Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2018, 08:33 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,073,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Like Mutiny said, this is exactly why I listed Charlotte as sterile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
"Colorful old buildings" in Charlotte? Surely it has a couple of historic buildings remaining but that descriptor is more appropriate for Charleston than Charlotte. As a former resident of Charlotte, I definitely understand it being described as sterile and it's not too far from the truth. Charm and "subtropical beauty" really have nothing to do with sterility Anthony.
Quote:
1) We can certainly agree to disagree on the historic thing; even Charlotteans know that's not Charlotte's strong suit. The contemporary developments themselves are nice but honestly not unlike what you see elsewhere. As a former resident of the city, I completely understand the "sterile" descriptor. It just is what it is.
Quote:
Why? I get why Charlotte shows up here; a lot of Uptown is very new and is overall very clean, and there simply aren't as many historic structures remaining compared to the downtowns of similarly-sized cities. Uptown can be characterized as relatively sterile and still be energetic and vibrant at the same time.
Here are the receipts.

I'm seriously flummoxed by how some are seeing my most recent posts as arguing otherwise regarding Charlotte when I made my position clear in this thread way back when it was first started and have held a consistent position since then. Maybe I need to dumb things down for some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 08:30 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,934,928 times
Downtown Seattle is sterile

Old 07-19-2018, 01:15 AM

1,581 posts, read 2,830,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Downtown Seattle is sterile
Great sarcasm about the fastest growing downtown in nation . Also has one of the worst homeless problems apposite of sterile.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:17 AM

511 posts, read 402,435 times
I personally have never heard about anything cool about downtown Phoenix and there is a reason for it.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:23 PM

5,003 posts, read 6,002,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
I personally have never heard about anything cool about downtown Phoenix and there is a reason for it.
Downtown Phoenix is so small that it’s more similar to the secondary business areas of most sunbelt cities.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:04 AM

8,649 posts, read 10,180,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
Yes, and the reason is likely that you have never been to downtown Phoenix, but are relying on what you hear. I personally find downtown Austin fun, but I actually used to live in the area and have been back to experience. Just about every downtown has elements of coolness to them, but if you rely on what you hear, especially here on CD, you'll be disappointed.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:40 PM

474 posts, read 276,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
We appreciate the honorable mention (wink), but if this thread is truly about the top 5 sterile downtowns, then DC doesn't belong to that group. Downtown DC is a geographically large area, comparatively speaking, and the character of downtown is not the same throughout. Downtown DC is not all chains either. There is quite a bit of nightlife that happens in Downtown DC as well. And, local, independent restaurants, too.

But, carry on. And, good luck in downtown Baltimore.
That's just the feeling I got there. I used to live in Tyson's and went into DC probably about 10 times a month... but I never lived there. Also spent a lot of time there on weekends.

Downtown Bmore is NOT better than downtown DC. I love Baltimore but i'm not a delusional booster. I prefer Bmore architecturally by a longshot, and just get a more gritty, urban feel from it. The majority of people i know prefer DC though.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:38 PM

6,751 posts, read 6,757,970 times
Charlotte is the capital of sterile. DT Dallas is like Greenwich Village compared to Uptown Charlotte.

Baltimore is the most rotted out 300,000+ city in the country. Impressively awful.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:12 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Charlotte is the capital of sterile. DT Dallas is like Greenwich Village compared to Uptown Charlotte.

Baltimore is the most rotted out 300,000+ city in the country. Impressively awful.
At least no one can accuse you of not knowing how to utilize hyperbole.

Good one about uptown Charlotte compared to DT Dallas. Although no one would come close to mistaking uptown Charlotte for downtown New Orleans, no.

And you obviously haven't been to downtown Baltimore if you think its "rotted out" and "impressively awful." That simply couldn't be further from the truth.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:18 PM

9,698 posts, read 9,443,867 times
Orlando
Indianapolis
Houston
Charlotte
Oklahoma City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City