Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 09:35 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,482,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Yeah, Atlanta Metro is about 5.4, he's a little off. Nashville is also about 1.6 or 1.7.
I heard from an Atlanta city council member it just went over 6.1 million for Atlanta metro either way its way bigger than Nashville.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:45 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,635,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
The more Atlanta grows the more problems they will have especially with their traffic is already a nightmare. I was thinking about moving to Atlanta but not until they improve their traffic situation it's already near NYC level bad.
Live in a neighborhood served by MARTA and/or live near your job. You're only going to have serious problems if you choose to live miles away from the city and have to commute in to work. Also get a bike if you live intown.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:47 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,482,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Live in a neighborhood served by MARTA and/or live near your job. You're only going to have serious problems if you choose to live miles away from the city and have to commute in to work. Also get a bike if you live intown.
I am content with just visiting Atlanta a lot and not moving to Atlanta, it suits my needs right now. I like visiting Atlanta for the weekend because of the nightlife, I do not know if I would like living in Atlanta so for now I am good but thanks.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:02 AM

2,998 posts, read 3,112,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I am surprised no one mentioned the 1996 Olympics( I even forgot in my previous post) this really increased the international visibility of Atlanta.

And Nashville being "Music City" I think dampened the growth, it was known for being the center of " Hillbilly Music" and for those from the Northeast it was a negative.
Great points.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:02 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,151,843 times
Are people forgetting about Atlanta's great universities as well? It has GA Tech and Emory so it has a large talent pool. Not only that, but well respected HBCUs, well, Spelmann at least...Morehouse used to be more respected.

It's mostly location and airport. Remember, to the south of GA, there's is a massive, fast growing state called Florida. Atlanta has easy access to Florida via I-75 so naturally, it becomes a logistic hub for the Southeast. From there, manufacturing takes off. Because of it's relative low tax environment and "business friendly" policies, corporations begin relocating to Atlanta, not to mention it's location, quick access to manufactured goods, the airport, and large talent pool because of the abundance of colleges and universities.

And a lot of people say the Olympics, but Atlanta was booming prior to the Olympics. I mean, in the 1970s, Seattle, St Louis, and some other metros were a larger metro areas than Atlanta was. Really goes to show you just how fast Atlanta has grown.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:07 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,088,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Are people forgetting about Atlanta's great universities as well? It has GA Tech and Emory so it has a large talent pool. Not only that, but well respected HBCUs, well, Spelmann at least...Morehouse used to be more respected.

It's mostly location and airport. Remember, to the south of GA, there's is a massive, fast growing state called Florida. Atlanta has easy access to Florida via I-75 so naturally, it becomes a logistic hub for the Southeast. From there, manufacturing takes off. Because of it's relative low tax environment and "business friendly" policies, corporations begin relocating to Atlanta, not to mention it's location, quick access to manufactured goods, the airport, and large talent pool because of the abundance of colleges and universities.

And a lot of people say the Olympics, but Atlanta was booming prior to the Olympics. I mean, in the 1970s, Seattle, St Louis, and some other metros were a larger metro areas than Atlanta was. Really goes to show you just how fast Atlanta has grown.
Nashville has Vanderbilt and 10-15 additional colleges and universities within its city limits, including 3 HBCUs. The second largest (barely) university in the state is also in the Nashville Metro Area. Nashville isn't lacking in that regard.

Old 12-11-2015, 12:13 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,151,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Nashville has Vanderbilt and 10-15 additional colleges and universities withing its city limits, including 3 HBCUs. Nashville isn't lacking in that regard.
I didn't say that was the only factor, but it is clearly a factor in Atlanta's rapid economic and population growth.

It's location and the airport mostly. The problem is Nashville is that it has treacherous mountains to the east so trucks can't easily travel to the eastern seaboard without going through winding roads whereas with Atlanta, you can take I-85 north and bypass all of the mountains to the eastern seaboard, not to mention easy access to Savannah's port and rapidly growing Florida. Trucks almost must go through GA to get to most parts of the eastern half of the country from Florida.

If you look at historic state populations, Atlanta boomed around the same time Florida started booming. There ya go.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:17 PM

632 posts, read 934,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Are people forgetting about Atlanta's great universities as well? It has GA Tech and Emory so it has a large talent pool. Not only that, but well respected HBCUs, well, Spelmann at least...Morehouse used to be more respected. .
Morehouse is still very respected.

Old 12-11-2015, 01:55 PM

2,998 posts, read 3,112,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
Morehouse is still very respected.
Yep. There are only a handful of HBCUs that are still respected and competitve and Atlanta has two of them with Morehouse and Spellman.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:08 PM

632 posts, read 934,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yep. There are only a handful of HBCUs that are still respected and competitve and Atlanta has two of them with Morehouse and Spellman.
It's "Spelman". No one seems to know how to "spell" it correctly. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City