Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more like NYC?
Boston 74 25.96%
Philadelphia 211 74.04%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 10:07 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,099,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconada View Post
Demographics 2017

White population------ Philly 34.5% ----- NYC 31.7% ----- Boston 43.9%
Italians ------------------------ 6.6% ----------- 6.2% --------------- 7.5%
Irish -------------------------- 10.0% ----------- 4.3% -------------- 13.9%
Other White ------------------ 17.9% ---------- 21.2% ------------- 22.5%

Black population------ Philly 40.9% ----- NYC 21.8% ----- Boston 23.1%
American Black ------------- 36.2% ---------- 10.3% -------------- 11.3%
West Indians ----------------- 2.3% ----------- 8.5% ---------------- 7.0%
Africans ----------------------- 2.4% ----------- 3.0% ---------------- 4.8%

Hispanic population------ Philly 14.8% ----- NYC 29.2% ----- Boston 20.4%
Puerto Ricans -------------------- 8.9% ----------- 8.2% --------------- 6.2%
Dominicans ---------------------- 1.7% ----------- 8.3% --------------- 6.3%
Mexicans ------------------------- 1.2% ----------- 3.8% --------------- 0.9%
Other Hispanics ------------------ 3.3% ------------8.7% --------------- 7.2%

Asian---- Philly 7.2% ---- NYC 14.4% ---- Boston 9.7%

Demographically speaking, Boston is more similar to modern-day New York. Philly reminds of New York in the 1980s before American blacks and Puerto Ricans started leaving in large droves and the city's black/hispanic populations started diversifying. Also, Boston is far more integrated among its black/hispanic populations similar to the Bronx, while in North Philadelphia the black (mainly AA) and hispanic (mainly PR) communities are sharpely segregated along Germantown Avenue.

Should know that Boston is a secluded city with the only close MAJOR city being NYC, its New England to the core but most of its "outta state" influence comes from New York. Boston is the probably the 3rd Caribbean hotspot after NYC and Miami, especially popular for Dominicans Haitians and Cape Verdeans. Philadelphia does have large (and growing) Dominican and West Indian populations compared to the rest of the country, but compared to NYC Boston & Miami its rather small, Philly is dominated by American blacks and Ricans. Philadelphia is smack dab between NYC and the Baltimore/DC area, and thats reflected heavily, my opinion.
Cape Verdeans are Africans, not Caribbeans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 07:31 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Being that Philly is laid out as a grid clearly makes it more like NYC. That will become more evident as Philly's skyline pulls away from Boston in the coming years.

They are both similar to NYC in some ways. Both very different in other ways.
What makes you think Philly's skyline is going to pull away from Boston's in the coming years? The only variables to that would be FAA height restrictions and NIMBY, both of which Boston has in no small number. About half of Boston is laid out on grids and NYC outside of Manhattan is just a mess of many different grids.

Old 04-03-2019, 03:36 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbobsully94 View Post
About half of Boston is laid out on grids
The only real gridded parts of Boston are the Back Bay and South Boston. The South End comes close.

The rest of the city is laid out in the random English fashion.

Multiple grids and grids that bend are actually pretty common in gridded cities not part of the survey of the Northwest Territory or the Lousiana Purchase. Look at Baltimore, Philadelphia, New Orleans and Richmond, to name a few.

Old 04-03-2019, 04:09 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,278,508 times
Philly feels bigger..obviously nowhere near NYCs level. But since "biggness" is an essential attribute of NYC, I would say gives Philly the advantage.

Boston is closer on economic strength and more polished professional feel.

Old 04-04-2019, 09:30 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Philly feels bigger..obviously nowhere near NYCs level. But since "biggness" is an essential attribute of NYC, I would say gives Philly the advantage.

Boston is closer on economic strength and more polished professional feel.
I believe Philadelphia technically has a larger economy, or its essentially equal to Boston.
The city has its struggles, but its performs very well economically as a city and region.

Old 04-04-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I believe Philadelphia technically has a larger economy, or its essentially equal to Boston.
The city has its struggles, but its performs very well economically as a city and region.
Yeppers.

According to the most recent BLS figures, for calendar 2017, Philadelphia and Boston are the 8th and 9th largest metropolitan economies in the country, in that order.

Greater Philadelphia GDP, 2017: $444.975 billion
Greater Boston GDP, 2017: $438.684 billion

Old 04-04-2019, 02:28 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Yeppers.

According to the most recent BLS figures, for calendar 2017, Philadelphia and Boston are the 8th and 9th largest metropolitan economies in the country, in that order.

Greater Philadelphia GDP, 2017: $444.975 billion
Greater Boston GDP, 2017: $438.684 billion
Although to counteract what the inevitable response will be, Philly's MSA population is, as I recall, around 1 million or so greater than Boston's, so currently Boston has the higher per capita rating. Others often point to the CSA ranking, for which Providence, RI, Worcester, MA and Manchester, NH give it a significant push over Philly's CSA (Reading, PA and Atlantic City, NJ don't add nearly as much).

But that being said, regarding the sheer size of core area economy (not counting ancillary satellite cities like with the CSA) Philadelphia often doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:57 PM

2,814 posts, read 2,278,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Although to counteract what the inevitable response will be, Philly's MSA population is, as I recall, around 1 million or so greater than Boston's, so currently Boston has the higher per capita rating.

Yeah, that is what I meant by economic strength. Higher per capita GDP/value added economy, more startup/VC activity, generally ranks on financial center lists, etc. Philly is also strong, but I would say Boston is objectively stronger.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
Yeah, that is what I meant by economic strength. Higher per capita GDP/value added economy, more startup/VC activity, generally ranks on financial center lists, etc. Philly is also strong, but I would say Boston is objectively stronger.
That's true, but the gap in what I've bolded may also be closing. From the woman who sits across from me at work:

Philadelphia Is Now One of the Nation's Top 10 Regions for Venture Activity | Philadelphia Magazine

There's still work to be done, though, as the local pool of capital isn't as large as it should be in order to sustain this level of activity.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:47 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Lower Manhattan to me feels like DT Boston. CC Philadelphia is more Midtown Manhattan IMO. NYC is 5 boroughs however, North Philly and West Philly are more like an urban neighborhood in BK or the BX than anywhere in Boston.

All this Italians and Irish vs Puerto Ricans and Dominicans talk to me has nothing to do with what cities feel like the other.

Last edited by the resident09; 04-05-2019 at 08:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City