Seattle(hence why Californians are moving there in droves). The only advantage i see in DC is museums/monuments(obviously) and the whole gov experience/importance. Other than that, Seattle is more techie, a major manufacturing city, picturesque, you have Puget Sound to look at(not a river), mountains, skyline) etc..etc.. I prefer Seattle..

Old 11-03-2015, 03:07 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,892,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
- Seattle's weather is a joke while DC has four season and an actual summertime (which you can enjoy a nearby beach). Seems like for every 5 people who move to Seattle, 3 or 4 will soon leave simply because of the depression-inducing climate.
Seattle has a fantastic summer, a lovely autumn, a mild spring, and a dreary yet not freezing winter. The weather here is actually fantastic depending on who you ask, and drastically over-exaggerated.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:08 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,225,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
This would be a super tough choice for me.

While I haven't been to Seattle and I know I would love it, I just can't stand gloomy weather nor homogeneous populations. While Seattle does have its diversity, for being a major city it's pretty homogeneous, esp compared to its peers. I am big into Latin American culture, and I get the impression in Seattle it's not prevalent. But at the same time I love the ocean and mountains, and I am very outdoorsy.

I love DC. What I don't like is the homogeneous workforce, meaning mostly everyone works for the government that lives there or the transient feel it has as well. Like no one is really from DC originally. But I do love its diversity, architecture and the urban experience it gives you.

I would have to go with DC. I think it would just offer more of what I like to have on a daily basis which is ethnic diversity (in regards to people, restaurants) and a dense, walkable and beautiful city. Also, DC is closer to a lot more while Seattle is a lot more isolated. My annual trips to Miami would become a big problem if I lived in Seattle.
Almost 300,000 of DC's 660,000 population is originally from The City and its near suburbs, a majority of the local inner city Black population. Yes there's hella transplants in DC but there's still more than a good number of native-born Washingtonians living there.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:24 PM

213 posts, read 278,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
LOL ummmmm what? Seattle is a cool city but the fact that you think it's a clear winner is pretty funny.
I pick Washington, D.C. for a multitude of reasons.

- Great history
-Better Architecture
-Better located(and not so isolated like Seattle)
-Has great 4 seasons and is not as cloudy and grey all the time
-People are not as stuck up
-Better public transportation system
-Basically all of the museums(which are world class) are free
- It's a quick flight or train ride to NYC
- Although seattle wins in outdoor life, DC has the Potomac river, many biking and hiking trails, it's near the coast,ect.
- Has better higher ed
- Has some of the best hotels and new restaurants in the country.

DC area is also growing and developing really quickly and the amount of new projects coming into the city is great. I would pick to live in DC over Seattle any day of the week.
Overall, I agree with most of this. I do think Seattle has slightly better restaurants overall, and I prefer the bar scene in Seattle, but most of what you wrote there is accurate. One bone to pick, though, is about the people. I found people in DC to generally have a very preppy, stuck up vibe. I guess you could argue that Seattlites (city proper and the Eastside, but not other suburbs or other cities in the region, like Tacoma and Everett, which actually feel pretty blue collar) have a more smarmy, know-it-all vibe. But the people in DC are at least as stuck up, just in a different way. Also, Seattle has a West Coast vibe, hills, and much better natural beauty and outdoor opportunities, which some people prefer. It also has a really strong maritime culture and feel that DC lacks.

Also, while it is isolated compared to DC, there are two cool cities within an under-3 hour drive (Portland and Vancouver BC)

Old 11-03-2015, 03:26 PM

2,828 posts, read 2,295,880 times
From an urbanism perspective, I would say Seattle has a better mixed-use downtown. But, DC has better urban neighborhoods. Overall, I would say DC's sizable advantage in the neighborhoods out way Seattle's more modest advantage in the downtown.

Leaving aside the wildcard that is LA, I would say these are the top two urban cities outside the NYC, CHI, SF, PHILLY,BOS, PHILLY crew. DC actually stacks up pretty well with Boston and Philly, but I penalize it for it's underwhelming downtown. It doesn't really have a big central city core like the others. Seattle is still a tier below the Bos, Philly, DC crew, but it catching up. Perhaps in a generation it will be on par.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:28 PM

32,120 posts, read 34,787,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
From an urbanism perspective, I would say Seattle has a better mixed-use downtown. But, DC has better urban neighborhoods. Overall, I would say DC's sizable advantage in the neighborhoods out way Seattle's more modest advantage in the downtown.

Leaving aside the wildcard that is LA, I would say these are the top two urban cities outside the NYC, CHI, SF, PHILLY,BOS, PHILLY crew. DC actually stacks up pretty well with Boston and Philly, but I penalize it for it's underwhelming downtown. It doesn't really have a big central city core like the others. Seattle is still a tier below the Bos, Philly, DC crew, but it catching up. Perhaps in a generation it will be on par.
It has a big central city core. In fact, its CBD has the third largest employment population after NYC and Chicago. It just doesn't have skyscrapers.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:38 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL63 View Post
Dallas? Sorry but I can't take that list seriously now with that city high up there. I been there many times, and while you get good cost of living, there are certainly very little redeeming qualities that makes it desirable. I have many friends that live there that echo the same thoughts, and generally says it's very boring and don't plan to stay there forever. So to have it ranked number 4 in the country as a favorite over Chicago and San Fran and others makes me question whether this really was a poll...
^^^This. I moved from Dallas to DC after living there for 2 years for these EXACT reasons. So much happier in DC despite the COL, traffic and all. I do miss Dallas shopping though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City