Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more like NYC?
Boston 74 25.96%
Philadelphia 211 74.04%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 08:34 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
And Mark Wahlberg alone is more known than all except Will Smith and possibly Cosby. You all keep missing the point, we can do a poll on C-D, Mark Wahlberg will certainly beat out all of the names you listed except for Will Smith when it comes to assigning a city.
I wouldn't put Mark Wahlberg over Kevin Hart either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 08:46 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I wouldn't put Mark Wahlberg over Kevin Hart either.
No but maybe Evans, Poehler, or Carell?

Also, I haven’t been following. Is the topic “NYC has famous people. So whichever city has more famous people gets a point.”?

Old 09-23-2020, 08:52 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,118,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
No but maybe Evans, Poehler, or Carell?

Also, I haven’t been following. Is the topic “NYC has famous people. So whichever city has more famous people gets a point.”?

That's what it turned into because people have trouble reading. my main comment was that New York and Bostonians share that boastful pride compared to Philadelphians (aside from Eagles fans). Now somehow it's a popularity match.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:12 PM

6,807 posts, read 6,036,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I didn't know that Captain America was a comedic role.
Oh I thought we were talking about pop culture icons in general. I also thought I was being generous by not mentioning Krasinski or Kaling, who I think are on-par with Hart in terms of famous-ness.

Back on the NYC subject, Bostonian Amy Poehler co-founded NYC improv group: the Upright Citizens Brigade. Bostonian Leonard Bernstein directed the New York Philharmonic for a long time.

AOC is a Boston University alum.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 09-23-2020 at 09:45 PM..

Old 09-23-2020, 09:24 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
City Proper Philly natives
Kevin Hart
Will Smith
Chris Matthews
Kevin Bacon
The Roots
Bernard Hopkins
Joey Merlino
Bill Cosby
Danny "swift" Garcia

People from Close inner ring urban suburbs, and outer suburbs of the greater Philadelphia area
Kobe (born in Philly but raised in the burbs, frequented the city often just to play ball)
Tina Fey
M Shyamalan
Jim Cramer

Etc

When it comes to celebrities and athletes repping their city, Philly has far more famous representatives overall than Boston. Look at the rosters of many NBA, NFL, and MLB. Its not really close when it comes to sports. The NHL is probably the only sport where Boston exceeds Philly. Also, don't make me even go far in depth when it comes to hip-hop/rap which is where Philly destroys Boston in and the overall culture, vibe and contributions. This is exactly where Philly is way more similar to NYC than Boston is.. Philly is literally the 2nd city when you think of Northeast or the "east coast" hip hop sound. Besides guru, the first hip hop rep that comes to mind when I think of Boston hib hop/rap is Benzino, who was straight up trash. Joyner Lucas ain't from Boston.
Athletics simply aren’t a major part of HS in New England as we put a premium on academics and athletic facilities are bare and dated if they exist at all. Far fewer games are allowed than Pennsylvania and travel is not restricred probably part of the reason why the schools are stronger. Despite all of this Boston put out a decent amount of athletes in every sport accept football. No one acre about football in New England though...

Prep school basketball and public school hockey are all that matters.

Philly isn’t much of a hip hop heavyweight with most of its influence coming in the past 6/7 years. And even then it’s somewhat limited. It’s better than Boston but it’s not really a juggernaut. Very much in the shadow of NYC.

You’re just writing if tons of actors and personalities from the Boston area Including Jay Leno Conan O Brien Toure Free and many others. Benzino founded the source I’d say he’s pretty influential overall. Many produces from Boston have billboard hits, less so rappers. Although there have been several mainstream Boston rap acts. I read an article saying Boston artists are told by management not to mention Boston because it hurts their credibility. So the influence is understated and artists handicapped .

https://thescopeboston.org/873/opini...inue-to-write/

50 Cent was from Jamaica, New York, about a 20-minute drive from where I grew up. When I was a kid, it was never too hard for me to think of a rapper who came from nearby. My friends wore Rocawear clothing to school – a brand started by Brooklyn’s Jay-Z. Everywhere you went, you would see murals honoring artists like Biggie Smalls or Big Pun (from Brooklyn and the Bronx, respectively).
A decade after that back-seat vignette, I moved to Boston, and I had a feeling it was going to be different. I had never heard of any rappers from Boston before. What kind of a place was I going to? Was there even hip-hop in Boston? ...”

“ As it turns out, there is a vibrant array of hip-hop artists here. Adams went on to list even more names that he wouldn’t hesitate to compare to the biggest artists in the country. Many of them are well established and touring the world, but I never would have known it if I hadn’t explicitly gone looking for them. Boston’s emcees are incredibly talented, and they’re just as crucial to hip-hop culture as artists anywhere else. They deserve to be given the same opportunities as rappers from other cities, and they deserve be recognized for their work.”

This is form a New Yorker^

“ There’s not yet a Boston Meek Mill,” said Brendan McGuirk, making reference to the rap sensation that sprung out of Philadelphia’s underground when he signed to Rick Ross’ Maybach Music Group label in 2011. McGuirk is a freelance journalist for Metro Boston, specializing in culture and entertainment, and he talked a lot about a theme that plays a central role in this conversation: stigma.
This is definitely part of why we don’t hear about Boston’s hip-hop scene. There is a clear reputation here, and rappers probably don’t want to be associated with it.
“When people say ‘Boston,’ people think of sports teams, they think of Southie, and they think of white guys with accents,” McGuirk said. “That’s like a really pervasive and strong iconography. And of course, there’s a tremendous amount of erasure in that image … so as it relates to the music scene, in some ways I think it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy.”

“ But McGuirk added that the idea that Boston is a “white” city only maintains the lineage of white supremacy by reinforcing the invisibility of communities of color. I believe this is part of why Boston’s hip-hop is not talked about – many of the artists here are hesitant to identify with that imagery.”

A New Yorker who lives in DC. So it’s not that the culture doesn’t exist (it does in abundance) it’s just not celebrated locally or nationally.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:25 PM

9 posts, read 4,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
City Proper Philly natives
Kevin Hart
Will Smith
Chris Matthews
Kevin Bacon
The Roots
Bernard Hopkins
Joey Merlino
Bill Cosby
Danny "swift" Garcia

People from Close inner ring urban suburbs, and outer suburbs of the greater Philadelphia area
Kobe (born in Philly but raised in the burbs, frequented the city often just to play ball)
Tina Fey
M Shyamalan
Jim Cramer

Etc

When it comes to celebrities and athletes repping their city, Philly has far more famous representatives overall than Boston. Look at the rosters of many NBA, NFL, and MLB. Its not really close when it comes to sports. The NHL is probably the only sport where Boston exceeds Philly. Also, don't make me even go far in depth when it comes to hip-hop/rap which is where Philly destroys Boston in and the overall culture, vibe and contributions. This is exactly where Philly is way more similar to NYC than Boston is.. Philly is literally the 2nd city when you think of Northeast or the "east coast" hip hop sound. Besides guru, the first hip hop rep that comes to mind when I think of Boston hib hop/rap is Benzino, who was straight up trash. Joyner Lucas ain't from Boston.
Thats true... NYC, NJ, & Philly is basically the epicenter of eastcoast hip hop. DC, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, & Boston have their fair share of artists, but the vast vast majority is from the former areas.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:25 PM

Reminder: Philly is definitely more similar to NYC. But it’s not a landslide. Philly clearly loses in some areas.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:28 PM

9 posts, read 4,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Athletics simply aren’t a major part of HS in New England as we put a premium on academics and athletic facilities are bare and dated if they exist at all. Far fewer games are allowed than Pennsylvania and travel is not restricred probably part of the reason why the schools are stronger. Despite all of this Boston put out a decent amount of athletes in every sport accept football. No one acre about football in New England though...

Prep school basketball and public school hockey are all that matters.

Philly isn’t much of a hip hop heavyweight with most of its influence coming in the past 6/7 years. And even then it’s somewhat limited. It’s better than Boston but it’s not really a juggernaut. Very much in the shadow of NYC.

You’re just writing if tons of actors and personalities from the Boston area Including Jay Leno Conan O Brien Toure Free and many others. Benzino founded the source I’d say he’s pretty influential overall. Many produces from Boston have billboard hits, less so rappers. Although there have been several mainstream Boston rap acts. I read an article saying Boston artists are told by management not to mention Boston because it hurts their credibility. So the influence is understated and artists handicapped .

https://thescopeboston.org/873/opini...inue-to-write/

50 Cent was from Jamaica, New York, about a 20-minute drive from where I grew up. When I was a kid, it was never too hard for me to think of a rapper who came from nearby. My friends wore Rocawear clothing to school – a brand started by Brooklyn’s Jay-Z. Everywhere you went, you would see murals honoring artists like Biggie Smalls or Big Pun (from Brooklyn and the Bronx, respectively).
A decade after that back-seat vignette, I moved to Boston, and I had a feeling it was going to be different. I had never heard of any rappers from Boston before. What kind of a place was I going to? Was there even hip-hop in Boston? ...”

“ As it turns out, there is a vibrant array of hip-hop artists here. Adams went on to list even more names that he wouldn’t hesitate to compare to the biggest artists in the country. Many of them are well established and touring the world, but I never would have known it if I hadn’t explicitly gone looking for them. Boston’s emcees are incredibly talented, and they’re just as crucial to hip-hop culture as artists anywhere else. They deserve to be given the same opportunities as rappers from other cities, and they deserve be recognized for their work.”

This is form a New Yorker^

“ There’s not yet a Boston Meek Mill,” said Brendan McGuirk, making reference to the rap sensation that sprung out of Philadelphia’s underground when he signed to Rick Ross’ Maybach Music Group label in 2011. McGuirk is a freelance journalist for Metro Boston, specializing in culture and entertainment, and he talked a lot about a theme that plays a central role in this conversation: stigma.
This is definitely part of why we don’t hear about Boston’s hip-hop scene. There is a clear reputation here, and rappers probably don’t want to be associated with it.
“When people say ‘Boston,’ people think of sports teams, they think of Southie, and they think of white guys with accents,” McGuirk said. “That’s like a really pervasive and strong iconography. And of course, there’s a tremendous amount of erasure in that image … so as it relates to the music scene, in some ways I think it’s a self-fulfilling prophecy.”

“ But McGuirk added that the idea that Boston is a “white” city only maintains the lineage of white supremacy by reinforcing the invisibility of communities of color. I believe this is part of why Boston’s hip-hop is not talked about – many of the artists here are hesitant to identify with that imagery.”

A New Yorker who lives in DC. So it’s not that the culture doesn’t exist (it does in abundance) it’s just not celebrated locally or nationally.
Philadelphia is definitely among the Top 5 most influential cities in hip hop culture, in the likes of New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago

Old 09-23-2020, 09:30 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandCharm View Post
Philadelphia is definitely among the Top 5 most influential cities in hip hop culture, in the likes of New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago
I don't know about that. Philly also has to compete with New Orleans, Miami, Houston, Oakland and Detroit.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandCharm View Post
NYC LA ATL CHICAGO HOUSTON NEW ORLEANS MiAMI and TORONTO are all above Philly.

Maybe Oakland/SF
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City